News: Obama chooses Elena Kagan for US Supreme Court

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I think it's another example of Obama sucking at appointing people to important positions.

Go ... Fightin' Cabinet of Mediocrity.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If Obama had even a fraction of brains and political savvy that his blind worshippers credit him with, he would have named Sarah Palin to the Supreme Court.

You know, killing two birds with one stone?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
If Obama had even a fraction of brains and political savvy that his blind worshippers credit him with, he would have named Sarah Palin to the Supreme Court.

Why? I am sure he is hoping she will be the Republican (or the Tea Party) nominee in 2012, so that he can win by a landslide. She has a very low approval rating (except with the extreme right), she has huge negatives among the woman. i would very much like to see her to be the Republican nominee, but I don't think Republicans are that stupid.

Anyway, if she ends up on the Supreme Court, that will be a black day for USA. She will hand down rulings, not according to US constitution, but according to her interpretation of the Bible.

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Anyway, this nomination changes nothing, it is simply one liberal replacing another liberal. After the usual shenanigans by right wing extremists, by teabaggers etc., I expect she will be confirmed.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Can't he find someone cute?

I was hoping for Michigan governor Granholm:

Well, maybe next time.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Neither was John Marshall who is acknowledged as the greatest supreme court justice in USA history.

I heard on CNN, in the 50s when the Supreme Court handed down Brown vs. Board of Education, not a single Supreme Court justice had been a judge before. The custom of appointing judges started after that.

Whether somebody will be a good justice or not has nothing to do with whether they have been a judge before.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Palin in the Supreme Court?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Good one - gave me quite a laugh there, buddy!!

I can just imagine the scene, gopher. Texas passes anti-Sodomy law once again, making homosexuality an offense punishable by 10 years imprisonment. The case goes before the Supreme Court.

There is Palin, hearing the case with the Bible in one hand (Fundamentalist version of course, not one of 'them Catholic Bibles'), referring to it as the case is being heard. At the end, she hands down the ruling. According to the Bible (I mean, according to the constitution) homosexuals deserve death penalty, so Texas law is unconstitutional. Replace ten years imprisonment by death penalty and Texas can go ahead with the law.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Whether somebody will be a good justice or not has nothing to do with whether they have been a judge before.

Quite so.

And, of course, we know that someone who does not understand the technical differences between email and text messages should not be allowed to hear a case involving text messages and email.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Quite so.

And, of course, we know that someone who does not understand the technical differences between email and text messages should not be allowed to hear a case involving text messages and email.

Absolutely. If somebody is hearing a case involving E Mail and text messages, it is incumbent upon him to find out the meaning of the terms before hearing the case, rather than expose his ignorance during the case.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

She's good looking, Y.J. but Supreme Court material?????????? :lol::lol::lol:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Absolutely. If somebody is hearing a case involving E Mail and text messages, it is incumbent upon him to find out the meaning of the terms before hearing the case, rather than expose his ignorance during the case.

So, you expect the Justices to ferret out details before hearing evidence......???

About what I would expect. :roll:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
JLM posted about Sarah Palin, in reference to my tongue-in-cheek post that she should be nominated to the United States Supreme Court:

"She's good looking, Y.J. but Supreme Court material?????????? :lol:"

Well, it could be rephrased,pertaining to Obama:

"He is not exactly ugly, but Presidental material?