Obama has sold out American Air Defense

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Isn't the F-22 that ridiculously expensive plane that has never been used for anything?

I'm just saying, "ridiculously expensive".

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I propose that we Americans spend 3/4 of our federal budget constructing the Doomsday Machine.

It'll just be a massive metal mystery box with the word "Doomsday Machine" printed on it in 20 languages.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Isn't the F-22 that ridiculously expensive plane that has never been used for anything?

I'm just saying, "ridiculously expensive".
Yes the F-22 is expensive, but what is the worth on one of your pilots life? The Raptor is electronically invisible to other aircraft.

Doomsday machine is very very cheap. :p

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Added to buying the Russian jet, even though the Raptor can literally do circles around it, we could also just do what Switzerland does.

Why no one invades Switzerland

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/754.html

Well, the Swiss model has certainly proven to be a fiscally reasonable method. They spend not even 2% of their GDP on the military if I'm not mistaken.

The problem though is that it's designed as a defensive force. As a defenive force, it's bloody effective. The problem though is that it wouldn't be a particularly effective force beyond its borders. Other than blue berrets, the Swiss don't venture much beyond their borders. Could you imagine the Swiss Army invading Iraq or Afghanistan? They're designed as a defensive democratic force and not as an offensive one. I don't think many Americans would go for that. American exceptionalism is still strong in the US and even trumps any notion of fiscal conservatism.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oh, golly. Another Obama thread. Does there have to be a new thread about Obama every time he does something that makes people blink? We can't have anything sensible like a thread about Obama the man, Obama good deeds, Obama mistakes?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, the Swiss model has certainly proven to be a fiscally reasonable method. They spend not even 2% of their GDP on the military if I'm not mistaken.

The problem though is that it's designed as a defensive force. As a defenive force, it's bloody effective. The problem though is that it wouldn't be a particularly effective force beyond its borders. Other than blue berrets, the Swiss don't venture much beyond their borders. Could you imagine the Swiss Army invading Iraq or Afghanistan? They're designed as a defensive democratic force and not as an offensive one. I don't think many Americans would go for that. American exceptionalism is still strong in the US and even trumps any notion of fiscal conservatism.
Exactly, the Swiss mind their own business.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Yes the F-22 is expensive, but what is the worth on one of your pilots life? The Raptor is electronically invisible to other aircraft.

If someone really cared about the pilot's life, he and his life wouldn't be used so lightly (for example, in unnecessary wars).

I think we can be a lot more productive in protecting pilots' lives by doing other things besides building a bunch of F-22s.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If someone really cared about the pilot's life, he and his life wouldn't be used so lightly (for example, in unnecessary wars).

I think we can be a lot more productive in protecting pilots' lives by doing other things besides building a bunch of F-22s.

B... b... but, what about saving the world? If it weren't for us, the world would be doomed. We need to fight off evil everywhere it may or may not hide. We need to always stand at the ready, prepared to destroy evil by any means available. This is not time for moralism. We are the greatest nation on earth and we have a duty to rid the world of evil and spread our wonderful way of life. That is our manifest destiny. We are the United states of America. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I gather that Obama personally made the decision, recklessly ignoring all of the valuable advice provided to him by the pentagon. Amazing that a President would take such a personal stand on an issue like this.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I gather that Obama personally made the decision, recklessly ignoring all of the valuable advice provided to him by the pentagon. Amazing that a President would take such a personal stand on an issue like this.

And who was it that had advised that Iraq had WMD's? I think it was US intelligence. Are they really that reliable? Then again, I'd also read another story that apparently the CIA had advised that there was insufficient evidence of WMD's and that it was just a possibility but Bush went with it anyway. So whom to believe, I guess.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

The Swiss actually are doing the right thing for a country of their size and terrain, making it just not worth wild to occupy them. I like the term "American exceptionalism" you mentioned and it will trump out everything else, it is just not in our mind set.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
And who was it that had advised that Iraq had WMD's? I think it was US intelligence. Are they really that reliable? Then again, I'd also read another story that apparently the CIA had advised that there was insufficient evidence of WMD's and that it was just a possibility but Bush went with it anyway. So whom to believe, I guess.

Who was it that used chemical weapons against the Iranians and Kurds? There was reason to believe that Saddam had at least those weapons before the war, and most countries went along with that along with the CIA..

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Who was it that used chemical weapons against the Iranians and Kurds? There was reason to believe that Saddam had at least those weapons before the war, and most countries went along with that along with the CIA..

The UN clearly didn't buy it and even Bush had to acknowledge later that they had failed to find any WMD's.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Hold on a sec here. It's too expensive to pay up so everyone gets healthcare coverage but it's ok to flush it all down the toilet for one person or a small group of people? Are you proposing the never ending no-pay-the-bill plan as well, or are taxpayers actually going to pay (not just borrow)?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hold on a sec here. It's too expensive to pay up so everyone gets healthcare coverage but it's ok to flush it all down the toilet for one person or a small group of people? Are you proposing the never ending no-pay-the-bill plan as well, or are taxpayers actually going to pay (not just borrow)?

No, no, no. What we need to do is reduce taxes to the floor, Anything else would just be so commie red. But any real democracy worthy of its name must spend over 5% of tis GDP on the military. Ah, and then they think the US is a conservative country. Socially conservative, perhaps, but sure as hell not fiscally conservative.