100 Banned Books

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Every ten years, the American Library Association releases a list of 100 books/book series that are the most frequently challenged. That is, when someone tries to get a book taken out of a school or library.

The reasons are numerous. They can be everything from profanity and sexual content to being scary/morbid or promoting a religion/political view.

The ALA has just released the list for 2000-2009. I'm going to post the link, but before you click on it, what do you think is #1, the book of the last decade that most corrupted people's morals? Guess, and then behold...

ALA |

Reactions: CDNBear

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Did they ban the bible yet?

This book is full of sex and violence and they're always talking about a man's ass.

The Bible should be on top of the list of banned books in schools.

Our children are being corrupted by the Holy Bible.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Every ten years, the American Library Association releases a list of 100 books/book series that are the most frequently challenged. That is, when someone tries to get a book taken out of a school or library.

The reasons are numerous. They can be everything from profanity and sexual content to being scary/morbid or promoting a religion/political view.

The ALA has just released the list for 2000-2009. I'm going to post the link, but before you click on it, what do you think is #1, the book of the last decade that most corrupted people's morals? Guess, and then behold...

ALA |
Excellent post Icky...

I find it completely reprehensible to ban any form of literature. But to think that some people would want to ban some of the books on that list, just boggles the mind.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Same literary classics showing up, year after year. Same people who try to have these books banned probably have no qualms about their kids watching all sorts of gratuitous violence on TV.

5 Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
14 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
19 Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
21 To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
36 Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
49 One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, by Ken Kesey

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Banning books?

Are you frickin kidding me?

I'd even let Ernst Zundel have a book in the Library.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Nice thread Icarus. It boggles my mind that some books are still being targeted to be banned. To Kill a mockingbird? Catcher in the Rye? Huckleberry Fin?

These are classics. Oh the irony if 1984 was on the list.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

ALA |
That's hilarious, Ic. Thanks. :D

Excellent post Icky...

I find it completely reprehensible to ban any form of literature. But to think that some people would want to ban some of the books on that list, just boggles the mind.
Egg Zachery!