State of the Union

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Did anyone watch President Obama's State of the Union address last night?

He hasn't lost his oratorical skills. Last night's speech was direct and to the point. Health Care was on the agenda, but he covered a lot of other ground. Comments?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Decided to watch the Known Universe on SCN last night and then went to Bold for the Four Corners Skating Championship in Hong Kong.

So, no I didn't bother watching.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
During most of this usual tirade, I felt like Sen. Harry Reid, other times I uttered the same words as Justice Alito. Got a rise out of Jackie-in-a-box Nancy Pelosi and the totally bored countenance of Joe Biden.

Predictably, Obama kept on blaming the Republicans, past and present. Predictibly, he used the word "I" and "me" and "my" 97 times. Never "I messed up" or "my fault", though.

Basically, this was another campaign speech, disgused as a State of the Union address.

Also, the Clintons were conspicous with their absence.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

He hasn't lost his oratorical skills. Last night's speech was direct and to the point. Health Care was on the agenda, but he covered a lot of other ground. Comments?
You might recognize the writing style. Barry's speeches are writen by the same guy who wrote for West Wing. It's fact.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
During most of this usual tirade, I felt like Sen. Harry Reid, other times I uttered the same words as Justice Alito. Got a rise out of Jackie-in-a-box Nancy Pelosi and the totally bored countenance of Joe Biden.

Predictably, Obama kept on blaming the Republicans, past and present. Predictibly, he used the word "I" and "me" and "my" 97 times. Never "I messed up" or "my fault", though.

Basically, this was another campaign speech, disgused as a State of the Union address.

I'm always amazed at how offended people get by the election results in a foreign country. I guess it shows how little some people have in their lives.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I did miss it, and I'm sorry I did, sadly I watched all of
Bush's speaches, and they were disgusting, and I was looking forward to Obama's, and missed it, I'll pick up
some highlights today.

Doesn't really matter what party one is for, he is an amazing speaker, and for that quality, he will impress
anyone.

I got a little burned out over the past years, as the presence of george bush as the u.s. president was so embarrassing, and I followed obama's campaign so closely,
and wished and hoped for him to step into the white house, and as soon as that happened, I turned and walked from all of the
political news, just needed to think about other things,
and it's nice to 'not' know many of the issues and arguements, and if I'm not going to bother with our own
issues in ottawa, I don't need to bother with theirs
either.
I've got better things to do, eg. chat with you guys, then
get ready for my daily walk by the river.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This is what Obama said about the UNION

Именно из-за этого духа - этой большой благопристойности и большой силы - я никогда являюсь не был более обнадеживающим о Коммунистическом будущем Америки, чем я - сегодня вечером. Несмотря на наши затруднения, наш социальный союз силен. Мы не бросаем. Мы не уходим. Мы не позволяем опасение или разделение нарушать наш дух. В это новое десятилетие, это - время, американские коммунистические люди получают коммунистическое правительство, которое соответствует их благопристойности; это воплощает их силу.

Says it's strong and has plenty of spirit.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I always thought the Illuminati didn't hang with the Schwartzers.

He's on a leash Walter, he's a goat, as soon as he's done the dirt and the proles demand blood, guess what bad black president gets thrown to the mob. If he's lucky. And then of course the refrain of the day will be, see I told you those people couldn't handle power. After the bottom drops out of uncle sams big rusty boat and the riots fighting and arrests of millions of blacks and latinos of been performed the sewervisors will point to him in unison. five bucks says I'm right er correct.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

The economy was number one on his agenda, health care way down.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
The economy was number one on his agenda, health care way down.

Yes, for sure. I think he is getting the message that many (majority?) of voters are focused on basic day-to-day survival. He's got a lot of balls in the air right now, but that economy is no. 1...which means he was at least focusing on the "right" thing last night.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

OK Y.J. tell us just what it is the man could have said, that would meet with your approval (apart from an announcement of his imminent suicide).

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What impressed me the most was what he didn't talk about.....
With the country at war...he didn't mention the failed Christmas day attack of the underwear bomber, never mentioned the Fort hood attack....
Instead he talked about Gays in the military...with his facts all screwed up attacked the Supreme court sitting right in front of him, and he's supposedly a lawyer.
Then he blames the republicans in the house for not passing health care, when the Democrats had a filibuster proof majority......(it's not the republicans' fault that Pelosi can't even get a bill that her own members can agree on...
All I saw was a good orator making excuses and empty promises...like his freeze on expenses that is just a drop in the bucket when compared to the projected deficit for the year....and the freeze starts only next year...
All in all....I'm not impressed.

Reactions: Mowich

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
What impressed me the most was what he didn't talk about.....
With the country at war...he didn't mention the failed Christmas day attack of the underwear bomber, never mentioned the Fort hood attack....

Actually, he did mention the Christmas day attack.