Surprise! (or Horrors!) Obama’s Approval Rating Is on the Rise

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
OK, turnabout is fair play. So far we used to get daily reports from conservatives in the forum, as to how Obama’s approval rating is plunging, how the world is ending as far as Obama is concerned etc. The smallest drops in the approval ratings were presented as having huge consequences for Obama presidency. This in spite of the fact that it is usual for president’s approval rating to go down in the first year of his office.

Anyway, recently all went quiet on that front, not a pip out of conservatives as to Obama’s plunging approval rating. I started to wonder, has Rasmussen stopped publishing the daily tracking poll? We used to get daily reports here, why did they stop? Did the Obama opponents perhaps realize that daily movements in the polls don’t really mean much (as if)?

Well, I looked at the Rasmussen website and I got my answer. Obama’s approval rating is (horrors!) on the rise again. Let us see what the Republican bloke, Rasmussen has to say. This must really have been a bitter pill for the old man to swallow, to admit to this.

That’s a five point improvement since last week’s speech and the President’s best Approval Index rating in more than two months

According to Rasmussen, Obama’s rating is the best it has been in the last two months. His approval stand at 52%, highest rating since July 17 (almost two months ago).

Rasmussen has the honesty to admit that his polls are biased against Obama.

President Obama's numbers are always several points higher in a poll of adults rather than likely voters.

So president’s approval is on the rise again. No wonder the conservative bunch here was silent about it. President’s approval ratings go up and down with time, it is wrong to read too much into it.

Unless one is a conservative. Then any drop in Obama’s support, however small, is highly significant, while a rise in the approval rating does not mean much.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
SJP
Please, Please cut the umbilical cord and hangup you have on Obama - Enough threads on him as it is -

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Approval ratings go up and down. Daily and weekly trends mean virtually nothing. One has to look more long term. The small spike in approval rating could have been caused by his speech. He is a good orator after all. Time will tell.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Here are more reasons why President Obama's approval numbers are going up:

U.S. Economy: Retail Sales Rise More Than Forecast

U.S. Economy: Retail Sales Rise More Than Forecast (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

''
Sept. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Sales at U.S. retailers surged in August by the most in three years, showing unexpected strength in consumer demand that extended beyond auto purchases spurred by the government’s “cash-for-clunkers” program.
The 2.7 percent increase exceeded economists’ forecasts''

Bernanke says recession 'very likely over'

The Associated Press: Bernanke says recession 'very likely over'

''
"The recession is very likely over at this point," Bernanke said in responding to questions at the Brookings Institution.
The Fed boss also said he is confident that Congress will enact a revamp of the nation's financial rule book to prevent a future crisis from happening''

The economy is improving and the outlook is a lot more optimistic.

We did not have that under Bush.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Indeed. Bernacke yesterday declared the recession officially over. However, to see a real improvement in the approval ratings, the unemployment must start coming down. Hopefully that will start in six months’ time.

Any president starts with a high approval rating, typically around 70%. There is plenty of optimism surrounding a new President. When he starts implementing his agenda, he invariably makes some people mad, and his approval drops, perhaps giving fodder to his political opponents.

What happens next depends upon his agenda. If his agenda is successful, his approval rating soars (as happened to Reagan and Clinton). If his agenda is a failure, his approval plummets (as happened to Carter and both the Bushes).

What happened until now is irrelevant for Obama’s presidency. His presidency will be defined in the next year or two.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The economy is improving and the outlook is a lot more optimistic.

We did not have that under Bush.

It was exactly the opposite under Bush, Gopher. Bush inherited a healthy economy, with surplus of around 100 billion $ from Clinton. It did not take him long to drive it into the ground. I remember 2002 was one of the worst years for the stock market (NASDAQ touched 1100).

Clinton started with a terrible economy (what is why Bush Sr was booted out of the office after his first term), fixed it and converted it into a roaring, healthy economy. Bush inherited a roaring, healthy economy and converted it into the worst meltdown since the Depression.

Obama inherited the worst economy since the depression, it remains to be seen what he does with it. I remain cautiously optimistic.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
SirJosephPorter, you preached about hypocrisy in other threads.

You also berated Rasmussen as a totally unreliable, far-right, conservative poll poll.

Yet here you are, trying to give yourself credibility, by quoting Rasmussen.

I am NOT calling you a hypocrite. You have done that, yourself.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
OK, turnabout is fair play. So far we used to get daily reports from conservatives in the forum, as to how Obama’s approval rating is plunging, how the world is ending as far as Obama is concerned etc. The smallest drops in the approval ratings were presented as having huge consequences for Obama presidency. This in spite of the fact that it is usual for president’s approval rating to go down in the first year of his office.

Anyway, recently all went quiet on that front, not a pip out of conservatives as to Obama’s plunging approval rating. I started to wonder, has Rasmussen stopped publishing the daily tracking poll? We used to get daily reports here, why did they stop? Did the Obama opponents perhaps realize that daily movements in the polls don’t really mean much (as if)?

Well, I looked at the Rasmussen website and I got my answer. Obama’s approval rating is (horrors!) on the rise again. Let us see what the Republican bloke, Rasmussen has to say. This must really have been a bitter pill for the old man to swallow, to admit to this.

That’s a five point improvement since last week’s speech and the President’s best Approval Index rating in more than two months

According to Rasmussen, Obama’s rating is the best it has been in the last two months. His approval stand at 52%, highest rating since July 17 (almost two months ago).

Rasmussen has the honesty to admit that his polls are biased against Obama.

President Obama's numbers are always several points higher in a poll of adults rather than likely voters.

So president’s approval is on the rise again. No wonder the conservative bunch here was silent about it. President’s approval ratings go up and down with time, it is wrong to read too much into it.

Unless one is a conservative. Then any drop in Obama’s support, however small, is highly significant, while a rise in the approval rating does not mean much.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Really? I just checked the Rasmussen and he is down today.

In other words...FAILED

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SirJosephPorter, you preached about hypocrisy in other threads.

You also berated Rasmussen as a totally unreliable, far-right, conservative poll poll.

Yet here you are, trying to give yourself credibility, by quoting Rasmussen.

I am NOT calling you a hypocrite. You have done that, yourself.

I have done nothing of the sort. Rasmussen is a Republican pollster (he briefly worked for the far right website, WorldNetDaily). So he trashing Obama is not news. But his saying that Obama’s popularity is on the rise gives added credibility to it.

That is a common enough phenomenon; there is nothing new about it. If Joan of Arc trashed Obama, it is not news. But suppose tomorrow she praised Obama. All the Democrats will quote her gleefully. The fact that a rabid right winger like Joan of Arc praises Obama gives added credibility to it.

Or suppose it was the other way around, suppose Obama praises Joan of Arc. All the extreme right nuts, all who claim that Obama is a Nazi, a Fascist, a Communist, a terrorist etc., will quote Obama gleefully. Obama praising Joan of Arc gives it an extra credibility.

There is nothing hypocritical about it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Indeed. So his rise in polls all these days was not significant, and his fall today is. Right?

Title Thread by Joey...

Surprise! (or horrors) Obama's Approval Rating Is on the Rise. +

Approval rating decline according to your poll...

=FAILED