Town Meetings Backfire for Obama

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Eagle, our Congressman held a meeting here too. He set it up to be in a church sanctuary. It was well attended and I knew many who attended and recognized some Labor Union leaders, prominent physicians and others too. The minute we all learned that there were no proposals for the Health Care Plan yet the jeering began. Even the best behaved citizens rose to the occasion. By the time it was concluded I really felt that the message was originally planned to hear what the constituents had to say. But what they had to say you couldn't repeat. So the Congressman went to plan B. He scheduled telephone interviews with a select few. I think they have already made up their minds about what plan we will get and of course they won't subscribe to the same plan so why should they care?

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Democrats could easily have anticipated that the pharmaceutical companies were going to disrupt those meetings. And they undoubtedly knew it. Unfortunately, they are just too stupid and too cowardly to do anything about it. If they were smart, they would stack the meeting rooms with Dems just like the GOP does when it gets together in public. But stupid is as stupid does and in this respect, they well earn that title.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Eagle, our Congressman held a meeting here too. He set it up to be in a church sanctuary. It was well attended and I knew many who attended and recognized some Labor Union leaders, prominent physicians and others too. The minute we all learned that there were no proposals for the Health Care Plan yet the jeering began. Even the best behaved citizens rose to the occasion. By the time it was concluded I really felt that the message was originally planned to hear what the constituents had to say. But what they had to say you couldn't repeat. So the Congressman went to plan B. He scheduled telephone interviews with a select few. I think they have already made up their minds about what plan we will get and of course they won't subscribe to the same plan so why should they care?

Of course they made up their mind and did you even think for a moment that THEY were going to go on the same plan as the people? They have a great medical plan so why would they want to subscribe to the disastorous plan they are proposing? Do you think they want themselves and their families on such a horrible plan? Heck no.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Democrats could easily have anticipated that the pharmaceutical companies were going to disrupt those meetings. And they undoubtedly knew it. Unfortunately, they are just too stupid and too cowardly to do anything about it. If they were smart, they would stack the meeting rooms with Dems just like the GOP does when it gets together in public. But stupid is as stupid does and in this respect, they well earn that title.

Stack the meetings... figures you would say that. Exclude the general public and stack the meetings with liberal groups to give a false sense of support.

Pharmaceutical companies disrupting the meetings... what a stretch.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Of course they made up their mind and did you even think for a moment that THEY were going to go on the same plan as the people? They have a great medical plan so why would they want to subscribe to the disastorous plan they are proposing? Do you think they want themselves and their families on such a horrible plan? Heck no.
Whether it's funding wars or funding social programs when a govt offers something up that will increase taxation you can guarantee the tax rate will be triple the yearly budget for that service.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Whether it's funding wars or funding social programs when a govt offers something up that will increase taxation you can guarantee the tax rate will be triple the yearly budget for that service.

According to measures of administrative overhead for current insurance policies, the tax increase could amount to one third of current insurance premiums, meaning more money for the people.

Once the sytem is operational, that is.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
According to measures of administrative overhead for current insurance policies, the tax increase could amount to one third of current insurance premiums, meaning more money for the people.

More money for the people? Sorry Niflmir, the government rarely gives money back to the people. If there is a surplus (which I highly doubt there will be) it will be used by the government for more government spending.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

You may be right. It is all about the government getting their hands on more money and controlling who gets what services.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Of course it will save money for all. that is why lobby groups funded by the AMA and big pharma are dead against it and financing the campaign against it.

Live or die a cancer patient is a $250,000 customer. It is in their best interests to keep the nation as unhealthy as possible. As an example of the corruption, immorality, and insanity, Aspartame manufacturer Searle provides the chemicals that makes people ill then sells the drugs that mask the symptoms.

How can you go wrong with a scheme like that?

The money saved is a drop in the bucket compared to what a healthy workforce can generate in the over all economy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
More money for the people? Sorry Niflmir, the government rarely gives money back to the people. If there is a surplus (which I highly doubt there will be) it will be used by the government for more government spending.
I think he's talking out of pocket spent on insurance premiums Vs. the cost of taxation to provide the insurance.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Government Employee Insurance Co. aka GEICO NEEDS this income to meet the money lost out of pensions and is a heavy "pro" campaign funder.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Obama ‘Death Panels’

I am so in favour of the Obama ‘death panels’! Sign me up!

What a sad turn the health care ‘debate’ has taken. :roll:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''Stack the meetings... figures you would say that. Exclude the general public and stack the meetings with liberal groups to give a false sense of support.''

It so happened that this was Bush's favorite tactic and he was never criticized by the far right for suppressing speech:

ACLU Provides Concrete Evidence Of Bush's Contempt For Free Speech

Chris Weigant: ACLU Provides Concrete Evidence Of Bush's Contempt For Free Speech

''
The ACLU filed today's lawsuit, Rank v. Jenkins, after obtaining a heavily redacted version of the Presidential Advance Manual from the Justice Department. This manual is the Bush administration's guide for planning presidential events around the country, and it repeatedly instructs organizers about "the best method for preventing demonstrators," "deterring potential protestors from attending events," "designat[ing] a protest area . . . preferably not in view of the event site or motorcade route," and the like.

''residents who were thrown out of a town hall meeting with President Bush ...

''The White House wants to create a "well-balanced crowd" by "deterring potential protestors.

''all Presidential events must be ticketed or accessed by a name list. This is the best method for preventing demonstrators

''shout them down, block them from the cameras, and if that doesn't work, just remove the demonstrators from the event....''

Where were the howls of protest when the right wingers did that to everyone else???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''Pharmaceutical companies disrupting the meetings... what a stretch. ''

As you saw above, this truth was fully documented on TV today by Rachel Maddow. Look up those sources if you don't believe it.

Still, I blame Democratic party lameness for knowing this was going to happen but being too sissy-minded to do anything about it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
News flash Gopher... Bush is no longer president.

And yes... pharmaceutical companies disrupting meetings IS a stretch.

Rachel Madcow is a far left wing whacko and everything she says has an liberal agenda.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
I just love the Nancy Pelosi approach to all of this. Her statement was "This is simply Unamerican." I guess when citizens do wish to speak out they will have to find another way to do it? In my book Pelosi is a candidate for a brain transplant but she doesn't have a core deposit to get the process going. The Town Hall meetings response is now concerning many members of Congress who are now hopefully going to re-evalutae what they are planning to offer to the citizens of the US and still continue to exempt themselves from the plan itself.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Hate-on for Barack Obama, Democrats

Given the rhetoric that most Americans have about freedom of speech, the ordeal of conservatives crashing these meetings (with disruption, rather than constructive questions, comments or debate) is absolutely un-American. The conservative movement has not yet offered up arguments against the proposal for health care reform; they have only offered personal attacks against the president, and anti-progressive rhetoric. Members of the Congress of the United States should pay no attention to the shrieking matches that have become these meetings, unless the conservative movement can start to articulate some proper constructive conversation on the issues of health care reform.

The Honorable Representative Nancy Pelosi (8th District of California), the Speaker of the House of Representatives, is correct. There has been no democratic move to oppose these health care reforms—there has been no proper communication, conversation, debate or other peaceful demonstration based on the merits or weaknesses of the proposal. There has been only hatred, conservative rhetoric and character assassination. But yes, let the conservative movement continue on this hazardous climb to hysterics, irrelevance, and eventual auto-destruction.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The same thing happened in Canada when healthcare was introduced so many years ago and if any politicians mentions that they want to privatize it they are voted out of office.

The only americans who are opposed are the ones who have investments in the industry.