Another Hypocrite Bites Dust!

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
No, I am not trying to revive the old thread (where religious right Senator, John Ensign admitted to having an affair with his staffer). I know this sounds like a broken record, but another prominent Republican politician has admitted to having an affair.

This time it is the South Carolina governor, Mark Sanford. This is a much bigger fish than Senator Ensign. Sanford is considered a strong front runner for the 2012 Republican nomination. He was the darling of religious right (maybe he still is, I don’t know, religious right is not bothered by hypocrisy).

Sanford disappeared for a few days, and it was quite a story. Sanford’s staff put out the story that he had been hiking the Appalachian Trail (personally I found that difficult to believe, according to CNN, yesterday was the nude hiking day at the Appalachian Trail).

However, his car was spotted parked at the airport. Then yesterday it was revealed that he had flown to Argentina without telling anybody about it. Now, of course it turns out that he was visiting his mistress in Argentina.

Indeed, what is it about these religious types that they cannot keep their pants zipped up? Is it their repressive upbringing, the sheltered life they lead (I assume they are surrounded by the religious right types form birth), is it their phony Biblical beliefs?

They preach to others how they should live their lives (Sanford is a staunch supporter of religious right, with opposition to abortion, contraception, support for Creationism and so on), they themselves do not live by what they preach, and they (and Republican base) do not see anything wrong with it.

It would be interesting to see if Sanford still remains a front runner for the 2012 Republican nomination. The Republican base is not bothered by hypocrisy, so it is still quite possible that Sanford may yet win the nomination in 2012. And I hope he does. Obama will have smooth sailing against such a hypocrite in the general eleciton, no matter what the state of the economy.

South Carolina Gov. Sanford admits extramarital affair - CNN.com

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
No, I am not trying to revive the old thread (where religious right Senator, John Ensign admitted to having an affair with his staffer). I know this sounds like a broken record, but another prominent Republican politician has admitted to having an affair.

This time it is the South Carolina governor, Mark Sanford. This is a much bigger fish than Senator Ensign. Sanford is considered a strong front runner for the 2012 Republican nomination. He was the darling of religious right (maybe he still is, I don’t know, religious right is not bothered by hypocrisy).

Sanford disappeared for a few days, and it was quite a story. Sanford’s staff put out the story that he had been hiking the Appalachian Trail (personally I found that difficult to believe, according to CNN, yesterday was the nude hiking day at the Appalachian Trail).

However, his car was spotted parked at the airport. Then yesterday it was revealed that he had flown to Argentina without telling anybody about it. Now, of course it turns out that he was visiting his mistress in Argentina.

Indeed, what is it about these religious types that they cannot keep their pants zipped up? Is it their repressive upbringing, the sheltered life they lead (I assume they are surrounded by the religious right types form birth), is it their phony Biblical beliefs?

They preach to others how they should live their lives (Sanford is a staunch supporter of religious right, with opposition to abortion, contraception, support for Creationism and so on), they themselves do not live by what they preach, and they (and Republican base) do not see anything wrong with it.

It would be interesting to see if Sanford still remains a front runner for the 2012 Republican nomination. The Republican base is not bothered by hypocrisy, so it is still quite possible that Sanford may yet win the nomination in 2012. And I hope he does. Obama will have smooth sailing against such a hypocrite in the general eleciton, no matter what the state of the economy.

I watched him today give the apology, it just sounded like political rhetoric,
he was just talking about himself, looking good, making it right in front
of the voters. It didn't look or sound right. Where was the sincerity, I
couldn't see anywhere.
He shouldn't be apoligizing to the public anyway, he should be begging and
pleading to his family, he is a shameful piece of trash, and a hypocrite.

DichotoMe

Nominee Member
Jan 6, 2009
CBI
A certifiable hypocrite. Proves that when it comes to pussy we're all just men, except for "the gays" eh Libman! lol

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
For those of you who may be unaware of it, Sanford was on the House Judiciary Committee (he was in the House at that time, before he became the governor of South Carolina) when the committee voted to impeach Clinton. Sanford said at that time that he was deeply troubled by the moral turpitude displayed by Clinton. I think he was one of the House members who argued the case for conviction before the Senate.

He clearly wanted to remove Clinton from the office for committing adultery. But is he going to resign for doing the same? Don’t hold your breath.

Hypocrisy of some of these religious right type is breathtaking.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I woukl have thought that after Bill's shenanagins with Monica that this stuff might rate a caption on page 32 of the tabloids.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I woukl have thought that after Bill's shenanagins with Monica that this stuff might rate a caption on page 32 of the tabloids.

Normally that would be the case, JLM. If a Democratic politician had admitted to committing adultery, that is just what would have happened. However, people in general have a big problem with hypocrisy (though many conservatives don’t see anything wrong with it).

And this was hypocrisy big time. In addition to being the strong supporter of religious right (and as such ranting and raving against adultery, homosexuality, promiscuity etc.), Sanford was at the forefront for impeaching Clinton for adultery. When such a hypocrite is caught with his hands in the cookie jar, it is a big story. It will be in the news for several day yet.

Besides, there are questions as to whether he used any of the tax payer’s money to carry out his adultery. If he did that, that will be serious. But at the very least, it is a deep embracement for Republicans. They are always telling others how they should live their lives, they are always preaching to the others, and it turns out that one Republican politician after another cannot keep his pants zipped up.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Normally that would be the case, JLM. If a Democratic politician had admitted to committing adultery, that is just what would have happened. However, people in general have a big problem with hypocrisy (though many conservatives don’t see anything wrong with it).

And this was hypocrisy big time. In addition to being the strong supporter of religious right (and as such ranting and raving against adultery, homosexuality, promiscuity etc.), Sanford was at the forefront for impeaching Clinton for adultery. When such a hypocrite is caught with his hands in the cookie jar, it is a big story. It will be in the news for several day yet.

Besides, there are questions as to whether he used any of the tax payer’s money to carry out his adultery. If he did that, that will be serious. But at the very least, it is a deep embracement for Republicans. They are always telling others how they should live their lives, they are always preaching to the others, and it turns out that one Republican politician after another cannot keep his pants zipped up.

Yep, I agree with that, but I think anytime there's involvement with dirty linen, and hypocrisy, there's about a 50% chance it's going to be a Republican. Carnal desires don't recognize political boundaries. Of course anytime there is adultery (at least after a church wedding), there is hypocrisy.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yep, I agree with that, but I think anytime there's involvement with dirty linen, and hypocrisy, there's about a 50% chance it's going to be a Republican. Carnal desires don't recognize political boundaries.

More like 90% chance, JLM. Democrats as a rule don’t preach to others how they should live their lives, Republicans do. When a Democrat is unfaithful to his wife, it is adultery. When a Republican is unfaithful, it is adultery and hypocrisy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
More like 90% chance, JLM. Democrats as a rule don’t preach to others how they should live their lives, Republicans do. When a Democrat is unfaithful to his wife, it is adultery. When a Republican is unfaithful, it is adultery and hypocrisy.

NO WAY- I'd guess about 90% of marriages include the oath "till death do us part" and if you break that oath, it's hypocrisy plain and simple. NOTHING to do with political orientation.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
NO WAY- I'd guess about 90% of marriages include the oath "till death do us part" and if you break that oath, it's hypocrisy plain and simple. NOTHING to do with political orientation.

JLM, that kind of hypocrisy is private hypocrisy, that is between the man and his wife (and perhaps his God). It is for them to sort out, and nobody’s business.

However, when a politician tells others not to commit adultery (as Sanford did), when he rants and raves at others for committing adultery, when he tried to remove other politicians from office for committing adultery (as Sanford did), then it becomes public’s business.

That is why it is a big deal with Sanford committing adultery (for that matter, any republican committing adultery).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, that kind of hypocrisy is private hypocrisy, that is between the man and his wife (and perhaps his God). It is for them to sort out, and nobody’s business.

However, when a politician tells others not to commit adultery (as Sanford did), when he rants and raves at others for committing adultery, when he tried to remove other politicians from office for committing adultery (as Sanford did), then it becomes public’s business.

That is why it is a big deal with Sanford committing adultery (for that matter, any republican committing adultery).

Where the hell is old Yukon Jack when we need him?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
S.J. I know you THINK that hypocrisy is a conservative/Republican trait, but when these guys "cross the floor" as many of them do, do they change from hypocrite to non hypocrite and vice versa? - I doubt it.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
S.J. I know you THINK that hypocrisy is a conservative/Republican trait, but when these guys "cross the floor" as many of them do, do they change from hypocrite to non hypocrite and vice versa? - I doubt it.

Cross the floor? You mean change political parties? Very few politicians do that, JLM. Those who cross from Republican to Democrat (like Senator Specter of Pennsylvania) are on the moderate wing of the party, they are not into fire and brimstone, Bible based preaching.

And those who cross from Democratic to Republican parties (during the 80s there were many defections in the South, in the Bible Belt, not of politicians, but of voters) are usually very conservative, more conservative than many Republicans.

A conservative is more likely to be guilty of hypocrisy than a liberal, since liberals do not preach to others, conservative do, routinely. Party crossers (and there are very few of them) are no different.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
There' is no real excuse for cheating on your better half.. some just can't seem to control that animal urge when confronted with the opportunity..

.I would say the relationship has probably gone stale ,if anyone could even think of cheating on that life partner,That soul mate..The 1 and only...

Don't normally like to go there but Here's some Personal info(not lookin for pity ,just for the issue so don't get all sappy on me :)) ..

I don't want to offend my ex .Put her through anymore than she has..Believe me she's gone though enough ..She does have a good heart..However .All being equal and all..Both men and women cheat.

Seems (according to all the news lately) like only men are cheating .My wife cheated on me..With a co-worker at a party.I Heard him braggin about it outside a local bar ,to his friends ,a couple weeks after.Wasn't braggin or doin much for awhile after that cuz I beat the supreme **** out of him..(another animal instinct, but that's another story).

Don't go to bars much anymore..!to watch drunkin dicks goin after drunk flirty,gigglin girls just doesn't do it for me (anymore)
This sort of thing happens all the time( more so for party people who just can't settle.Wanna see what their worth on the market I guess.).

.I split with my wife after 10 yrs!..I never would have..I believe you should stick with the one your with..We are still friends, but I could never trust her again..It just seemed too easy for her to do it and then lie afterwards ..Until she could no longer deny the truth....We have both had parteners since..Her more than me..I believe It is easier for women than men to find another partener .Now What kinda partener they are willing to settle for, still bewilders me...(as a man..In my perspective)..

I Will never marry again...

I gave it all away..(including too much personal info on this thread).. Both sexs can cheat ..but there seems to have been more men doing it publically latley...

I say don't be a victum..Get over it and move on..Not worth the time in the end..Can't dwell in the past...It's not good for anyone

I've had girlfriends since..Better this way!:)

None yet have met my son..I will wait for the day 1 proves worthy...

Enough about my sob story..That was years ago ..Better days are here and ahead...Still lack the trust and comittment to get attached again .But I'm workin on it!:)

ANYWAY... Would say Sanford seemed compassionate in his appology.Confronted his guilt.Wonder if he woulda came clean on his own..?.Givin his inabilility to control his animal instinct .I wouldn't trust that human....He's an animal.!!.

But deep down ..aren't we all.?

Don't be a victum...It's just sex!

Forgivness is 1 of the best human traits...Easier said than done ..I know..

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Seems (according to all the news lately) like only men are cheating

That is true, Greenfish. Even in these days of equality, there are lot more male politicians than female politicians. And female politicians either don’t cheat, or they have much more brains than male politicians and are very discreet.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
A conservative is more likely to be guilty of hypocrisy than a liberal, since liberals do not preach to others, conservative do, routinely. Party crossers (and there are very few of them) are no different.

Of course liberals preach to each us. They know how we should live and anyone who doesn't think like a liberal is stupid according to them.

Liberals feel immune to cheating and hypocrisy for the mere fact that they are liberal.

When they get busted it is "their" business but when conservative pols get busted it is EVERYONE's business. Hypocrisy.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Of course liberals preach to each us. They know how we should live and anyone who doesn't think like a liberal is stupid according to them.

Liberals feel immune to cheating and hypocrisy for the mere fact that they are liberal.

When they get busted it is "their" business but when conservative pols get busted it is EVERYONE's business. Hypocrisy.

Sorry EagleSmack, but liberals don’t preach to the people. Like don’t commit adultery, don’t be a homosexual, don’t have an abortion, abstain from sex before marriage etc. Conservatives routinely do, that is the specialty of conservatives.

When a conservative politician is discovered not living by the standard he sets and required for others, he is guilty of hypocrisy.

Thus if a liberal politician commits adultery, or a liberal woman gets an abortion, that is all it is, adultery or abortion, there is no hypocrisy.

However, if a conservative politician commits adultery or if a prolife woman gets an abortion (and apparently there are plenty who do), it is adultery, abortion and hypocrisy.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Sorry EagleSmack, but liberals don’t preach to the people. Like don’t commit adultery, don’t be a homosexual, don’t have an abortion, abstain from sex before marriage etc. Conservatives routinely do, that is the specialty of conservatives.

When a conservative politician is discovered not living by the standard he sets and required for others, he is guilty of hypocrisy.

Thus if a liberal politician commits adultery, or a liberal woman gets an abortion, that is all it is, adultery or abortion, there is no hypocrisy.

However, if a conservative politician commits adultery or if a prolife woman gets an abortion (and apparently there are plenty who do), it is adultery, abortion and hypocrisy.

I agree he is gulity of hypocrisy but he is alos human.

The liberals are guilty of hypocrisy because they say that their lives are private when things like this happen but when a conservative is guilty of human nature they gloat and suddenly the conservatives live is public. The liberals make every effort to drag them through the mud. Hypocrisy.

Same with Global Warming, off topic it may be but liberals preach saving the environment while abusing it to no end. Gore, the Kennedy Clan...hypocrits. Just an example since you consistently point out that liberals and democrats aren't hypocrits.