Trouble on the U.S.-Mexican border.... illegal immigration, etc.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
Some of you have heard me repeat this, but I can't help it. I know many Canadians do resent feeling ignored by the U.S. The U.S. does tend to ignore most other countries, yes. However, even if the U.S. did pay more attention to the rest of the world, there's one country that I think would get higher billing than Canada:

That's rigt: MEXICO!!!!

Have you heard that the U.S.-Mexico border is the most crossed border in the world, with over 30 million crossings per year? That's similar to Canada's total population!

I work in the public schools, where I often deal with classrooms that are predominantly Mexican/Hispanic - sometimes entire classrooms are 100% Hispanic. Letters home get translated in Spanish, bilingual education classrooms are left and right, heck California is now 40% Hispanic! Los Angeles and its surrounding area is over 50% Hispanic, probably almost 60%. California will be over 50% within a couple of decades, the U.S. will be at 15-20%. Mexicans already outnuber blacks. By the way, that's only the legal residents.

Sure, I've also met Canadians in the public schools here. They blend in better than not only immigrants from all the other countries, but even better than AMERICANS from most other states!!! For one thing, they don't have accents that people from Arkansas do. How can we notice them if they don't stick out that much? At least we're not making their homework bilingual or serving poutine and maple syrup as part of their lunches!

Oh yeah, between Canada and the U.S., 1,000 officers patrol that border. 10 times as many people on the U.S. SIDE ALONE patrol the Mexican border. 500,000 people cross that border illegally every year! Can the Canadian border compare in how many cross that border?

Some estimates say that there are 8-12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. One estimate says 20-38 million. From my experience, over 30 million sounds more accurate. The vast majority of these undocumented people are Mexicans, many others are non-Mexicans who have used the Mexican border. Numbers that come from Canada are likely puny in comparison!!!

In fact, Canada should be concerned about Mexico too. I have read news stories about Mexicans who come illegally to the U.S. and live here for a while until fears of an illegal immigration crackdown come into play. Then they flee to Canada and seek asylum. And in fact, more and more Mexicans are doing that then ever.

Also, try looking at pictures of the any Canada-U.S. border crossing online, and compare it to pictures of U.S.-Mexico border crossings. On a few occasions, when I go to Vancouver, I have stood under the Peace Arch, which IS the border between B.C. and Washington State. All I can say is..... where are the fences? Not that I want to see any, but you should see the fences between San Diego and Tijuana. And at least there's no minutemen militia preventing people from entering the U.S. illegally from Canada.

Also, try watching images of people crossing the Rio Grande between Mexico and Texas. You'll almost never see anything like that at the Canadian border.

Aren't Canadians lucky not to deal with all of that?

Of course, like I said, sometimes what happens at the U.S.-Mexican border makes its way further north.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The Mexican migrant workers are simply returning to reclaim New Spain that was wrested from them in those miserable wars the USA waged against their forefathers. They have my total sympathy!

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
I have a close friend who works for the US Border Patrol in the Mexicali/Calexico area of California. He tells me there is a bitter war going on in Meixoc between the government and the narcotics trafficers. It is so serious that the US government is now concerned that some of the viciousness may spread into the US. There are daily multiple murders in the Mexicali/Tecate/Tijuana areas every day now. The Border Patrol agenst are now being shot at daily by snipers located in Mexican territory.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
Oh yeah, Tijuana is really bad! I wish more Canadians would try to convince me that their needs are more urgent than what's going on at the other border.
But that whole thing about the snipers in Mexico, that's something! That's why I laugh when people complain about the Canada-U.S. border.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
The Commandante of the Mexican Federal Police Detachment assigned to Baja California Del Norte just escaped an assassination attempt yesterday (2-5-09) by a Drug Cartel group. The bad guys now have AK's, RPG's and bigger fire power. I guess the shoot out was spectacular.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Mexican migrant workers are simply returning to reclaim New Spain that was wrested from them in those miserable wars the USA waged against their forefathers. They have my total sympathy!

So, I assume you will be heading back to wherever your forefathers came from in an attempt to return this land to the Indians....oh yeah, and don't plan on staying there long, as your forefathers probably ripped that land from the poor persecuted Saxons, who tore it from the Britons, who finally deposed the Romans, who destroyed the Celts who killed off.....oh never mind :):roll:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
So, I assume you will be heading back to wherever your forefathers came from in an attempt to return this land to the Indians....oh yeah, and don't plan on staying there long, as your forefathers probably ripped that land from the poor persecuted Saxons, who tore it from the Britons, who finally deposed the Romans, who destroyed the Celts who killed off.....oh never mind :):roll:

This is my point exactly. Now that Latin Americans are reclaiming New Spain, why should the Anglos complain. It's a natural progression. Thanks, Colpy, for the unexpected support!
YouTube - Himno Nacional Mexicano

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Some of you have heard me repeat this, but I can't help it. I know many Canadians do resent feeling ignored by the U.S. The U.S. does tend to ignore most other countries, yes. However, even if the U.S. did pay more attention to the rest of the world, there's one country that I think would get higher billing than Canada:

That's rigt: MEXICO!!!!

Have you heard that the U.S.-Mexico border is the most crossed border in the world, with over 30 million crossings per year? That's similar to Canada's total population!

I work in the public schools, where I often deal with classrooms that are predominantly Mexican/Hispanic - sometimes entire classrooms are 100% Hispanic. Letters home get translated in Spanish, bilingual education classrooms are left and right, heck California is now 40% Hispanic! Los Angeles and its surrounding area is over 50% Hispanic, probably almost 60%. California will be over 50% within a couple of decades, the U.S. will be at 15-20%. Mexicans already outnuber blacks. By the way, that's only the legal residents.

Sure, I've also met Canadians in the public schools here. They blend in better than not only immigrants from all the other countries, but even better than AMERICANS from most other states!!! For one thing, they don't have accents that people from Arkansas do. How can we notice them if they don't stick out that much? At least we're not making their homework bilingual or serving poutine and maple syrup as part of their lunches!

Oh yeah, between Canada and the U.S., 1,000 officers patrol that border. 10 times as many people on the U.S. SIDE ALONE patrol the Mexican border. 500,000 people cross that border illegally every year! Can the Canadian border compare in how many cross that border?

Some estimates say that there are 8-12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. One estimate says 20-38 million. From my experience, over 30 million sounds more accurate. The vast majority of these undocumented people are Mexicans, many others are non-Mexicans who have used the Mexican border. Numbers that come from Canada are likely puny in comparison!!!

In fact, Canada should be concerned about Mexico too. I have read news stories about Mexicans who come illegally to the U.S. and live here for a while until fears of an illegal immigration crackdown come into play. Then they flee to Canada and seek asylum. And in fact, more and more Mexicans are doing that then ever.

Also, try looking at pictures of the any Canada-U.S. border crossing online, and compare it to pictures of U.S.-Mexico border crossings. On a few occasions, when I go to Vancouver, I have stood under the Peace Arch, which IS the border between B.C. and Washington State. All I can say is..... where are the fences? Not that I want to see any, but you should see the fences between San Diego and Tijuana. And at least there's no minutemen militia preventing people from entering the U.S. illegally from Canada.

Also, try watching images of people crossing the Rio Grande between Mexico and Texas. You'll almost never see anything like that at the Canadian border.

Aren't Canadians lucky not to deal with all of that?

Of course, like I said, sometimes what happens at the U.S.-Mexican border makes its way further north.

I'm all for greater border control to keep the Americans from sneaking illegally into Canada

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
The media reports that the US has committed 70 additional Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents to the US/Mexico border. I have a friend who is a Border patrol agent and he tells me he now sees a Cobra copter fly over over his position daily headed from east to west one day and west to east the next day. He thinks it has FLIR capability too. Could this be the first of a reported US military presence that may appear soon? Things are heating up down there.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Pelosi Tells Illegal Immigrants That Work Site Raids are Un-American:

"It must be stopped....What value system is that? I think it's un-American. I think it's un-American."
What is un-American is thinking that a person can sneak into this country and receive anything for free. Emergency one time health care maybe. Do you know that we would be thrown in jail if we snuck into Mexico with no visible means of support. Sure they and us welcome tourists, they come spend money then leave. You want to work in the U.S. then come in legally.

http://obamaclock.org:80/

The Border Patrol has their own Cobra's, could be one of theirs. Then again the National Guard is helping out.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
The media reports that the US has committed 70 additional Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents to the US/Mexico border. I have a friend who is a Border patrol agent and he tells me he now sees a Cobra copter fly over over his position daily headed from east to west one day and west to east the next day. He thinks it has FLIR capability too. Could this be the first of a reported US military presence that may appear soon? Things are heating up down there.

I was down there a couple of years ago wondering around out in the dessert with my GPS. Two fighters were on me in about half an hour as I approached the Mex border and made about six fly-bys in an hour until I turned away from the border. They have patrolled the area for some time.

By the end of that trip the Border Patrol in Oregon (doing road side checks) where flagging me through calling me by first name. I was not pulled over at any time to check ID, so they do have a good intelligence network also.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Looks like the Border Patrol and Armed Forces are right on top of it then. I know that the drug war in Mexico has crossed the border. Mexico used to be a wide open border like the one with Canada. Big difference is that there is a big desert one has to cross if your off the beaten path coming into the U.S. from Mexico, many die of thirst trying to walk across it..

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Spade said:

"The Mexican migrant workers are simply returning to reclaim New Spain that was wrested from them in those miserable wars the USA waged against their forefathers. They have my total sympathy".

Wars have winners and losers. The spoils of war go to the winners. It has always been thus.

If the occupants of New Spain had made New Spain as rich and vibrant as the winners of the "miserable wars" made the American South West, their descendants would not have to and would not want to illegally invade and try to "reclaim" a land that is no longer theirs and to which they have no valid claim, whatsoever.

With all the bountiful natural resources and beautiful climate there is absolutely no reason why Mexico should and could not be as rich and prosperous as the American South West.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Not a bad idea. Maybe I could do some Highland Clearance, and get me land back.

..........And me sheep.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
"If the occupants of New Spain had made New Spain as rich and vibrant as the winners of the "miserable wars" made the American South West, their descendants would not have to and would not want to illegally invade and try to "reclaim" a land that is no longer theirs and to which they have no valid claim, whatsoever."

"IF" The most important word in your statement.

With all their oil and natural resources and Mexico is still a poor country. Unless something drastic is done, may not be a country soon.

Has their ever been a time in history when Spain was not kicked around. England, France, U.S. Portugal, even Feudal Japan knocked them around a bit.

Yup wars have winners and losers.

kcowan

Jan 13, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
members.shaw.ca
With all their oil and natural resources and Mexico is still a poor country. Unless something drastic is done, may not be a country soon.
Mexico is a class society. There are very rich and also rich. There is an emerging working class who now have access to credit and so they can have cars and houses as long as they have good jobs.

But the peasant class are destined to stay there. They do not go to school and they work at unskilled jobs. The only way out is to make a big score. Sometimes they do that by working illegally in the US while living like peasants and saving everything they can. After 5 years, they return and start a business.

Their dependence on oil and US exports does make them vulnerable as a country. Right now they seem to be in better shape than the US but that is not saying much.:roll:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hmmmmm aren't there canadian's who live close to the border buying cigs, booze, dope, food from the south and selling in Canada undermining our economy.

The west is still taxed more than the east on cigarettes to the tune of two bucks a pack thanks to oh so loyal Canadians in the east.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Do you mean the areas that the Mexicans stole from the Native Americans?