Barack Obama's got no chance

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson doesn't know why everyone's getting so worked up about Barack Obama (the extraordinary celebrations after his inauguration, including the carnival and ten balls, were over-the-top, sickly sweet American razmatazz).

After all, Obama is hardly the Messiah.

Barack Obama ... 'a normal human
being just like everyone else'

24 Jan 2009
The Sun
Jeremy Clarkson

YOU may have heard this week that a country on the other side of the world has a new leader and as a result everything is solved.

The North Pole has begun to freeze over again, the financial crisis is at an end, the leaders of Israel and Hamas will soon be making public man love and your iPod headphones will no longer get all tangled up when you put them down for a moment.

Meryl Streep: Bleeding heart liberal

Pretty soon, all the problems in Africa will be sorted as well because, apparently, this astonishing new leader has an amazing ability to stroll over oceans and turn fishes into huge, sprawling fields of wheat. Pausing only to cure leprosy during elevenses.

Well that’s what we’re being asked to believe by the world’s bleeding heart liberals such as Meryl Streep and Channel Four News who have got it into their heads that Barack Obama is actually a blend of Jesus, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King.

Stephen Fry ... top brain

Of course we know why they are all so excited. It’s because this boy from simple peasant stock in Kenya has overcome all the odds and all the prejudices to become the first black man to get to the top.

They’d like us to believe that no one has done this before and that while all the other black men pick cotton and sing about the Camptown Races, Obama has taken off the shackles of slavery and gone on to greatness.

Obviously, they weren’t looking when Nelson Mandela pulled off a similar trick in South Africa.

Pickle

Or Tiger Woods in golf, Arthur Ashe in tennis, Lewis Hamilton in motor racing, Muhammad Ali in boxing, and Will Smith, Denzel Washington and Eddie Murphy in the movies.

That’s the thing, you see. While the soft-centred left see Barack as a black man, I don’t. I see him as a man.

A normal human being with knees, ears and a nose just like everyone else. Which is what scares me to death.

The world is in a proper pickle right now. Quite apart from the usual problems like disease, war, starvation, genocide and the Daily Mail’s obsession with Jonathan Ross, we have a banking system that is no longer on its knees. It isn’t even coughing up blood.

It’s dead. And getting it back to life again is going to take more money than the world actually has.

In Britain, for instance, the banks are exposed to 400 per cent more than the country as a whole earns in a year. And in America, it’s even worse. So Obama can forget about all the promises he’s made because the fact is, every single penny that every single American has is going to be needed simply to get the banks going.

It’s imperative because without the banks, there is no business. And with no business there are no jobs. And that in turn means there is no food on the table.

Without banks, we’re back in the Stone Age.

I could not sort out the mess. No-one I know could sort out the mess. Not even Stephen Fry, who is possibly the cleverest person I’ve ever met.

So what chance is there for Obama?

If he really were the Messiah, then maybe we’d be in with a chance. But he isn’t. So we aren’t.

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo, who recently took a dive in his Ferrari, says he considers himself a “good” driver.

And in other news, the Pope claims he’s “good” at sex, Kia says it’s “good” at making cars and the mother of Shannon Matthews says she is “good” looking.

thesun.co.uk

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Perhaps because Barack Obama has already beaten the odds of becoming the Democratic candidate, then President.. First order of business was to follow thru on promises..

I don't think he needs a chance.. He makes his own opportunities..

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Some call Obama the Messiah. A growing evangelical mob are calling him the Antichrist and searching for Revelations. So, I thought I'd do my own research...

Well, I reread "The Apocalypse of St. John's, NL" Nowhere does it mention Obama directly, but in 20:09 I ran across the sentence: "Maharani kebabs USA." This reference is obviously to a potentate from the East (Maharani) that skewers (as in shih kebabs) the USA. Must be some horrific battle!

I took out my scrabble tiles and started rearranging the letters of "Maharani kebabs USA." You can appreciate my utter amazement and horror, when I discovered they spelt "Barak Hussein Obama."

Do you guys think that maybe, just maybe...? Well, I need more funds to carry out my investigations.

Contributions may be forwarded to Brother Spade, c/o this thread.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Obama has a better chance than the neandrathralic Bush.

Besides as of late the lefties have a good record on peace and the economy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Obama has a better chance than the neandrathralic Bush.

Besides as of late the lefties have a good record on peace and the economy.

I think Obama has the ability and the determination to do as well as he wants to do.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson doesn't know why everyone's getting so worked up about Barack Obama (the extraordinary celebrations after his inauguration, including the carnival and ten balls, were over-the-top, sickly sweet American razmatazz).

After all, Obama is hardly the Messiah.

Barack Obama ... 'a normal human
being just like everyone else'

24 Jan 2009
The Sun
Jeremy Clarkson

YOU may have heard this week that a country on the other side of the world has a new leader and as a result everything is solved.

The North Pole has begun to freeze over again, the financial crisis is at an end, the leaders of Israel and Hamas will soon be making public man love and your iPod headphones will no longer get all tangled up when you put them down for a moment.

Meryl Streep: Bleeding heart liberal

Pretty soon, all the problems in Africa will be sorted as well because, apparently, this astonishing new leader has an amazing ability to stroll over oceans and turn fishes into huge, sprawling fields of wheat. Pausing only to cure leprosy during elevenses.

Well that’s what we’re being asked to believe by the world’s bleeding heart liberals such as Meryl Streep and Channel Four News who have got it into their heads that Barack Obama is actually a blend of Jesus, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King.

Stephen Fry ... top brain

Of course we know why they are all so excited. It’s because this boy from simple peasant stock in Kenya has overcome all the odds and all the prejudices to become the first black man to get to the top.

They’d like us to believe that no one has done this before and that while all the other black men pick cotton and sing about the Camptown Races, Obama has taken off the shackles of slavery and gone on to greatness.

Obviously, they weren’t looking when Nelson Mandela pulled off a similar trick in South Africa.

Pickle

Or Tiger Woods in golf, Arthur Ashe in tennis, Lewis Hamilton in motor racing, Muhammad Ali in boxing, and Will Smith, Denzel Washington and Eddie Murphy in the movies.

That’s the thing, you see. While the soft-centred left see Barack as a black man, I don’t. I see him as a man.

A normal human being with knees, ears and a nose just like everyone else. Which is what scares me to death.

The world is in a proper pickle right now. Quite apart from the usual problems like disease, war, starvation, genocide and the Daily Mail’s obsession with Jonathan Ross, we have a banking system that is no longer on its knees. It isn’t even coughing up blood.

It’s dead. And getting it back to life again is going to take more money than the world actually has.

In Britain, for instance, the banks are exposed to 400 per cent more than the country as a whole earns in a year. And in America, it’s even worse. So Obama can forget about all the promises he’s made because the fact is, every single penny that every single American has is going to be needed simply to get the banks going.

It’s imperative because without the banks, there is no business. And with no business there are no jobs. And that in turn means there is no food on the table.

Without banks, we’re back in the Stone Age.

I could not sort out the mess. No-one I know could sort out the mess. Not even Stephen Fry, who is possibly the cleverest person I’ve ever met.

So what chance is there for Obama?

If he really were the Messiah, then maybe we’d be in with a chance. But he isn’t. So we aren’t.

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo, who recently took a dive in his Ferrari, says he considers himself a “good” driver.

And in other news, the Pope claims he’s “good” at sex, Kia says it’s “good” at making cars and the mother of Shannon Matthews says she is “good” looking.

thesun.co.uk

Blackleaf,

Really what the heck does Jeremy Clarkson know about American politics.

He should stick to whining about the British way of life and blowing transmissions out of expensive cars.
In my opinion.

Obama has a good six months to change things before the bloom fades.
If all he does is close that sh*thole in Guantanamo then I count his mandate a success.
Trex

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Can't anyone see that we are not seeking messiahs or anything of the sort. The world is in trouble. The banks are the problem and it has to be fixed. Get over blaming government and just get on with trying to fix the problem. Go to work and try not to inccur any un-necessary debt and we'll get back on our feet. This is not a good time for a bunch of change. You work with those who are already in the thick of things and know how deep a pile we are standing in because they are the ones looking for the way out. Government cannot do this alone. We are responsible for our ownselves too.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Apparently people like Jeremy Clarkson, Blackleaf, cannot get over the fact that Obama won. That is why they are trying to get his election nullified by the Supreme court, by claiming that Obama is a Muslim and an illegal alien.

This article is in the same mould. It is sour grapes by a right wing ideologue. Will Obama succeed? I don’t know, I certainly wish him well (unlike the ilk of Jeremy Clarkson, the far right is already praying for Obama to fail. Evidently according to their philosophy, let us ruin USA completely first, then we can win and rebuild it).

The task in front of him is daunting. It remains to be seen whether he will succeed. However, the rabid right, as represented by Clarkson and Blackleaf is positively drooling at the thought of Obama failing. According to them, there was paradise in USA for the past eight years, with a Godly man (Bush) in power. Now there is a Disciple of the Devil (Obama). The far right cannot wait to get rid of him.

Well, it ain’t happening, Obama is here to stay at least for four years (unless the far right assassinates him). Get over it, Blackleaf, deal with it. Perhaps some therapy might help.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Apparently people like Jeremy Clarkson, Blackleaf, cannot get over the fact that Obama won."- These nut cases have run rampant through the ages- John Wilkes Booth, Hitler, Joseph McCarthy, Lee Harvey Oswald and types of that ilk will continue.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The guy hasn't even been in office for a week and the right wing nut jobs have already drawn their knives for Obama. C'mon guys at least wait until he screws up. Frick the idiots these people supported started unprovoked wars, legalized torture and taking away rights and freedoms without due process.

Obama doesn't have to jump very high to outperform his predecessor and the economy pretty much has only one way to go...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The guy hasn't even been in office for a week and the right wing nut jobs have already drawn their knives for Obama. C'mon guys at least wait until he screws up. Frick the idiots these people supported started unprovoked wars, legalized torture and taking away rights and freedoms without due process.

Obama doesn't have to jump very high to outperform his predecessor and the economy pretty much has only one way to go...

Yep, you got that right - I think there should be a requirement that a person has to prove he has an I.Q. of at least 35 before being allowed to participate in forums, where some common sense is a prerequisite.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I don't get what all the raised eyebrows are about. Of course people are dancing in the streets. For the first time in a long time, somebody who might actually be able to do something about the litany of ills (corruption) that pervades every system in the US is finally in office. Will he actually do any of what he's promised? Well it's pretty early to start prophesizing, but at least he's got the balls to put name to what the problem(s) are. This at the very least validates the overwhelming frustration that not only Americans have been experiencing, but anyone who's impacted by the policies their government upholds are also feeling.

What is this thing Obama has that's got everyone in such an uproar?

It's something that's been missing for a long long time.

It's called HOPE.

Hope that everything he says he stands for is still to be found within ourselves - gumption, honesty, decency... qualities that seem to be sorely lacking in leaders world wide within the last while.

And this is where the frenzy of labeling drives me nuts. The label "Messiah" gets slapped on every great man in history that has ever stood up in hopeless times to proclaim that there is still a reason to hope - who reminds each and every one of us that we still have basic, decent qualities within that will still serve us well if we will only call upon them with a bit of tenacity and determination to make things better.

It's surprising how much a little bit of that hope can turn not only a person around, but an entire nation... and if an entire nation, why not an entire world?

Good on him, I say. I continue to wish him nothing but success.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I don't know who is energy secretary is but unlike Bush I'll bet he didn't pick a CEO of a mutual fund company. Whether or not he solves all of the economic problems isn't the issue. The issue is restoring credibility to the office and country, which I believe he'll pass with flying colors.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well, he's got a hell of a lot more chance to get something done that any of us have, he's the president, he has the people's say so, let's wish him well, he was voted in fairly, it's the people's wish, it's a
democracy, so the whiners should shut their mouths, and wish him well too, because it's for their own good, and ours, if he fails, they go down with him,
and if the right wing republicans to everything they can to 'make' him fail,
then they have done a very bad deed, and deserve the misery.

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
everywhere i got i see obama stuff for sale, even when i try to watch tv. when i stand in line at the store to make my purchase, obama's face is plastered all over every magazine, headline, and tabloid, it's really, really annoying. but i guess its an easy way to make money based on how ppl are