Regional differences within both Canada and U.S.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
I am a Californian, both by birth and by where I was raised. When you look at my passport, it will say “United States of America.”

If you look at my face, though, you will see something other than what we normally associate with Americans even up to now – that is, being of European descent. My parents are, in fact, from the Philippines.

I visit relatives in Vancouver regularly, and I have been all over both Canada and the United States. These experiences have led me to ask myself constantly an interesting question: where am I a foreigner, and where am I not?

I often hear people say that Canada and the U.S. are different. My experience is that the two countries seem to have more differences within themselves than between each other. As many of us know, California’s urban areas are often quite liberal and multicultural – including many people of Filipino and other Asian background – so I don’t stick out. Now, between going to Vancouver and going to some state in the Midwestern or southern United States, where am I a foreigner, and where am I a “homeboy”?

As many of us also know, Vancouver also has a tolerant and multicultural atmosphere, including a LARGE Asian element. At the same time, the Midwestern and southern regions of the United States have much fewer Asians, are not very multicultural in many areas, and tend to be quite conservative.

So according to my passport, I am a foreigner in Vancouver, but a homeboy in Illinois, Indiana, Wyoming, or Mississippi. Yet, if I walk around Vancouver, virtually nothing about me sticks out: I look like one of the locals, talk very much like one of them, and I more likely think like one of them. In many U.S. states on the other hand, I stick out in almost every way.

The story would likely be the same for my relatives in Vancouver: they regularly take day trips to Seattle, and visit us every now-and-then in the San Francisco Bay Area. Even if their passports say that they are foreigners, they do not feel like they are.

On the other hand, what if they went to Quebec City or rural Quebec, where virtually everyone is white, French-speaking, and holds to relatively conservative French Canadian traditions? Their passport says that they are not foreigners, but because they do not speak the language or follow the same culture as the locals, they would not feel any sense of belonging. They may as well be foreigners. I can make a similar comparison to how they would probably feel if they were to go to Newfoundland or Nunavut.

Are we so different? Within ourselves we are. In reality, I see more similarities across the border than within the borders. And due to my background, I’m sure I end up seeing the two countries differently from the majority of people in either country.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I am a Californian, both by birth and by where I was raised. When you look at my passport, it will say “United States of America.”

If you look at my face, though, you will see something other than what we normally associate with Americans even up to now – that is, being of European descent. My parents are, in fact, from the Philippines.

I visit relatives in Vancouver regularly, and I have been all over both Canada and the United States. These experiences have led me to ask myself constantly an interesting question: where am I a foreigner, and where am I not?

I often hear people say that Canada and the U.S. are different. My experience is that the two countries seem to have more differences within themselves than between each other. As many of us know, California’s urban areas are often quite liberal and multicultural – including many people of Filipino and other Asian background – so I don’t stick out. Now, between going to Vancouver and going to some state in the Midwestern or southern United States, where am I a foreigner, and where am I a “homeboy”?

As many of us also know, Vancouver also has a tolerant and multicultural atmosphere, including a LARGE Asian element. At the same time, the Midwestern and southern regions of the United States have much fewer Asians, are not very multicultural in many areas, and tend to be quite conservative.

So according to my passport, I am a foreigner in Vancouver, but a homeboy in Illinois, Indiana, Wyoming, or Mississippi. Yet, if I walk around Vancouver, virtually nothing about me sticks out: I look like one of the locals, talk very much like one of them, and I more likely think like one of them. In many U.S. states on the other hand, I stick out in almost every way.

The story would likely be the same for my relatives in Vancouver: they regularly take day trips to Seattle, and visit us every now-and-then in the San Francisco Bay Area. Even if their passports say that they are foreigners, they do not feel like they are.

On the other hand, what if they went to Quebec City or rural Quebec, where virtually everyone is white, French-speaking, and holds to relatively conservative French Canadian traditions? Their passport says that they are not foreigners, but because they do not speak the language or follow the same culture as the locals, they would not feel any sense of belonging. They may as well be foreigners. I can make a similar comparison to how they would probably feel if they were to go to Newfoundland or Nunavut.

Are we so different? Within ourselves we are. In reality, I see more similarities across the border than within the borders. And due to my background, I’m sure I end up seeing the two countries differently from the majority of people in either country.

there are vast regional differences in Canada. A Vancouverite only needs to spend a few minutes talking with someone from Corner Brook, Nfld to realize that. To a BC'er it's almost incomprehensible

Attitude change dramatically as you cross the country. The easterners arew hard working (when there's work),helpful and tend to band together.

Mid -Canada is pretty much where the majority of decisons are made and the economic egine of the country is.

As you move further west. it tends to conservatism until BC where it's more of a Eastern Canada/Mid Canada mixture, just taken down a few notches in speed

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think people in Western Canada have more in common with people in the western US than they do with those from the east. The same goes for the US. Someone in Montana or Arizona is more like to find commonality with an Albertan than a New Yorker.

The American haters here will most likely disagree.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I think people in Western Canada have more in common with people in the western US than they do with those from the east. The same goes for the US. Someone in Montana or Arizona is more like to find commonality with an Albertan than a New Yorker.

The American haters here will most likely disagree.

As people in BC have more in common with Washington state or Oregan

I would agree somewhat that people in Alberta may have more in common with Montana or even Nebraska. Saskatchewan tends more towarsd the Dakots's and Manitoba is very much like Minnesota

Qualifying "western Canada" as Alberta is a gross injustice to Saskatchewan and Manitoba. As for BC, we're Pacific Canada

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is kind of weird for a forum set up for debate, but I agree with everyone
on this thread so far. Where does that lead us? I don't think I've ever been on
a thread like this before. What happens next?

I'm in Saskatchewan, and have no problem being lumped in together with Alberta
or Montana or Manitoba or North Dakota or even Minnesota...as we're all pretty
close to each other. Even North-Western Ontario is very much like Saskatchewan
in attitudes and mentalities.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Qualifying "western Canada" as Alberta is a gross injustice to Saskatchewan and Manitoba. As for BC, we're Pacific Canada

While I wouldn't use the term "gross", yes it would be an injustice. Fortunately nobody said that.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
but I agree with everyone

I would hazard a guess tha each region will trumpet their high points and unique differences.

Identifying with an American is natural for anyone east of Ontario, as is some will identify with the British in Eastern Canada or Ontario

I'd be more interested in the similarities. Having lived in Ottawa, Calgary, Montreal, Vancouver, Halifax and Toronto

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
This is kind of weird for a forum set up for debate, but I agree with everyone

I'm in Saskatchewan, and have no problem being lumped in together with Alberta
or Montana or Manitoba or North Dakota or even Minnesota...as we're all pretty
close to each other. Even North-Western Ontario is very much like Saskatchewan
in attitudes and mentalities.

Sorry, Ron, but I am a Prairie boy. There are huge differences within each province (say Saskatchewan or Alberta) in attitudes. There are urban and rural divides. The cities, Edmonton for instance, are much more cosmopolitan and far less xenophobic. Edmonton would have more in common with Toronto and Montreal, than Westlock, Alberta, or Weyburn, Saskatchewan. The rural areas of the Prairies were more insular, parochial, and suspicious of differences of colour, religion, or ethnicity. In many respects, to be honest, they still are, although, like a whack-a-mole game residents tend to change biases whenever they think a particular group is getting uppity or receiving special treatment. But, that would be no different in rural Quebec, China, or the Philippines.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
I guess I put this topic in debate because I always keep hearing people talk about our differences between the two countries when I have always seen more similarities between the countries.... and differences within the countries. I mean how can I, a Filipino-American from California, listen and agree when people tell me I'm in a foreign country in heavily Asianised Vancouver or multicultural Toronto, while they tell me I'm in my own country when I'm in Colby, Kansas; Detroit; Miami; or Wendover, Utah, where hardly anyone shares a common culture with me, regardless of the passport.

Personally, everytime I go to Vancouver, I feel like a local. I don't feel that in other states or even in many parts of California. What my passport says means little to me in that aspect.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
People are people. People have to be exposed to difference to realize it is non--threatening and then to become welcoming. National borders are constructs not boundaries between different species.

Night Owl

Jan 22, 2009
Calgary
I've lived in southern Alberta pretty much all my life and we've been grouped with the "prairies" and with the "west" both having differences in how we see ourselves.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I've lived in southern Alberta pretty much all my life and we've been grouped with the "prairies" and with the "west" both having differences in how we see ourselves.

My condolences; but, hey, no one's perfect! Suck it up and think happy thoughts, such as, there are trees north of Calgary!

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
People are people. People have to be exposed to difference to realize it is non--threatening and then to become welcoming. National borders are constructs not boundaries between different species.

I agree with you 100% on this one! I wish more people could see it this way. It probably seems like I don't, but I'm just commenting on how similarities and differences are often seen.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
And, Someone, the perceived differences, though not "real," are exploited by political leaders and elites - business, religious, and social- to maintain power. I don't have to tell you that, but I thought it appropriate to acknowledge this manipulation.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Isn't that why God created Leaf-blowers? Wasn't that on the eighth or ninth day?

God didn't "invent" leaf blowers. You are getting your Bible mixed up. The only reference to leaf blowers that I am aware of is in Mathew 34 (Jesus' sermon on the mount)

...and Jesus did say, "blessed are the leaf blowers"

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
God didn't "invent" leaf blowers. You are getting your Bible mixed up. The only reference to leaf blowers that I am aware of is in Mathew 34 (Jesus' sermon on the mount)

...and Jesus did say, "blessed are the leaf blowers"

I stand corrected. Thank You! :lol: I must have been thinking of snow blowers. 8O

Last edited: