Is 60 Minutes Andy Rooney Racist?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Is 60 Minutes Andy Rooney Racist and will the new President of the United States ban him from the airwaves

Andy Rooney said on '60 Minutes' a few weeks back:

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens...Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, which is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is anopinion.

I have the right 'NOT' to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

I think the police should have every right to shoot or arrest you if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the above lines.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special National Assistance, loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, corner store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don't hate the rich I don't pity the poor.

I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say 'NO!'

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of 'Political Correctness.' I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa ; so how can they be 'African-Americans/Canadian/British'? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was fromEurope . I am proud to be fromAmerica and nowhere else.

And if you don't like my point of view, tough...

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
No worries, we are approaching a critical mass. The world cannot support us much longer. We can't keep functioning in the realm of doublethink and fantasy. Things are going to change - a lot.

IMO.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
This diatribe is not Andy Rooney's work; it's a right-wing email compilation from several sources none of which is Rooney. Click here.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is, Andy Rooney or not, perfectly equalitarian opinion.........not a single hint of racism.

I don;t agree with it all, but I agree with the vast majority.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Other than the fact that none of that was said by Andy Rooney, the President of the United States does not have the magical power to 'ban' anyone from the airwaves.

More bull****, drug up solely for the purpose of stirring up animosity.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It's just what your average,everyday person thinks anyway and is pretty mild ..don't ever ask me what I really think!! Andy Rooney's routine consists of his observations and opinions and is a popular segment of the news program.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
From BreakTheChain.org

Quote:

"Attributing things like this to people who seem likely to have said them serves two purposes: First, it elevates the rant from one-person's anonymous opinion to fact-by-proxy. Second, it separates us from the comments, giving a nice buffer zone to protect us from being blamed/credited for them, should our friends and family members not share the views."

Amen!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
The problem I have with rants like this is that they are often made by people with little to no first hand knowledge of what they speak. This part got me:

"I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special National Assistance, loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, corner store, or any other business."

Being that I did move here from Canada, I'm one of those foreigners people love to bitch about. I don't get any special tax breaks. If anything, I kind of get screwed cause I have to pay taxes for all sorts of things I am not elligible to ever use, like unemployment benefits. I also don't know of any special loans for foreigners like me. I bought my place with a regular loan just like regular people, my lack of a greencard was a problem not an asset. I actually agree with some of the rant, but the tone makes it offputting. "My grandpa fought and died for your freedom!".... it never starts a good conversation with an American.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
:lol:
When a racsist says "foreigner", he means non white.

I always forget that:lol: I've actually had this conversation before. Immigrant tends to mean non-english speaking, poor, unemployed, and American hating to some people. Most foreigners I know here are like me: English speaking, educated and employed in a field with too few workers (nurses, engineers, doctors, etc).

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Andy is the proud possessor of the greatest set of eyebrows ever. I am in awe:smile:

Is this a photo of Andy?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Is 60 Minutes Andy Rooney Racist and will the new President of the United States ban him from the airwaves

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens...Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.

It's true though. You don't have to be racist to point those things out, because they're true. Take BET for example (Black Entertainment Television)..... like wtf is up with that?

I've said it countless times in the past, just as he stated above..... you can have black focused things (Such as that school in Ontario being pushed) and I understand that all of it is designed to promote and give some attention to the african herritage, etc...... I don't have a problem with that at all.

But when you decide to make an all-white school, or you make a channel that focuses specifically towards white people, or you special treatments like college funds based on you being white..... and you can expect all the human-rights people take it the wrong way and call you racist (Not that I even want channels or support like that.... it's the principle of the whole situation that bugs me)

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I have no idea what that was going on about.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, which is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?

Makes sense.... if you want to put them all together, then just call it the Scouts. Then again, those are all just ploys of gradually forming your children for future military employment..... I'd find another hobby for my kids.

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is anopinion.

You can say it's wrong for you, that is an opinion, but you can't tell other people it's wrong for them just because you don't like it..... that sounds like a phobia, if you ask me.

I have the right 'NOT' to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

Then expect the same response back to you, you jackass.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability.

Technically he's right in that case..... but that doesn't mean racial profiling doesn't exist.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American, you should have to speak English!

I see no problem with that..... however people should have every right to communicate back and forth with whomever they wish in their own languages if they like.... however through marketing and selling stuff, keeping things in the official language makes sense. Then again, when you sell imported products, if they're in a different language, get over yourself.

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

And how are they disrespecting "Your" country? If they move in and they officially become US citizens, then you can bite me arse in regards to "Your Country" ~ Because now it's theirs as well and thus, have every damn right to have input on how things should be.

Don't like it?

Leave. :p

I think the police should have every right to shoot or arrest you if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the above lines.

You know, I always hated Andy Rooney for as long as I could remember..... while sometimes he'd have some decent points, most of the time, he's just some ignorant old crank-ass.

There are many reasons for why some people may not heed the warnings of "Freeze or Stop"

• Deaf
• Medication is screwing with them
• Confused from an accident

The list goes on. Sorry Andy.... not everybody is as perfect as you, deal with it princess.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special National Assistance, loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, corner store, or any other business.

Well that's your opinion, and like smelly arseholes, we all got one. That doesn't make your arse smell better then anybody else's though.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

Well that's the consequence of giving and teaching others about freedoms and the ability to make choices..... oh but suddenly when they actually see something wrong with what you guys have been following without question for so long..... they should shut their freed mouths because you don't like it?

Get over yourself. So they shouldn't have a say in what they think the constitution means? What about born and raised citizens of your country? If they have an issue about it, are they allowed to express themselves?

If so, then why? Because they were born there, as opposed to those who came later on and became citizens?

A citizen is a citizen you ignorant bastard Rooney.... get a clue. Everybody has the right to say what they want, whether or not you like it.

Well that one line explains a lot..... although it was already apparent. He doesn't hate the rich, because he is rich..... he doesn't pity the poor, because he's rich and doesn't have a damn clue what poor really is, until the channel drops his sorry ass to the curb.

Karma's a bitch.

I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.

No, what stops me from watching them is bad acting and story plots.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.

Fair enough.... see.... once in a while he says something that sorta makes sense.... once in a while.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say 'NO!'

Whoa, two in a row, I'm scared now.

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

Deal with it.... if we got to look at your ugly infected face on TV, then you can put up with someone's red lip..... frig, it's not like they dragged their face all over your fries before they served them to you...... then again, with his attitude and outlook on the world, I'd do it on purpose.

I am sick of 'Political Correctness.' I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa ; so how can they be 'African-Americans/Canadian/British'? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was fromEurope . I am proud to be fromAmerica and nowhere else.

Yeah well I was born in Canada, but my family's herritage is Irish..... so I'm Irish-Canadian. Don't like me using that term?

Bite Me.

And if for once you could actually get an equally opinionated jerk like myself to tell you my point of view...... it'd be interesting.

All I can say is that he's got the attitude of some jackass who's gotten everything he has ever needed in life and is well off..... the sad thing about that is that all he ever did to obtain that position was to shoot off his mouth like every other human..... odd.

Then again.... one thing I would love to do is

Just imagine.... having that american hunched over dust fart having to deal with...

Rex Murphy..... that Canadian cock-eyed Buzzard Pecker-Head.

No wait, here's a better picture of Rex:

There, that's better.

Should Andy Rooney be fired for being racist? I don't know if you could call any of the above racist..... but I always thought he should have been fired years ago just because he sucks.

But that's just my opnion..... and if he doesn't like it..... tough.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Other than the fact that none of that was said by Andy Rooney, the President of the United States does not have the magical power to 'ban' anyone from the airwaves.

Well it it was Andy or not, it sounds like crap I'd hear from his mouth..... so it makes little difference.

My view still stands regardless..... Nothing above was what I would deem racist..... but he should still be fired for sucking.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

That speech of Andy's goes back many many years. I've always considered Andy to be a pretty straight shooter who says it exactly as it is and if people don't like that I don't think he cares.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Strangely enough, I agreed with just about every word and I don't see how any of it could be called racist. A bit right wing perhaps, but not racist....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
To quote Rooney: "I suppose it's not important, but I hate the fact that people think I've been writing these things. That's hurtful to me."

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
To quote Rooney: "I suppose it's not important, but I hate the fact that people think I've been writing these things. That's hurtful to me."

Well he wouldn't say it unless he believed in what was written, would he?

Therefore it makes little difference to me if he wrote it or didn't..... he's preaching it to the world as if it is his, so all flack can go to him either way.

And if he doesn't believe what he says..... then he's a sell out and uses his name and image for whatever people tell him to use it for..... which is even more sad if you ask me.

But then again..... he's part of the whole hollywood thing, so neither would suprise me.

He still sucks though :p

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I do agree with you as far as the President is concerned BUT the US Congress is talking about instituting what they call the "Fairness Doctrine". The Fairness Doctrine is directed at Talk Radio here in the US. Without question, talk radio is all conservative as liberal hosts do not do well for some reason. Air America was formed for just that reason... which in and of itself was a disaster. So since they cannot STOP Talk Radio the Fairness Doctrine will force radio stations to hire equal amounts of liberal talk show hosts or face penalties.

Let me find some info.