'Big, comprehensive' economic action coming: Harper

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Hmmm. And that means what exactly? A further 1% cut in the GST. I mean that certainly made people "bursting" at the seams with gratitutde to his lordship. Cutback all social programs? Sorry he's already gutted theose. Tax breaks for corporations and the top 2% "rich folk" He's already done that too. Perhaps a reduced cabinet? Nope the cabinet has increased. REduced spending. Nope spending has gone up under Lord Harpo's reign.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper described new job-loss figures released Friday as "troubling" and said his government is preparing to take "big and comprehensive" actions to deal with the slowing economy for at least three to five years.
"Obviously the figures today are troubling, every time a Canadian loses his job this is something that really does preoccupy us," Harper said at a news conference in Montreal following a meeting with business leaders. "What I think is more troubling are the figures in the United States, which really do indicate the period of difficulty we are entering in terms of the global economy."
Harper said the country is going into unprecedented times and the government doesn't want to underestimate how bad things may become.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper said his government is preparing to take 'big and comprehensive' actions to deal with the slowing economy for at least three to five years.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;20921...ouse.ca/30dayfree/index.html?campaignid=tdw30

"We're going to work on the assumption that this is going to be a tough time, that we should not underestimate the actions we need to take. We'll take big, comprehensive actions. We'll assume that we're probably going to have to look at a period of three to five years of such actions. It may not necessarily be that long, but we're not going to underestimate the situation," said Harper.
Statistics Canada reported Friday that 71,000 full-time jobs were lost last month, a number that was far worse than economists expected. The losses were only partially offset by a gain of 32,000 part-time positions in December, resulting in a jump in the jobless rate to a three-year high of 6.6 per cent from 6.3 per cent in November.
Earlier in the day, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said there will be "substantial" job losses in 2009 and he warned the country will also bear a "substantial deficit" because of the recession and the measures that will be taken to stimulate the economy.

Lots of weasel words and "we dun thunk alot about it while we were in the bunker trying to get around this annoying democracy thing"
The Canadian people can hardly wait for the "non-budgert" to hit the streets. Should we all flee the country now while we can afford to?

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
:lol::lol:
Tyr....I know the assume rule (ass/u/me), but can I safely assume you're not a Conservative???:lol::lol:

I'm for better gov't and Harpo ain't it

I tend top vote for the party that I think will be best for the country. That being said, I didn't vote for Mulroney or Harper, but did vote for Clarke. Didn't vote for Chretian, but did vote for Trudeau and Martin

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm for better gov't and Harpo ain't it

I tend top vote for the party that I think will be best for the country. That being said, I didn't vote for Mulroney or Harper, but did vote for Clarke. Didn't vote for Chretian, but did vote for Trudeau and Martin

Your voting record would have been excellent if it wasn't for Trudeau, but that little gaffe pulls you down to a C-.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Prime Minister Stephen Harper described new job-loss figures released Friday as "troubling" and said his government is preparing to take "big and comprehensive" actions to deal with the slowing economy for at least three to five years.

They should have had a "Big and Comprehensive" set of actions back in October when the rest of the world, the rest of Canada and the Rest of the the government wanted it...... the moron.

Oh but now there's evidence that we might be facing hard times?

WhereTF has he been for the last several months, In a cloud of opium??

"Obviously the figures today are troubling, every time a Canadian loses his job this is something that really does preoccupy us," Harper said at a news conference in Montreal following a meeting with business leaders. "What I think is more troubling are the figures in the United States, which really do indicate the period of difficulty we are entering in terms of the global economy."

Once again.... Welcome to the Party Harper.... now that you finally got caught up to speed with what everybody else already knows.....jeeezzzzuzzzz.... This is our Prime Minister?

Harper said the country is going into unprecedented times and the government doesn't want to underestimate how bad things may become.

He already underestimated how bad things may.... no.... have already become and are getting worse.

During the Election and before it, he kept saying everything is just fine, the job loses arn't all that bad, everything is just peachy.

Then after the election he presents nothing to help with the economic troubles in which helped the other parties form up the concept of a Coalition, because the evidence and information was already apparent to everyone except the Cons and Harper.

Facing a boot out of power and a Coalition, he puts the government on hold so that nothing at all can be done for a couple of months to help fix this problem.

AND NOW HE JUST STARTS TO FIGURE OUT THERE'S A LITTLE PROBLEM WITH THE ECONOMY?

What a twit.

Thanks for being such a big hero Harper in trying to come from the opium clouds like some stoned angel to save us from your own stupidity...... *shakes head in disbelief of the level of stupidity*

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
I agree - this would have been better in November, than now. He just wasted 2 months...

Of course - now he is being "prudent and realistic" - when it was Dion (in October) - Dion was "panicking"

I'm looking forward to seeing the budget. I hope (against all reason) he has pulled his head out of his rear and has something decent.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I agree - this would have been better in November, than now. He just wasted 2 months...

Of course - now he is being "prudent and realistic" - when it was Dion (in October) - Dion was "panicking"

I'm looking forward to seeing the budget. I hope (against all reason) he has pulled his head out of his rear and has something decent.

I bet you two bucks that if he actually does, this will be the only time and then he'll be right back to the same old stupid tricks that caused all of this in the first place.

Bookmark this just in case you forget ;-)

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

when it was Dion (in October) - Dion was "panicking"

Dion was the PM? When did that happen? If he wasn't PM whether he "panicked" or not is irrelevant

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
""Obviously the figures today are troubling,"

troubling... Not disasterous, Not OMG, not Holy SH--, not we gotta do something quick!!. Just... troubling...

It's like seeing your kid get a "C" in Gym. It's troubling... maybe we should sign him up for swimming lessons.

yes... truly troubling

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm left wondering if Harper's education included a course in mild mannered understatements. Makes you wonder if he would say poop if he had a mouth full of shyte.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
""Obviously the figures today are troubling,"

troubling... Not disasterous, Not OMG, not Holy SH--, not we gotta do something quick!!. Just... troubling...

It's like seeing your kid get a "C" in Gym. It's troubling... maybe we should sign him up for swimming lessons.

yes... truly troubling

Captain, I am seeing some unusual numbers on my readout.

What..... do you...... make of it..... Mi'Ster Spock?

Well Captain, the patterns that I am seeing are........ Troubling.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Perhaps Harpy is becoming Gliberal or Dipper. I heard him say something about massive gov'tal spending. 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other, IMO........ ALL the leaders are duds n culls and not one of them is "best" for Canada.

I'll have to agree that none of them seem to shine as any paticular potiental...... but one thing is for sure, is that Harper has already had two chances to show his abilities and he has failed horribly imo...... I'm at least willing to see what someone else can do, rather then sticking with the same lame duck whom we already know his tactics and mentality. (Whch is to divide and conquer for his own personal power desires regardless of the best interests of the nation and its people.)

After the last couple of years of childishness, I'm willing to see what else can be offered.

As it goes for the Coalition, the fact that it wouldn't be one party trying to get their own objectives done and will have no choice but to work with one another.... the chances of something actually being done seem a lot greater.