U.S. will give free weapons to Afghan civilians

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
12/27/2008 @ 9:36 am

Filed by David Edwards and Stephen C. Webster

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

One way to quell a violent and deteriorating situation, according to the U.S. military, is to flood the place with guns.

That's exactly what is planned for Afghanistan, where a rising tide of chaos is slowly pushing the country past Iraq as the most dangerous battlefield Americans tread upon.

"The U.S. military plans to help the Afghanistan government recruit, train and arm local Afghans to fight a resurgent Taliban," reported CNN's Barbara Starr.

"For the United States, the most sensitive part of the proposal will be the use of American military funds to purchase small arms, most likely AK-47 rifles, that will be given to local Afghans, according to a U.S. military official."

"There are worries," Starr continued, "putting even more weapons in the hands of local communities could lead to tribes fighting each other instead of the Taliban. U.S. troops could get caught in the middle." The plan would also hinge upon the weak Afghan government to maintain the loyalties of the newly armed populace.

The last time the U.S. poured weapons into Afghanistan was during the administration of Ronald Reagen, who opted to back the Mujahadeen against occupying Soviet Union forces. The CIA spent billions arming the Afghans through the Pakistani and Saudi intelligence services, finally resulting in driving the Soviets out.

Ultimately, the wealth of destructive force and financial heft given to the Afghans concentrated around two groups: Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda, and the Taliban.

This 'new' strategy will be presented for President-elect Obama's consideration, Starr said.

Moderator's Edit: Advertisement removed. Please delete the advertisements before you copy and paste something.

Last edited by a moderator:

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
If this does happen you can bet with the down turn in the US economy it is designed to help a US business out more than to help out the populace of Afghanistan. The imbeciles who have devised this plan should be drawn and quartered.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
12/27/2008 @ 9:36 am

Filed by David Edwards and Stephen C. Webster

One way to quell a violent and deteriorating situation, according to the U.S. military, is to flood the place with guns.

That's exactly what is planned for Afghanistan, where a rising tide of chaos is slowly pushing the country past Iraq as the most dangerous battlefield Americans tread upon.

"The U.S. military plans to help the Afghanistan government recruit, train and arm local Afghans to fight a resurgent Taliban," reported CNN's Barbara Starr.

"For the United States, the most sensitive part of the proposal will be the use of American military funds to purchase small arms, most likely AK-47 rifles, that will be given to local Afghans, according to a U.S. military official."

"There are worries," Starr continued, "putting even more weapons in the hands of local communities could lead to tribes fighting each other instead of the Taliban. U.S. troops could get caught in the middle." The plan would also hinge upon the weak Afghan government to maintain the loyalties of the newly armed populace.

The last time the U.S. poured weapons into Afghanistan was during the administration of Ronald Reagen, who opted to back the Mujahadeen against occupying Soviet Union forces. The CIA spent billions arming the Afghans through the Pakistani and Saudi intelligence services, finally resulting in driving the Soviets out.

Ultimately, the wealth of destructive force and financial heft given to the Afghans concentrated around two groups: Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda, and the Taliban.

This 'new' strategy will be presented for President-elect Obama's consideration, Starr said.

They'll all get a bucket of US obsolete landmines for the kids to play with.

Typical US response. Create a horrendous hellhole from a war zone

Moderator's Edit: Removed the advertisement that was in the quote.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Afghanis are so poor they just go by one name. Instead of weapons, the US should give them each a second name. It wouldn't cost so much, it would be far less dangerous in the hands of their children, and it would be much easier to keep track of them.

An idea from Cousin Spade!

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Afghanis are so poor they just go by one name. Instead of weapons, the US should give them each a second name. It wouldn't cost so much, it would be far less dangerous in the hands of their children, and it would be much easier to keep track of them.

An idea from Cousin Spade!

If left in the hands of US war administrators all the second names would be the same. A nation of Abdullah Mohaommads would be tough to track

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If left in the hands of US war administrators all the second names would be the same. A nation of Abdullah Mohaommads would be tough to track

Now I agree that for a nation of over 30 million inhabitants, a different second name for each person may be impractical. And that perhaps the same second name, such as Muhammad, or a variant, is probably easier administratively, and certainly more culturally sensitive.

And so, I will suggest another idea (Different from guns for all, and all for guns, since guns seem at least to me to be a good deal of the problem!) that will be more cost effective and at the same time contribute to the pacification and Westernization of the region.

Why doesn't the US buy a kitten for every Afghani? Each kitten would have a bar-coded ear. This way the US could track every Afghani as they would never let those kittens out of their sight! Who doesn't love a kitten?!

Another idea from the Spade works!

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Now I agree that for a nation of over 30 million inhabitants, a different second name for each person may be impractical. And that perhaps the same second name, such as Muhammad, or a variant, is probably easier administratively, and certainly more culturally sensitive.

And so, I will suggest another idea (Different from guns for all, and all for guns, since guns seem at least to me to be a good deal of the problem!) that will be more cost effective and at the same time contribute to the pacification and Westernization of the region.

Why doesn't the US buy a kitten for every Afghani? Each kitten would have a bar-coded ear. This way the US could track every Afghani as they would never let those kittens out of their sight! Who doesn't love a kitten?!

I hate cats....and kittens!:smile:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I hate cats....and kittens!

But they taste like chicken! Don't you ever eat Chinese food?

In a country as poor as Afghanistan, I think kittens would end up in the stew pot before they mature.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I hate cats....and kittens!

But they taste like chicken! Don't you ever eat Chinese food?

In a country as poor as Afghanistan, I think kittens would end up in the stew pot before they mature.

8O....surely our troops aren`t eating cat stew any time they order in, or out. over there, are they?

Last edited:

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Puuurrrrfect!!!!