"McCain is friendlier than Obama," says Blackadder actor Stephen Fry

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The very English humorist, writer, wit, actor, novelist, filmmaker and television presenter Stephen Fry - who starred in BBC comedy series Blackadder as Melchett and the Duke of Wellington - gives his view on the US Presidential race.

Since he discovered that his father was offered a job in the US before he was born, so he was nearly born American, he has become interested in the country.

Fry's new book - "Stephen Fry in America" - has just been published.

He travelled to every US state during his travels for the book.

'McCain's friendlier than Obama'

By STEPHEN FRY
Published: 11 Oct 2008
The Sun

STEPHEN FRY is hooked on the US election. The comic is watching every minute of the battle between Barack Obama and John McCain, to be decided on November 4.

Stephen, 51, fell in love with America after travelling across the country in his black taxi cab for a new book and TV show.

Here the liberal actor gives his opinion on the presidential rivals . . . and says who he is backing.

Stephen Fry ... fascinated with the US election

I WAS nearly born in America. My father was offered a job there just before I was born. He turned it down. But since I found out about my nearly life, I have been fascinated with the country.

And like everyone else I have been deeply fascinated by the presidential election. The Americans do these things really very well.

This has certainly been the most exciting presidential election for years.

Rivals ... John McCain, left, and Barack Obama

I was surprised when I did a bit of filming around the New Hampshire primaries with Mitt Romney. Do you remember him? He ran against McCain for the Republican ticket. He was a nice fellow and very relaxed.

What was interesting, though, was none of the Democrats would let us film with them because they wanted complete control over everything.

Quite surprising. You’d expect the Republicans to be the uptight ones not the other way round. It did make me think about things. At one point Obama was David Beckham, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela all rolled into one, a worldwide celebrity. I think he lost a bit of ground, though.

Like with David Cameron in Britain, people want to know what he’s actually going to do.

I do like him, but the thing is he’s not as GREAT as I want him to be.

He’s a fine orator but, you know, he’s actually a bit joyless. He’s great to a large room or a big crowd but unfortunately he speaks exactly like that when he’s doing a small interview as well.

I really like McCain. Judging both of them on public image, which is dangerous, McCain looks like a far friendlier character than Obama.

I do think the McCain/Palin thing will blow up in their faces. There’s the joke figure of Sarah Palin, who is laughably dreadful, but McCain, for all his faults, is a remarkable man.

I think the Democrats will get their act together and I’m guessing Obama will do it. The Democrats are very slick, which will make things over there very, very interesting.

Americans mistakenly believe that they invented democracy but because they have that mistaken belief, it means they’re intensely proud and aware of the nature of democracy. I think that’s probably why they have higher turnouts than we do and why they take their democracies so seriously.

Stephen Fry In America is available from HarperCollins and all good bookshops, priced £20.

thsun.co.uk