Obama has chosen his VP...

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Obama Chooses Biden as Running Mate

Senator Barack Obama has chosen Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware to be his running mate, turning to a leading authority on foreign policy and a longtime Washington hand to fill out the Democratic ticket, Mr. Obama announced in text and e-mail messages early Saturday.

Mr. Obama’s selection ended a two-month search that was conducted almost entirely in secret. It reflected a critical strategic choice by Mr. Obama: To go with a running mate who could reassure voters about gaps in his résumé, rather than to pick someone who could deliver a state or reinforce Mr. Obama’s message of change.

Mr. Biden is the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and is familiar with foreign leaders and diplomats around the world. Although he initially voted to authorize the war in Iraq — Mr. Obama opposed it from the start — Mr. Biden became a persistent critic of President George W. Bush’s policies in Iraq.

An interesting read...
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/us/politics/24biden.html?hp
-------------------------------------------
Now we know! I'm glad he didn't feel obliged to pick Mrs. Clinton.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Biden is a bit of a character. Should make this election campaign fun to watch.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Biden has great experience in foreign affairs. No doubt.

He supported the Iraq war.

He is (unfortunately) a very strong supporter of the "war on drugs".

He also has an "F" rating from the National Rifle Association for his (unconstitutional :) support for gun control.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Biden is a bit of a character. Should make this election campaign fun to watch.
Like a loose mouth getting him into trouble?:smile:

Actually, he is a hands on Senator...
"I am going to Georgia this weekend to get the facts first-hand and to show my support for Georgia's people and its democratically-elected government," said Biden in a statement."I look forward to reporting to my colleagues in the Senate and on the Foreign Relations Committee, as well as the administration, about what I learn."
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hslaP3Gj7tkHiMIBlzQAwKecB34A
----------------------------------------------------
That does sound to me he is perfectly in tune with the Bush government.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The New York Observer reports that Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., had this to say about fellow presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., during a recent interview:
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy ... I mean, that's a storybook, man."
He doesn't think, though, that Obama can win the presidency because he is "a one-term, a guy who has served for four years in the Senate. ... I don't recall hearing a word from Barack about a plan or a tactic."

A ringing endorsement.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Candidates running against each other don't exactly paint the other guy with a rosy picture. Not a big surprise.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
No. Biden will serve him well. Lets face it John McCain has changed positions on nearly everything, and I doubt his fellow running mates haven't made disparging statements about him. So the mud can be slung both ways and probably will.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
This is McCain talking about the man most think is on the top of his VP short list.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Biden isn't the only one that will be answering questions. The Republicans will have a lot of explaining to do.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Biden has great experience in foreign affairs. No doubt.

He supported the Iraq war.

He is (unfortunately) a very strong supporter of the "war on drugs".

He also has an "F" rating from the National Rifle Association for his (unconstitutional :) support for gun control.

Good for him, makes him an even better candidate.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Joe Biden is a great choice, in my opinion. I have liked him for years, like his 'guts', and
no republican will intimidate him, he and Obama make a nice team, and I would love to
seem them together as victors in November.

Biden is so experienced on foreign affairs, and when bush was planning to go into Iraq,
irrespective of what his vote was, he came on TV on many occasions, warning of the
huge mistake that would be. I remember many of the points he made, and now with
20/20 hindsight, he was right on every one of them.
He knew that the different sects within the country would not 'gell' together, and he
also criticized the bush gov. cause they had 'no' plan, just went there, empty headed
and arrogant.

They talked about his early political career last night, and mentioned that as a very young man,
he was elected to the senate, but before he could be sworn in, his wife and daughter were
killed in a car crash, and his two sons injured in same accident. They came to the hospital
room, where he was visiting his sons, to swear him into office. What a sad way to start off
one's career, and sad for them, that they didn't get to share it with him. His sons did survive.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Good for him, makes him an even better candidate.

Which part?

I'm glad he is an expert on foreign affairs......that is all good.

I can forgive him flip-flopping on Iraq.........I've done so myself.

The war on drugs (especially soft" drugs) is idiocy when carried to the extremes the Americans do........it also has a cooling effect on Canada -US relations (over BC bud, and our much more casual attitude) Not a good thing.

Biden is sworn to "uphold and defend" the US Constitution, and that includes the Second Amendment.........and any idiot that can read English can tell it is an individual right, as confirmed this suimmer by the Supreme Court.........

To support unconstitutional laws is the absolute worst thing a politician can do......worse than corruption, worse than stupidity.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If the constitutional words are to be taken literally without any consideration for a changing society and world then individual Americans have the right to bear nuclear arms too.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Amendment II - A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Do you think they envisioned having F18 Hornets back in the 1700's for the security of the state? And if it really is completely and literally "not to be infringed", based solely on that sentence written by men 220 years ago, then people should be able to own Hornets, AWACS, Warthogs, Nukes, and anything else that bears arms unless the constitution is ammended again.

Does the NRA support people owning nukes? You can't cherry pick what people can and can't do then claim to be a defender of the constitution either. The judiciary has some leeway in interpreting what is constitutionally correct for the times, not the NRA.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Which part?

I'm glad he is an expert on foreign affairs......that is all good.

I can forgive him flip-flopping on Iraq.........I've done so myself.

The war on drugs (especially soft" drugs) is idiocy when carried to the extremes the Americans do........it also has a cooling effect on Canada -US relations (over BC bud, and our much more casual attitude) Not a good thing.

Biden is sworn to "uphold and defend" the US Constitution, and that includes the Second Amendment.........and any idiot that can read English can tell it is an individual right, as confirmed this suimmer by the Supreme Court.........

To support unconstitutional laws is the absolute worst thing a politician can do......worse than corruption, worse than stupidity.

Funny how people who want to criticize, use the 'flip flop' phrase, but when they are speaking of their 'own', they use, 'a sensible change of mind', because of the facts of
the present, and even though Biden voted with the majority, he criticized the move
long before they went there, and many of them voted for the majority, as they were torn, at the time, not wanting to go against their government in a time of 'possible war',
and it was a hard decision, and done long before the search for weapons was over, so
when bush wouldn't heed the UN, and let them finish their search, it made many in the senate very uncomfortable, republican as well as democrats.

No need to reply to the rest of your post, as Kreskin did it 'perfectly'.

I imagine you're very good at reading english, then.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
``A ringing endorsement. ``

With the exception of Nixon, no Republican in history was more criticized by members of his own party than was McLame. Their endorsement of his candidacy shows the extent of that party's hypocrisy and lack of principle.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There is one of Obama's problems. Hillary would destroy the party to stay in the limelight.
Many of the Hillary supporters are making waves right now. Lets face it, even the few comments that Biden made during the candidate campaign is making headlines. Hillary has an entire portfolio of attack ads against Obama. He'd be skewed by taking her. As will McCain if he picks Romney. I'm beginning to understand why George Bush Sr picked Dan Quayle.