Obama has chosen his VP...

dancing-loon
Obama Chooses Biden as Running Mate

Senator Barack Obama (external - login to view) has chosen Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. (external - login to view) of Delaware to be his running mate, turning to a leading authority on foreign policy and a longtime Washington hand to fill out the Democratic ticket, Mr. Obama announced in text and e-mail messages early Saturday.

Mr. Obama’s selection ended a two-month search that was conducted almost entirely in secret. It reflected a critical strategic choice by Mr. Obama: To go with a running mate who could reassure voters about gaps in his résumé, rather than to pick someone who could deliver a state or reinforce Mr. Obama’s message of change.

Mr. Biden is the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and is familiar with foreign leaders and diplomats around the world. Although he initially voted to authorize the war in Iraq — Mr. Obama opposed it from the start — Mr. Biden became a persistent critic of President George W. Bush (external - login to view)’s policies in Iraq.

An interesting read...
www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/us/politics/24biden.html?hp (external - login to view)
-------------------------------------------
Now we know! I'm glad he didn't feel obliged to pick Mrs. Clinton.

Kreskin
Biden is a bit of a character. Should make this election campaign fun to watch.

Kreskin
Has Hilary selected hers? She hasn't given up yet.

Colpy
Conservative
Biden has great experience in foreign affairs. No doubt.

He supported the Iraq war.

He is (unfortunately) a very strong supporter of the "war on drugs".

He also has an "F" rating from the National Rifle Association for his (unconstitutional support for gun control.

dancing-loon
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Biden is a bit of a character. Should make this election campaign fun to watch.

Like a loose mouth getting him into trouble?

Actually, he is a hands on Senator...
Quote:

"I am going to Georgia this weekend to get the facts first-hand and to show my support for Georgia's people and its democratically-elected government," said Biden in a statement."I look forward to reporting to my colleagues in the Senate and on the Foreign Relations Committee, as well as the administration, about what I learn."

afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...IBlzQAwKecB34A (external - login to view)
----------------------------------------------------
That does sound to me he is perfectly in tune with the Bush government.

Walter
The New York Observer reports (external - login to view) that Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., had this to say about fellow presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., during a recent interview:
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy ... I mean, that's a storybook, man."
He doesn't think, though, that Obama can win the presidency because he is "a one-term, a guy who has served for four years in the Senate. ... I don't recall hearing a word from Barack about a plan or a tactic."

A ringing endorsement.

Kreskin
Candidates running against each other don't exactly paint the other guy with a rosy picture. Not a big surprise.

missile
Conservative
Anybody want to make book that this just lost him the election?

Kreskin
No. Biden will serve him well. Lets face it John McCain has changed positions on nearly everything, and I doubt his fellow running mates haven't made disparging statements about him. So the mud can be slung both ways and probably will.

Kreskin
This is McCain talking about the man most think is on the top of his VP short list.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvHV5UWGS4Pkw

Kreskin
Biden isn't the only one that will be answering questions. The Republicans will have a lot of explaining to do.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvo3jYsdSSamk

talloola
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Biden has great experience in foreign affairs. No doubt.

He supported the Iraq war.

He is (unfortunately) a very strong supporter of the "war on drugs".

He also has an "F" rating from the National Rifle Association for his (unconstitutional support for gun control.

Good for him, makes him an even better candidate.

talloola
No Party Affiliation
Joe Biden is a great choice, in my opinion. I have liked him for years, like his 'guts', and
no republican will intimidate him, he and Obama make a nice team, and I would love to
seem them together as victors in November.

Biden is so experienced on foreign affairs, and when bush was planning to go into Iraq,
irrespective of what his vote was, he came on TV on many occasions, warning of the
huge mistake that would be. I remember many of the points he made, and now with
20/20 hindsight, he was right on every one of them.
He knew that the different sects within the country would not 'gell' together, and he
also criticized the bush gov. cause they had 'no' plan, just went there, empty headed
and arrogant.

They talked about his early political career last night, and mentioned that as a very young man,
he was elected to the senate, but before he could be sworn in, his wife and daughter were
killed in a car crash, and his two sons injured in same accident. They came to the hospital
room, where he was visiting his sons, to swear him into office. What a sad way to start off
one's career, and sad for them, that they didn't get to share it with him. His sons did survive.
Last edited by talloola; Aug 23rd, 2008 at 02:20 PM..

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

Good for him, makes him an even better candidate.

Which part?

I'm glad he is an expert on foreign affairs......that is all good.

I can forgive him flip-flopping on Iraq.........I've done so myself.

The war on drugs (especially soft" drugs) is idiocy when carried to the extremes the Americans do........it also has a cooling effect on Canada -US relations (over BC bud, and our much more casual attitude) Not a good thing.

Biden is sworn to "uphold and defend" the US Constitution, and that includes the Second Amendment.........and any idiot that can read English can tell it is an individual right, as confirmed this suimmer by the Supreme Court.........

To support unconstitutional laws is the absolute worst thing a politician can do......worse than corruption, worse than stupidity.

Kreskin
If the constitutional words are to be taken literally without any consideration for a changing society and world then individual Americans have the right to bear nuclear arms too.

Kreskin
Quote:

Amendment II - A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Do you think they envisioned having F18 Hornets back in the 1700's for the security of the state? And if it really is completely and literally "not to be infringed", based solely on that sentence written by men 220 years ago, then people should be able to own Hornets, AWACS, Warthogs, Nukes, and anything else that bears arms unless the constitution is ammended again.

Does the NRA support people owning nukes? You can't cherry pick what people can and can't do then claim to be a defender of the constitution either. The judiciary has some leeway in interpreting what is constitutionally correct for the times, not the NRA.

talloola
No Party Affiliation

Which part?

I'm glad he is an expert on foreign affairs......that is all good.

I can forgive him flip-flopping on Iraq.........I've done so myself.

The war on drugs (especially soft" drugs) is idiocy when carried to the extremes the Americans do........it also has a cooling effect on Canada -US relations (over BC bud, and our much more casual attitude) Not a good thing.

Biden is sworn to "uphold and defend" the US Constitution, and that includes the Second Amendment.........and any idiot that can read English can tell it is an individual right, as confirmed this suimmer by the Supreme Court.........

To support unconstitutional laws is the absolute worst thing a politician can do......worse than corruption, worse than stupidity.

Funny how people who want to criticize, use the 'flip flop' phrase, but when they are speaking of their 'own', they use, 'a sensible change of mind', because of the facts of
the present, and even though Biden voted with the majority, he criticized the move
long before they went there, and many of them voted for the majority, as they were torn, at the time, not wanting to go against their government in a time of 'possible war',
and it was a hard decision, and done long before the search for weapons was over, so
when bush wouldn't heed the UN, and let them finish their search, it made many in the senate very uncomfortable, republican as well as democrats.

No need to reply to the rest of your post, as Kreskin did it 'perfectly'.

I imagine you're very good at reading english, then.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
``A ringing endorsement. ``

With the exception of Nixon, no Republican in history was more criticized by members of his own party than was McLame. Their endorsement of his candidacy shows the extent of that party's hypocrisy and lack of principle.

#juan
No Party Affiliation

Has Hilary selected hers? She hasn't given up yet.

There is one of Obama's problems. Hillary would destroy the party to stay in the limelight.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

There is one of Obama's problems. Hillary would destroy the party to stay in the limelight.

Many of the Hillary supporters are making waves right now. Lets face it, even the few comments that Biden made during the candidate campaign is making headlines. Hillary has an entire portfolio of attack ads against Obama. He'd be skewed by taking her. As will McCain if he picks Romney. I'm beginning to understand why George Bush Sr picked Dan Quayle.

#juan
No Party Affiliation

Many of the Hillary supporters are making waves right now. Lets face it, even the few comments that Biden made during the candidate campaign is making headlines. Hillary has an entire portfolio of attack ads against Obama. He'd be skewed by taking her. As will McCain if he picks Romney. I'm beginning to understand why George Bush Sr picked Dan Quayle.

I have followed American elections for almost fifty years. There used to be some honour involved in that if you lost the nomination you threw all your backing behind the one who won the nomination. Hanging in and back-stabbing a fellow party member the way Hillary is doing is screwing the whole system.

If you win the nomination, you want to pick somebody as your running mate who is less attractive to the populous than you are for obvious reasons...

talloola
No Party Affiliation
Many of Hilliary's supporters are prepairing with signs, and the whole ten yards, to make
it quite clear, that they are still standing behind her, even though they know Obama is
the clear winner. The party is preparing for those people at the convention, which starts
very soon, and they have an area where they can do 'their thing', but they have stated
they will not allow anything out of the ordinary, that would attract 'negative' attention.

The republicans are 'licking' their lips waiting to trash them for what the hilliary people do.
I also think that most of the people who won't go from hilliary to obama, are prejudice, and are using other excuses, but JUST WONT VOTE FOR A BLACK MAN., it seems pretty
clear to me. otherwise they would have graciously stepped aside, as usual.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

I also think that most of the people who won't go from hilliary to obama, are prejudice, and are using other excuses, but JUST WONT VOTE FOR A BLACK MAN., it seems pretty clear to me. otherwise they would have graciously stepped aside, as usual.

Bloody people who want someone with experience for the job.
Last edited by Walter; Aug 24th, 2008 at 11:31 AM..

thomaska
Everyone stand by for the ads that will be coming out from the McCain camp soon.

They will prominently feature video and audio clips of Joe Biden saying Obama has no experience whatsoever, and will also show Joe biden praising John McCain.

Should be fun.

missile
Conservative

Do you think they envisioned having F18 Hornets back in the 1700's for the security of the state? And if it really is completely and literally "not to be infringed", based solely on that sentence written by men 220 years ago, then people should be able to own Hornets, AWACS, Warthogs, Nukes, and anything else that bears arms unless the constitution is ammended again.

Does the NRA support people owning nukes? You can't cherry pick what people can and can't do then claim to be a defender of the constitution either. The judiciary has some leeway in interpreting what is constitutionally correct for the times, not the NRA.

Totally agree Every American should be allowed to own one musket and a supply of black powder.

Colpy
Conservative

This is not a sensible argument, IMHO....no one has ever argued that the right to keep and bear arms extends any futher than personal weapons......one must consider the intent of the people that wrote the Bill of Rights....and that is made clear by their own writing at the time.

The purpose is that a citizen can defend himself as an individual, or he can show up for communal defense with his own personal weapons. That means the individual has a right to keep weapons that are roughly the equivalent of the personal weapons carried by the soldier of the day.....in 1785 a muzzle-loading musket or rifle, in 2008 an "assault rifle". (although I hate that term)

The F-18 and nuke argument is misdirection......that is not the debate, nor has the possession of cannon etc ever been the debate.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by missileView Post

Totally agree Every American should be allowed to own one musket and a supply of black powder.

And therefore the right to free speech means you can yell off a soap box and own a quill pen.....but the powers that be are allowed to tightly control electronic mass media or any amplified voice........

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaskaView Post

Everyone stand by for the ads that will be coming out from the McCain camp soon.

They will prominently feature video and audio clips of Joe Biden saying Obama has no experience whatsoever, and will also show Joe biden praising John McCain.

Should be fun.

And back on subject...yeah, McCain has really taken up the slack recently....i hope he doesn't blow it.

Kreskin

This is not a sensible argument, IMHO....no one has ever argued that the right to keep and bear arms extends any futher than personal weapons......one must consider the intent of the people that wrote the Bill of Rights....and that is made clear by their own writing at the time.

The purpose is that a citizen can defend himself as an individual, or he can show up for communal defense with his own personal weapons. That means the individual has a right to keep weapons that are roughly the equivalent of the personal weapons carried by the soldier of the day.....in 1785 a muzzle-loading musket or rifle, in 2008 an "assault rifle". (although I hate that term)

The F-18 and nuke argument is misdirection......that is not the debate, nor has the possession of cannon etc ever been the debate.

Colpy, if you're now talking about what the intent was or that it is only about "personal" weapons then you're doing a form of what Republicans like to call 'legislating from the bench' if you ban other arms because there is no reference to it being personal weapons only. It mentions militia and the security of a free state, not the security of one's personal home from a burglar. There is no clear consensus to what the second amendment even means. To me the purpose of the original amendment was to defend the security of a free State, not the individual, because the republic didn't have the means to do it. The ability of people to defend the state government from external attack, not shoot to kill personal property trespassers. And if that is the case the original purpose is a moot. If it isn't, where do you draw the line? Semi-automatic weapons? Machine Guns? Rocket launchers? Any arms-bearing line-drawing is now an "infringment", if the sentence is to be taken literally.

I personally don't care if people own personal handguns. What I would have more issue with if I was an American would be the politicians and special interest groups framing the constitution from a literal sense and claiming anyone who interprets the constitution outside of the literal writing as being anti-constitutional, or in the case of a judge 'legislating from the bench'. Given the very few words written in the Constitution it is impossible to not to use interpretation, no matter which side of the fence one sits on.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by thomaskaView Post

Should be fun.

Nothing like what will be released if McCain picks Romney. It's one thing to pick out a few Biden statements from a candidate debate. It'll be another to run Romney's own negative McCain ads.