Canada wants to buy - US won't sell!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Strict security, growing costs impede major military purchase

U.S. limiting exports to Canada over espionage fears, files show

Ottawa is facing an uphill battle to carry out a promised purchase of $17-billion in new military equipment because of stringent U.S. security rules and ballooning costs caused by a series of delays, newly released documents show.

According to Foreign Affairs briefing notes, the government is blaming U.S. security measures that limit the export of military technology to Canada, as American authorities fear some Canadian workers will engage in espionage.

In addition, documents from National Defence show the government will either have to pay an extra $300-million in "overrun cost" to purchase a fleet of 16 Chinook helicopters, or settle for less equipment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home
-----------------------------------------------------------
I think the US officials read our posts and concluded: Too much anti-Americanism in Canada. We can't trust most Canadians!!8O
But what is wrong with buying military hardware somewhere else? China for instance, or Russia? Would they be just as distrusting?
Better yet, don't waste our precious money on useless weapons, let's rather pay off our debt!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Buy China stuff...that way we can get a look at what they are using.

Wow...some of you have an absolute LOVE AFFAIR with China!

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
If they don't want us to have the equipment, I don't see how we can stay in Afghanistan. I agree, forget the equipment and pay down the debt.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yep we'll get more mileage out of lower debt than haggling with the Yanks to be reasonable.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
:smile:Thank you for your support to pay down our debt! Sensible heads prevail at CC!!;-) I feel encouraged to believe in my fellow Canadians and their good common sense.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Hi Loon,
The short sightedness of the US defense machine is no surprise to me. Everytime I cross the US-Canada border at Blaine, WA. I see the sculpture of the statue withthe inscription, "Children of a Common Mother." That still is true and why this is happening is beyond me as an American. When the chips are down anywhere in the world one of our most dependable friends is Canada. They have their own opinions too and are entitled to those. But this kind of gamesmanship only strains a relationship that should be valued by the U.S. and not viewed with fear or suspicion. This observation should be brought to us to view. Thanks.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Buy China stuff...that way we can get a look at what they are using.

Wow...some of you have an absolute LOVE AFFAIR with China!
Yes, Eagle, I admit having friendly feelings towards China. I thank my young friend Hegel for that, who has explained a few things to me and put a human face on that huge country. It helps to communicate with people! Try it, Eagle!;-) They are just like us.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi Loon,
The short sightedness of the US defense machine is no surprise to me. Everytime I cross the US-Canada border at Blaine, WA. I see the sculpture of the statue with the inscription, "Children of a Common Mother." That still is true and why this is happening is beyond me as an American. When the chips are down anywhere in the world, one of our most dependable friends is Canada. They have their own opinions too and are entitled to those. But this kind of gamesmanship only strains a relationship that should be valued by the U.S. and not viewed with fear or suspicion. This observation should be brought to us to view. Thanks.
Thank you for your wonderful compliment, Norm! To my mind comes the 11th of September, 2001. Canada took in all those diverted airplanes. Unquestionably we took the risk, and thank God, nothing happened!!

You think Canada is more dependable than Israel?;-)

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
A good reason why the Canadian government should buy arms from Canadian companies. This begging for military technology handouts is a longterm consequence of cutting military research and cancelling projects like the Avro Arrow.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah sure they'll sell to the Brits, The Danes, The Dutch etc.. but they're worried about espionage in Canada? Just a bunch of the usual Globe and Mail BS. Their motto must surely be "if you can't find a good story then make one up"

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm guessing the cost increase is because Canada will have a comparably small fleet that will be tasked to do everything a Chinook can do which means jamming all those capabilities into each instead of specializing. Combat rescue, special forces insertions, medivac, small vehicle transport, moving artillery, troops transport, day and night operations, re-supply and on and on. Think of all the special gear and armor that would be needed in one platform to do all they expect.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
A good reason why the Canadian government should buy arms from Canadian companies. This begging for military technology handouts is a longterm consequence of cutting military research and cancelling projects like the Avro Arrow.
Does Canada actually have arms factories? I heard about COLT near Kitchener, a small arms manufacturer, but don't know of any with big and complicated equipment.

IF we have to have all that military stuff, then perhaps we should go bargain hunting at the next world weapons fair.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Exactly. If the US doesn't want to sell us stuff, buy it from someone else. I like the idea of paying down the debt much better, though.
I'm glad to hear that! It would take a while, though!!

Our national debt is about $500,000,000,000 (five hundred billion!) dollars! 8O

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Yeah sure they'll sell to the Brits, The Danes, The Dutch etc.. but they're worried about espionage in Canada? Just a bunch of the usual Globe and Mail BS. Their motto must surely be "if you can't find a good story then make one up"
And here I thought the G & M is one of the better newspapers!:-?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008

Avro Arrow --- mother of the F series of American jets and dumped by --- what a surprise--the Conservatives......just following their insane policies.

Just a point of view....

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It's true that we aren't as security conscious as Americans & someday, we will have a very rude awakening. No matter the cost, we are better off buying from our friends..the Americans.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
It's true that we aren't as security conscious as Americans & someday, we will have a very rude awakening. No matter the cost, we are better off buying from our friends..the Americans.

....because.....we can trust them....IMPHO....do not think so....

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It's a most visible signature yet of the grip that fear mongers in the military complex have on the working of that countries government.