U.S. Weighing Readiness for Military Action Against Iran

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
The nation's top military officer said yesterday that the Pentagon is planning for "potential military courses of action" as one of several options against Iran, criticizing what he called the Tehran government's "increasingly lethal and malign influence" in Iraq.

Washington Post

The US has been banging this drum on and off over the last 2 years.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
American military leaders shouldn't be so modest. When it comes to "lethal and malign influences" in Iraq, they are still far ahead of everyone else.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
As the potentially lucrative continuation of the American foible in Iraq teeters on the cusp of a looming election, Carlyle and a substantial lobby of defense contractors embedded in the Pentagon and the Whitehouse energize the hawks to movment. Roll out another "Mission Accomplished" banner...we're likely to see it needed in the next little while.

When China and Russia and India recognize that the greatest threat to world peace is the United States of America, dynamics might change. There's a not-quite-brought-to-a-boil brouhaha sitting on the word processors of an entrenched and pinned media in the United States that will make the olympic games the test-ground for how much leverage the war-goons of America can count on... There's a continuing unresolved mess in the Middle East that Conny Rice nor John McCain nor Carter nor any external agent can deal with or has demonstrated a facility to deal with for decades....There's the collapse of the domestic structure of commerce and "business" in America....that will of course come down to the "urgent necessity" of the action taken in Iraq as the response necessary to a looming threat posed by Islamofascists......We have the politicized AGW argument that's being used to divide and aleinate factions around the world and inflicting a "camp" mentality across the industrial spectrum of humanity....

Yeah....things look jsut rosey.

The great wisdom of the Americans will point the way........

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
What I find most unusual about the way this thing is presented...

How come the US can openly discuss attacking a soveriegn country without using the term "war"

it's always "possible military action" or whatever and since Iraq is a proxy state whatever Iran might be doing can kinda not be considered an act of war, but IF the US attacks Iran and blows the hell out of them it would somehow NOT be war??
I just don't get how they can talk about how they're maybe gonna destroy a country the same way they talk about domestic issues, it's freaky

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Mabudon

We live in the twilight Zone created by a global economy manipulated to serve the desires of the wealthy. We've had the nuance of "pre-emptive defense" tucked into the lexicon of postmodernity. When an Israeli screams that the tanks and bulldozers crushing the life out of Palestinians is "response" to rocket attacks that legitimizes the pre-emptive defense nonsense. It should surprise no one that America, the staunch ally of Israel would take a page out of the Israeli playbook.

"War" only exists when America or Israel are attacked. All else is pre-emptive defense.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I think Bush will wait until bomb bomb bomb Iran McCain gets elected. Bush surely dosen't want to be a complete disaster now does he?

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Everytime the US economy reaches the toilet level the troops are loaded up. This is a war time based economy and I'm surprised that we haven't used our Afghani position as the launching point. But I keep hearing inuendos that Tehran is on the list for the Urban Renewal, US style soon. I think the only thing holding us back is the lack of fresh troops and support for them also.

johai

Time Out
Mar 23, 2008
Canada - Golden Triangle
Everytime the US economy reaches the toilet level the troops are loaded up. This is a war time based economy and I'm surprised that we haven't used our Afghani position as the launching point. But I keep hearing inuendos that Tehran is on the list for the Urban Renewal, US style soon. I think the only thing holding us back is the lack of fresh troops and support for them also.
With all respect why are we even in this mess, we are peace keepers. Aiding them will be great interest to those who's first and only intent was destroy and/or create paranoia in their country. I must disagree with you and we must get out of this. It's their problem and mess and was of their own doing to begin with, why should we share in their stupidity.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colpy

An attack on Iran would nudge those nations around the planet who've been fence-sitting on the issue of American lies regarding Iraq, American geo-political policy in general..to the Anti-American side of the equation. China and Russia aren't about to let the United States move into Iran after they've moved into Iraq on a pretext and a lie! Many more nations that the United States of Greed get their oil from that region of the world and to minimalize the impact of what an American invaision of Iran would do to the level of making some kind of difference in the American dog-and-pony show currently unfolding in the U.S. demonstrates a certain lack of insight.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Well the only ones that talk about a war with Iran is the loony left.

Right so the current government of the US is the looney/fringe left as indicated in the article in the opening post??

Cos that's who's talkin in that article- are you sure you ain't just copy-and-pasting stuff from various sources cos it feels good man?

Cos "the looney left wants a war with Iran" is, as mikey much more eloquently pointed out, flat out stupidity

I am sure there's gotta be some idiots who would fit that description just as I'm sure there's some right wing idiots (again refer to the opening article) who are hankering for it- I don't do feasability analyses on stuff I would never even imagine doing, after all

But to suggest that the entirety of non-right-wing ideologues actually wants a war with Iran is absurd- you are practically suggesting in some perverse way that anyone who is AGAINST the war is secretly TOTALLY behind it all the way, whereas the few proud war-hawks who feel deep sorrow at the unfortunate "necessity" of wars of imperialism would do whatever they could to avoid conflict??

Utterly idiotic man, you wonder why you have such a hard time hereabouts LOL

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
What I find most unusual about the way this thing is presented...

How come the US can openly discuss attacking a soveriegn country without using the term "war"

it's always "possible military action" or whatever and since Iraq is a proxy state whatever Iran might be doing can kinda not be considered an act of war, but IF the US attacks Iran and blows the hell out of them it would somehow NOT be war??
I just don't get how they can talk about how they're maybe gonna destroy a country the same way they talk about domestic issues, it's freaky

Oh, it's just the same mentality as the US claiming they don't torture their prisoners, but have been documented and reported countless times as doing so, many identify many of their tactics used in interrogation as toture, yet Bush veetos a bill that would prevent them from using torture because he claims it's a valuable tool for the war on terror..... yet again.... he claims they don't torture. :roll:

It's also the same mentality where they claim they are the defenders of democracy, human rights and freedom, but then have secret compounds around the world in different countries which hold people they classified as enemy-combatants..... er.... enemy non-combatants..... a classification they pulled out of their asses which places their prisoners outside of the basic human rights classified under the UN and therefore do not get any fair trials, proper representation and can be detained for as long as they please without charge...... these people are labeled by the US and by the media as guilty before any trial or evidence is presented and time and time again we see people being released due to either no/lacking evidence or no longer being what they considdered a security threat.... which could be anything including someone who farts a lot.

Honestly, since when has the US's talk matched their actions?

Last edited: