Were Baghdad`s Female Suicide Bombers Mentally Retarded?

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Posted 2 February 2008
Walter C. Uhler

[SIZE=+2]O[/SIZE]n February 1, 2008, two female suicide bombers killed some 91 people and wounded another 150 at Baghdad pet markets. The two coordinated explosions marked the bloodiest day in the Iraqi capital during the past six months. Coming on the heels of increased U.S. military deaths in Iraq in January, after four months of declines, the bombings raised new doubts about the wild-eyed claims made by President Bush and Republican presidential candidate, John McCain, that the surge is working and the U.S. is winning in Iraq.

But, almost immediately, Iraq's chief military spokesman in Baghdad claimed that the female bombers appeared to be mentally retarded. Allegedly, an examination of the severed head of one of the bombers led to the conclusion that she suffered from Downs Syndrome. In addition, some Baghdad locals were reported to have claimed that the bomber was known as "the crazy lady."

Such reports, if correct, would lend substance to the assertions -- which constitute the conventional wisdom -- that the success of the Bush/Petraeus surge has caused al Qaeda in Iraq to adopt desperate measures. Americans, then, could rest assured that such attacks were merely an aberration, and, thus, more proof that, thanks to the surge, Iraq's insurgency is now in its final death throes

Condoleezza Rice seized upon the news to decry al Qaeda as "the most brutal and bankrupt of movements," conveniently overlooking the massive bombing campaign unleashed by America's military during the surge and conveniently overlooking the unmanned aerial vehicles, like the Predator, which fire missiles at the command of brave airmen stationed at computer consoles at Nellis Air Force base near Las Vegas. Sort of like sitting in the White House and challenging the insurgents to "Bring 'em on."

Most of the mainstream news media uncritically reported the assertion that al Qaeda had stooped to manipulating mentally retarded women. After all, such evidence better fits into the mantra of a successful surge, than does the ominous possibility that al Qaeda has moved on to a new tactic, one that employs female suicide bombers who have theirs wits about them.

Thus, FOX News, CNN, ABC, MSNBC, CBS News and even The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer talked about the mentally ill suicide bombers. Lamentably, even the Huffington Post, uncritically posted an article sporting the headline, "Mentally Retarded Women Used To Set Off Massive Iraq Attacks."

Yet, during an interview with Stephen Farrell of the New York Times viewers of the NewsHour were told that there were plenty of reasons to doubt the assertion made by Iraq's chief military spokesman. First, there's a huge probability that the bomber's severed head could have been distorted by the blast. Second, Farrell talked about witnesses who saw the woman before the explosion and claimed that she acted normally. Finally, as Farrell noted online, "Iraqi officials have made similar claims in the past."

In addition, McClatchy's Washington Bureau ran an article in which the reporters noted: "Other police officials expressed skepticism about the claim, saying it was made too quickly for any investigation to have taken place." Finally, Middle East expert Juan Cole weighed in with this common sense observation: "The story that the women had Downs syndrome seems unlikely to be true: you wouldn't trust a sensitive terror plot to someone without their full faculties."
Cole also concluded: "The bombings show that Sunni Arab guerrillas seeking to destabilize Iraq have not been defeated and are still capable of making a big strike right under the noses of the surge troops." Moreover, you can bet the farm that such big strikes will occur as long as American troops do Bush's (or McCain's) bidding and continue their illegal, immoral occupation of Iraq - surge or no surge.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
There were very few suicide bombers,this story has none, there are only storys of suicide bombers when the day requires them. It costs next to nothing to snuff a crowd with the push of a button. It really is very efficiently done marketing of TWOT.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
You would think that they would be quite desperate to send in mentally handicapped people as suicide bombers- like the article says you got to have some one who understands when and where to push the button unless it was remotely detonated. it's most likely propaganda.

Reactions: Scott Free

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Remote detonators? Like the kind that cost less than 20c to make and one of the main triggers for IED's?

The big thing Im surprised about is that they are using human suicide bombers

Easier and more efficient to use livestock.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
time

Remote detonators? Like the kind that cost less than 20c to make and one of the main triggers for IED's?

The big thing Im surprised about is that they are using human suicide bombers

Easier and more efficient to use livestock.
those and cell phones are another popular choice- they use humans because troops won't kill them so easily , if they use livestock where do they hide the explosives? no one would hesitate to shoot a cow, it may work a few times though if you had the explosives in baskets on a donkey's back or something like that.
Lester

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
This post strikes me as propaganda.

Armies like to generalize and group entities together as though they are a single entity. It makes strategy easier and justifies bombing general populations. What strikes me as untruthful in this post is that it assumes AQ is much more organized and single minded then is possible in a practical application.; especially in a theater like Iraq. Such a generalization can only be for our benefit to assist us in our generalizations. A soldier that generalized like this in Iraq would be in great danger and so such a ubiquitous view would not serve him well, that is, unless he wanted to bomb a special needs school.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Suicide bombing, terrorism in general is directly againts the aims of any rebel or insurgent force. This fact is well understood by any force engaged in armed revolution.revolt, who depend directly on that same civilian population for sustenence and shelter. The bombings of this nature in Iraq and Afghanistan are conducted by the coalition, as logically dictated by the old axiom of devide and conquer. Two members of SAS were captured in Basra engaging in indescriminant shooting of civilians, they were dressed in Arab garb and the car they were stopped in was full of explosives.
The car bomb is well described in many internet sites, the driver believes he/she is delivering pizza/parts ect; they are not even aware of driving a bomb, A survivor of this trick describes how he drove to the market with instructions to use his cell phone to inform of his arrival, this man was in a signal blind spot, he left his car to make the call, the call exploded seconds later.
No rebel force would target the same people they belong to or are trying to recruit, but occupyers routinly conduct terror attacks on the occupied including arbitrary arrest, martial law, food removal, shelter destruction, water denial, medicine denial all of these and more are being inflicted on Iraqis and Afghans by coalition forces.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Suicide bombing, terrorism in general is directly againts the aims of any rebel or insurgent force. This fact is well understood by any force engaged in armed revolution.revolt, who depend directly on that same civilian population for sustenence and shelter. The bombings of this nature in Iraq and Afghanistan are conducted by the coalition, as logically dictated by the old axiom of devide and conquer. Two members of SAS were captured in Basra engaging in indescriminant shooting of civilians, they were dressed in Arab garb and the car they were stopped in was full of explosives.
The car bomb is well described in many internet sites, the driver believes he/she is delivering pizza/parts ect; they are not even aware of driving a bomb, A survivor of this trick describes how he drove to the market with instructions to use his cell phone to inform of his arrival, this man was in a signal blind spot, he left his car to make the call, the call exploded seconds later.
No rebel force would target the same people they belong to or are trying to recruit, but occupyers routinly conduct terror attacks on the occupied including arbitrary arrest, martial law, food removal, shelter destruction, water denial, medicine denial all of these and more are being inflicted on Iraqis and Afghans by coalition forces.
see Guerrilla Warfare Che Guevara

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Not to make light of this very serious issue, but....

I was feeling suicidal the other night and called LifeLine. I got some guy in Pakistan and when I told him my thoughts, he got all excited and asked me if I knew how to drive a truck.

Sorry...:oops:

ps, that's being done to Palistinians, too. Horrible.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

Absolutely. Your conclusion is backed up by evidence too. The insurgence claim AQ is working against them, trying to create ethnic violence; as one insurgence put it: Sunnis and Shea Muslims are working together to drive the occupiers out, we attack Americans not Iraqis. (a para phrase because I lost the actual website to the interview). Remember too that most AQ (actually just about all) come from Saudi Arabia a staunch US "supporter." The US CIA have been working with AQ for decades and it seems strange how AQ seems to increase or decrease its activity depending on what will help the US realize its goals. For example, when it looked like Iraq was going to be stable and troops could come home, AQ entered the arena and started ethnic conflicts. Now when the need is for Iraq to be stable AQ has reduced its attacks. It seems too much a coincidence IMO. It is also important to understand how much Saudi Arabia fears Iraq and want the US to occupy it. The official response about the difference between bin Laden and Saudi leadership is that bin Laden is more conservative - they are both Wahhabi!

I'm not proposing a conspiracy but rather a strange symbiotic relationship has evolved from the situation.

Anyway, great post darkbeaver.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
It is conspiracy. Conspiracy rules the planet, conspiracy controls our lives. Conspiracy has a simple meaning. The western world could not function without conspiracy at the highest levels to the lowest, it permeates western civilization which is it's bastardized invention.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
It is conspiracy. Conspiracy rules the planet, conspiracy controls our lives. Conspiracy has a simple meaning. The western world could not function without conspiracy at the highest levels to the lowest, it permeates western civilization which is it's bastardized invention.

I agree to a certain extent but where I have trouble is deciding if these conspiracies (not the theories) are born out of a system that creates mutual need by the conspirators where they are brought together naturally, or if they come together in a more contrived fashion - perhaps the system that creates the need is contrived; I'm not sure. I tend to side with mutual need. I'll use the Bilderberg group as an example; where their existence and goals are fact (thanks to the council of Canadians and media coverage) but the members themselves are often staunch rivals. Another example is where the US supports Mahmoud Ahmad, the head of the ISI in Pakistan, and Pakistan's administration, even though, it is known they support AQ. There was a report by the BBC (I lost the link) where they revealed the US army allowed bin Laden to escape to Pakistan in order to gain support from a terror group.

These are desperately diabolical but real conspiracies. What I wonder at, though, is motivation and the amount of conscious collusion?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Were Baghdad`s Female Suicide Bombers Mentally Retarded?

It would be easy to confirm but of course it would have to be confirmed by members of the vast rightwing conspiracy. That would just create more conspiracy theories so why bother.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Great Darkbeaver, your logic all sums it up nicely, except for one thing.

Just because you lump people togethor as one homogenous mass, doesn't mean they do.

AQ is not "Iraqi", few "Iraqi's" consider themselves Iraqi. So one person you call Iraqi bombing another person you call Iraqi is not a conspiracy, it just shows you aren't as good at labelling people as you'd like to believe.

continuing on, the logic you use as to claiming Insurgent forces never harm their own people applies equally as well to governments and their own people.
But that isn't the way things always work out.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I agree to a certain extent but where I have trouble is deciding if these conspiracies (not the theories) are born out of a system that creates mutual need by the conspirators where they are brought together naturally, or if they come together in a more contrived fashion - perhaps the system that creates the need is contrived; I'm not sure. I tend to side with mutual need. I'll use the Bilderberg group as an example; where their existence and goals are fact (thanks to the council of Canadians and media coverage) but the members themselves are often staunch rivals. Another example is where the US supports Mahmoud Ahmad, the head of the ISI in Pakistan, and Pakistan's administration, even though, it is known they support AQ. There was a report by the BBC (I lost the link) where they revealed the US army allowed bin Laden to escape to Pakistan in order to gain support from a terror group.

These are desperately diabolical but real conspiracies. What I wonder at, though, is motivation and the amount of conscious collusion?

Full spectrum domination, sweet simple and complete for all time. Layered conspirarcys complete with two or three seemingly divergent factions in reality all working toward one goal.
You can vote dem or rep and get only what the bankers want in the end, similarly we can vote con or lib and get the same result. The trick is to create the illusion of choice, and it has worked very well for a very long time.
http://www.kasjo.net/reeedcontrov.pdf This is about the oldest known conspiracy.