Canadian New Racial Slur?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

(Register to vote!)

In the U.S. south, is Canadian a new racial slur?
Graeme Hamilton
National Post
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:10 EST

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/147913-In-the-U-S-south-is-Canadian-a-new-racial-slur-

"Canadian" has apparently become a code word for blacks among American racists.
It was a routine e-mail from the boss sent to congratulate a junior prosecutor in Houston, Tex., who had won manslaughter convictions against an intoxicated driver.
"He convicted Mr. Sosa of a double intoxication manslaughter, got a weak jury to give him 12 years in each, and then convinced Judge Wallace to stack the sentences," Harris County assistant district attorney Mike Trent wrote in an office-wide memo. Then came the odd part: "He overcame a subversively good defence by Matt Hennessey that had some Canadians on the jury feeling sorry for the defendant and forced them to do the right thing."
The e-mail was sent in 2003 but came to light only this month as part of an unrelated controversy with his office, forcing Mr. Trent to defend himself against accusations of bigotry -- not because he offended the people of Canada, but because "Canadian" has apparently become a code word for blacks among American racists.
"T

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Nice slice to the left, but all ya hit was the ruff hun...

This isn't new, it's been around since at least the late 80's when I first heard and it isn't directed at 'blacks'.

It is however directed at apathetic folk, seen to be weak kneed on crime and dishing out fitting punishments for criminals, as well as anyone coming across as 'swishy' or over polite.

But anything to bash them yank's eh?

The depths to which some people will dive in their attempts to slander a Nation, is beyond contempt.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's what I thought too bear... someone got the intentions mixed up. He may as well have written 'pussies' instead of Canadians for the way the Texans I know use the word.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Texans, Californians, Carolinians, Alabamians, almost every American Soldier I've ever met...and so on...

As you said, it is synonymous with 'pussy'.

Not 'Blacks'.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Hows that Insulting...if I were black id be like Damn right Iam Canadian you imbred puritan south living cusin lovin swamp washin funny accented gun twirlin morons....

Crap iam going to Texas on exercise next month Iam done for.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hows that Insulting...if I were black id be like Damn right Iam Canadian you imbred puritan south living cusin lovin swamp washin funny accented gun twirlin morons....

Crap iam going to Texas on exercise next month Iam done for.
You haven't been to Bragg yet have ya? :lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
nope I land ther then go to fort bliss...atleast ill miss the better part of febuary in the Ottawa Valley....damn ice and wind tunnel this place is.
If you get the chance, do Bragg, it's a blast....you wanna see some crazy Bastards!!! US Army Rangers are just this side of insane.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
hahaha...i have meet some in gagetown they are pretty ummm....out there....especailly when they get on the Canadian beers....downtown fredricton will never be the same. I get to go to Elpaso for a day....that should be fun....maybe?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I wonder if Germans called "black" jurors Polish before the invasion?

Quick note: it's funny to see Canadian republican styled war *****s here. I've heard about them... I thought they were just rednecks, but I see I was wrong... they are the real wanabe.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
TheStar.com | comment | What's code for `bigot'?
Jan 29, 2008 04:30 AM

Racists using code word `Canadian'
as substitute for N-word
Jan. 26
As a Canadian born and raised in Toronto and residing in the U.S. for nearly a decade, I can tell you that substituting "Canadian" for the N-word is common practice among white men in many states. I have come across it many times.
In 1998, I worked as a consultant and travelled across the U.S. for work with colleges and universities. On one of my first visits, in Maryland, I was introduced to a large group of white men as a "Canadian." They all thought this was hysterical. I was surprised, but expected the usual questions about hockey, igloos and French.
Later in the evening, over a few pints, they confided that "Canadian" is used instead of the N-word when "blacks are around," as it's so ambiguous. I was offended by this. I was unsure if I was more angry as a Canadian – a white boy from Leaside – or because I was drinking with a bunch of rednecks who throw the N-word around.
As the night continued, I ultimately dealt with the situation in Canadian fashion: Pulling the shirt of one of the mouthy members of the group over his head, I cracked him in the head a few times and suggested if he wanted to be ignorant, he had to choose another country.
My travels have since brought me to every state in the U.S., and I can confirm that "Canadian" means the N-word in several, particularly in the South. Sad but true, eh?
Michael Wymant, New York, N.Y.

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Gee, I was in the States for many years and NEVER heard that. Guess I hung around with the wrong crowd.

Hell, I always thought being called "Canadian" was a compliment. :canada:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Gee, I was in the States for many years and NEVER heard that. Guess I hung around with the wrong crowd.

Hell, I always thought being called "Canadian" was a compliment. :canada:

I still think it is, Hermite; plus:

What do we care what a bunch of cracker, trailer trash, low-bred, morons think? --If they indeed think at all. We have one of their true "thinkers" incumbent in the White House.

:laughing9:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I wonder if Germans called "black" jurors Polish before the invasion?

Quick note: it's funny to see Canadian republican styled war *****s here. I've heard about them... I thought they were just rednecks, but I see I was wrong... they are the real wanabe.

Hi Scott, you've brought up the condition of our militarys ideals, which we can plainly see are not in accordance with what is commonly understood to be Canadian. The brain washing has been going on for two decades that I'm aware of. Joint exercise and integration has convinced me that when we will need them they simply won't be our military anymore, in fact if you listen to our captains of industry those people aren't Canadian anymore and if you listen to Harpers circus of clowns the same disconnect from the Canadian identity is true, we have over the course of the last six decades become far to familiar with the enemy. I do not think our military can be trusted to defend this country and I know thier are many traitors and moles in it. Simply put I believe we have no defence against the American assault, and our intelligence and police are the same way.We have been had from the inside out.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
TheStar.com | comment | What's code for `bigot'?
Jan 29, 2008 04:30 AM

Racists using code word `Canadian'
as substitute for N-word
Jan. 26
As a Canadian born and raised in Toronto and residing in the U.S. for nearly a decade, I can tell you that substituting "Canadian" for the N-word is common practice among white men in many states. I have come across it many times.
In 1998, I worked as a consultant and travelled across the U.S. for work with colleges and universities. On one of my first visits, in Maryland, I was introduced to a large group of white men as a "Canadian." They all thought this was hysterical. I was surprised, but expected the usual questions about hockey, igloos and French.
Later in the evening, over a few pints, they confided that "Canadian" is used instead of the N-word when "blacks are around," as it's so ambiguous. I was offended by this. I was unsure if I was more angry as a Canadian – a white boy from Leaside – or because I was drinking with a bunch of rednecks who throw the N-word around.
As the night continued, I ultimately dealt with the situation in Canadian fashion: Pulling the shirt of one of the mouthy members of the group over his head, I cracked him in the head a few times and suggested if he wanted to be ignorant, he had to choose another country.
My travels have since brought me to every state in the U.S., and I can confirm that "Canadian" means the N-word in several, particularly in the South. Sad but true, eh?
Michael Wymant, New York, N.Y.

It's what they always do to the target nations. An aspect of the preparation of conquest. Demonization and or denegration of the target peoples and or nation, common for many decades in thier media, transferred and ingrained in the redneck, it becomes the norm among the imperialist footsoldier and worker. The dehumanization of the victim, endemic among all classes of Western and American culture more specifically. This forms the basis of exceptionalism which ultimately relieves the imperialist of guilt through exceptionalism. Further to that and more disturbing we are bombarded by our own upper classes both political and wealthy elite with the same language and admonitions to step up to the plate and emulate the conquerors, root and branch. Step up to the plate, put the ball in motion, boots on the ground, level playing fireld, world class player, on and on our culture becomes submerged and obliterated with the language of economic and military as well as political warfare and we loose popular national consensus to an imposed generic media delivered cultural bias completely at odds with preservation of or maintenance of national distinction.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Now I don't know half the places you lot are talking about (Never bin there) being a Brit I always though of Canadians as being hard due to their very cold weather, and also people that were akin to the British.

That's an interesting perspective boiler, we don't like to think of ourselves as hard. We like to think we're polite and have good manners. But being a stay at home Canadian I don't have much objectivity about it I guess. The weather makes me a whiner now, my hard days began to dwindle a while ago, eventually the elements wear down the hard parts to dust. hahaha:lol:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Oh well... "Canadian" still doesn't sound as bad as "American Redneck Neo-Nazi"

Oops... did I type that out loud? I'm very sorry, I didn't mean to offend, that wasn't very Canadian of me now was it?