The Real Value of Veterans


darkbeaver
Republican
#1
The Issue of Homeless US Veterans
About 400, 000 homeless US Veterans

By Paul Rieckhoff

Global Research, January 27, 2008
GNN - 2008-01-17

Last night on The O’Reilly Factor, Bill O’Reilly repeated his ridiculous assertion that there are few, if any, homeless veterans in America: [click here to view

video]
O’Reilly raised an important topic: the plight of homeless veterans. Too bad he got the facts wrong.
There are almost 200,000 homeless veterans in America. Let me introduce you to one:
Less than a year after serving with the 3rd Infantry Division in Iraq, twenty-five year old Herold Noel found himself unemployed, homeless, and unable to provide for his wife and four children.
As a homeless Iraq veteran suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and living out of his car in Brooklyn, Herold was not greeted by a support system for veterans. Instead, he met resistance from the Housing Authority, the VA, and New York’s city shelter for families, filling out form after form and added to waiting list after waiting list.
According to Herold, “I thought New York was going to look out for me, I just got back from war. I felt like I’d been stabbed in the back.”
Herald is not alone. Already, an estimated 1,500 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans are homeless or at risk for homelessness. They are joining the increasing ranks of veterans who are homeless.
Bill, here are the facts. Veterans represent one-third of the adult homeless population in this country, and that number is rising. While almost 200,000 homeless veterans line the nation’s streets every night, almost twice as many experience homelessness at some point throughout the course of a year. Essentially, we have the population of Des Moines, Iowa or Montgomery, Alabama “sleeping under bridges.”
This is a national disgrace. As Americans we should be ashamed and outraged that the brave men and women of our Armed Forces are being abandoned under bridges, not denying their existence. As one of the most watched cable news hosts on television, Bill O’Reilly has a great opportunity to help homeless veterans by bringing more attention to the issue. Join IAVA in urging him to be part of the solution (www.BillwasWrong.com).
Click here to sign an open letter to Bill O’Reilly, telling him to set the record straight about the very real problem of homeless veterans in America. We also have a resource center where people can learn more, and find ways they can help.
Paul Rieckhoff is the Executive Director and Founder of IAVA (Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America), the country’s first and largest Iraq Veterans group.

Disclaim
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#2
Coming from Bill O'Reilly, is this surprising? The man's not exactly a shining beacon of American intelligence.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#3
He knows and serves those who sign his cheques. His job is to promote the American illusion of benevolence that is not even extended to it's wounded and needy soldier. An examination of the horrific infant mortality rate in America reveals the same abuse.
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#4
they're 163, and we're 173, out of 195 placings according to Wiki (1 being highest mortality rate, 195 being lowest). 6.8 deaths/1000 live births in the US. 4.8/1000 here. 162 countries with higher rates than the US, 100 of which have rates upwards of 20 deaths per 1000 live births, topping out at a high of 160/1000 in Sierra Leone.

I don't think horrific really applies when taken into a global context.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#5
OECD countrys Karrie, Cubas child mortality rate, for instance, is one of the best in the world. Far superior to the "richest country" in the world. The states also lags far behind Cuba in education, houseing, medicine, agriculture etc; this explains why Cuba is dumped on mercilessly.
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#6
Cuba is 5 placings ahead (1.2 babies superior) to the US.

It is better, but not 'far superior', even though I do understand the point you are trying to make.
 
EagleSmack
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

OECD countrys Karrie, Cubas child mortality rate, for instance, is one of the best in the world. Far superior to the "richest country" in the world. The states also lags far behind Cuba in education, houseing, medicine, agriculture etc; this explains why Cuba is dumped on mercilessly.

FALSE...all of them. Why is Cuba pleading for the embargo to be lifted? They only thing that impresses me about Cuba is how they keep all those 1950 era cars running. When the Soviet Union collapsed so did Cuba. They are just waiting for Fidel to croak so they can flourish again.
 
Zzarchov
#8
Ok, Honestly Eaglesmack? They weren't flourishing before so "Again" is crap.

Quite frankly, Cuba was an imperial possession of America, no different than America once was to America, and yes it was exploited. Thats history.

Would it be again? Who knows, but I don't think it would be treated well, America still hasn't given Puerto Rico statehood (it only forced it upon Hawaii because otherwise it would have to have Decolonized it and returned it to independance).

And don't get me wrong, America isn't a charity, there is no reason it should help out Cuba to compete with America. But having a US embargo is probably the one thing that keeps Cuban industry chugging along.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

FALSE...all of them. Why is Cuba pleading for the embargo to be lifted? They only thing that impresses me about Cuba is how they keep all those 1950 era cars running. When the Soviet Union collapsed so did Cuba. They are just waiting for Fidel to croak so they can flourish again.

Well that proves the point about education. Why is Cuba embargoed again? Oh I know, because you lost a war to them.
 
EagleSmack
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by ZzarchovView Post

Ok, Honestly Eaglesmack? They weren't flourishing before so "Again" is crap.

Quite frankly, Cuba was an imperial possession of America, no different than America once was to America, and yes it was exploited. Thats history.

Would it be again? Who knows, but I don't think it would be treated well, America still hasn't given Puerto Rico statehood (it only forced it upon Hawaii because otherwise it would have to have Decolonized it and returned it to independance).

And don't get me wrong, America isn't a charity, there is no reason it should help out Cuba to compete with America. But having a US embargo is probably the one thing that keeps Cuban industry chugging along.

Perhaps I should have left off "again". Cuba was not really an "imperial" possession. It isn't St. Thomas V.I. There were interests, corruption of course and the little rebel that could. Now they are stuck with what they have. Sure they want the embargo lifted under their terms. The Castro mob slams the US and then says...
"Lift the embargo please."

Not likely. Why should we give Puerto Rico statehood? Why do they deserve statehood over Guam? Puerto Rico is fine where it is and would just be another drain.

Cuban industry...like cigars?

(Off Topic)
You know I wish I could find the post of a conversation I read on here about Cuba when Castro dies. Two Canadians were talking about the possibility of Cuba becoming the next Canadian Province. The other guys response sounded something like this...

"I think once Castro is gone Cuba would be very open to becoming a part of Canada. Canadians are very well liked down there and they have beautiful beaches and hotels. Canada could use a nice warm weather province and I am sure the people of Cuba would welcome us."

Honestly...it's on this forum somewhere! What complete arrogance to think that they would trade up their revolution to be the bar maids, waitresses, and bell hops for Canadians. I said so of course and they stopped.
 
Zzarchov
#11
Why does Puerto Rico deserve statehood? Why did Hawaii (it didn't even want to be state according to UN rules on decolonization the US chaired), why did Alaska deserve statehood?

A better question: Why DOESN'T peurto rico deserve statehood? Why are you occupying an area and NOT making it a state? It is a colony.

And Cuba was a colony no different than european colonial and pseudo-colonial possessions of the time. Just the way the world worked in that Era.

On Cuban Industry, of course they have industry. Just not industry that is competetive with first world nations (especially with subsidization). Thats why the Embargo has protected their local industry from collapse (much as Nafta killed uncompetetive businesses in the US and Canada)


As for Cuba joining Canada, its not impossible but not likely. Usually the carribean areas that ask to join Canada are much smaller, but alot of regions do seek to join Canada in the carribean and pacific.
 
tay
#12
We Can Send $1 Billion to Ukraine, But We Can’t Pay for Veterans’ Benefits?






Jesse Ventura, host of “Off the Grid” on Ora.tv, makes a good case for American outrage. While Iraq & Afghanistan vets still wait for benefits, Congress writes checks for foreign aid around the world.




Jesse Ventura: We Can Send $1 Billion to Ukraine, But We Can't Pay for Veterans' Benefits? | Ron Paul Channel
 
The Old Medic
Conservative
#13
As a "Service Connected Disabled Veteran" of the U.S. Army, who was wounded in Vietnam and has other disabling conditions brought on by my service, I can honestly state that the US treats its Veterans a LOT better than any other country on this earth.

We provide many millions of veterans, including me, totally free medical care. That includes prescription medications, any and all medical tests, MRI's, etc., etc. They even issue state of the art hearing aids to hundreds of thousands of veterans that have NO service connection for hearing loss.

The Veterans Administration has never provided housing for the vast majority of veterans. They DO provide nursing home care, and "Domiciliary Care" for those unable to care for themselves.

They provide a ton of services for Vets with PTSD, etc. ALL Veterans are eligible for that care for the first year after they are discharged from the service. BUT, many veterans refuse to accept any treatment.

Yes, there ARE homeless veterans. The vast majority of them CHOOSE
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#14  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

As a "Service Connected Disabled Veteran" of the U.S. Army, who was wounded in Vietnam and has other disabling conditions brought on by my service, I can honestly state that the US treats its Veterans a LOT better than any other country on this earth.

We provide many millions of veterans, including me, totally free medical care. That includes prescription medications, any and all medical tests, MRI's, etc., etc. They even issue state of the art hearing aids to hundreds of thousands of veterans that have NO service connection for hearing loss.


Well, the scrips are eight bucks for three months.

Quote:

The Veterans Administration has never provided housing for the vast majority of veterans. They DO provide nursing home care, and "Domiciliary Care" for those unable to care for themselves.

They provide a ton of services for Vets with PTSD, etc. ALL Veterans are eligible for that care for the first year after they are discharged from the service. BUT, many veterans refuse to accept any treatment.

Yes, there ARE homeless veterans. The vast majority of them CHOOSE

There are limits on the ability of some of them to make a free choice.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#15
What's with all the necro-topics these days?
 
Locutus
+1
#16
I think tay searches the site for appropriate and properly related existing threads first. He's not allergic to that type of 'work'.

Unless, there's something wrong with him.


Just kidding tay.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

I think tay searches the site for appropriate and properly related existing threads first. He's not allergic to that type of 'work'.

Unless, there's something wrong with him.


Just kidding tay.


What a good idea.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#18
Yeah, everybuddy's obviously bumbling over each other in order to post in here. lol
 

Similar Threads

4
Afghan veterans in torch relay?
by Kreskin | Aug 26th, 2008
0
Canada's first ever ombudsman for veterans
by CBC News | Nov 11th, 2007
0
Honour for Falklands veterans
by Blackleaf | Mar 11th, 2007
0
One of Canada's last WWI veterans dies
by CBC News | Feb 22nd, 2007
no new posts