Obama Dropped Flag Pin in War Statement

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3690000&page=1

An eagle-eyed reporter for the ABC affiliate in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, noticed something missing from Democratic presidential contender Sen. Barack Obama's, D-Ill., lapels.
"You don't have the American flag pin on. Is that a fashion statement?" the reporter asked, at the end of a brief interview with Obama on Wednesday. "Those have been on politicians since Sept. 12, 2001."
Video
Obama Refuses to Wear U.S. Flag

Catch David Wright's report tonight on "World News with Charles Gibson."

The standard political reply to that question might well have been, "My patriotism speaks for itself."
But Obama didn't say that.
Instead the Illinois senator answered the question at length, explaining that he no longer wears such a pin, at least in part, because of the Iraq War.

Personally, I think the crazies are making a mountain out of a molehill, and giving this media prostitute a little too much free advertising over this.

Using Obama's line of reasoning though...I think I will take my wedding ring off as a statement against the marriage, next time my wife and I get into a fight. Afterall, its just a little silly symbol, right?:smile:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
That reporter must have really been hurting for a story, not wearing a pin on a lapel is hardly news-worthy. Obamma should have known better to take bait like that though.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That reporter must have really been hurting for a story, not wearing a pin on a lapel is hardly news-worthy. Obamma should have known better to take bait like that though.

Yeah.

One gets the feeling Obama doesn't know when to shut the hell up, though.

If it has got to be a Dem. down there, I'd go with "anyone but Hillary"!

My preference would be John McCain. Even though I strongly disagree with him on some points (he is mildly pro gun control)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I dunno about all these pins and stickers and bracelets. Do I have to wear every god dang symbol out there to say I stand for this, or am against cancer? Seriously though, he ought to know better than to have said something like that. Sounding partisan is not a good idea in my opinion, which is how I'm sure this will play out.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Well, so far no of the other Presidential hopefuls have slammed him for it. I'm thinking their PR/Image staff may be a little more experienced in what they let their candidates say and do.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Candidates don't need to ...yet. See what happens in the media first. Could be useful ammo later on if Obama steps out of line.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Obama doesn't have a shot. Hillary will win the Dem ticket and then she will be beaten by whoever wins the GOP.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I kinda like Barack's sincerity or the notion that he is sincere...

I think he should have given himself more experience in professional politicking before he convinced himself he was fit to run a nation which is in a crisis mode on a global basis.

He also needs to realize the rest of the nation isn't like Oprah's Illinois where he is god among the plebians. It takes years to muster the necessary guts to undo and redo what must occur. His 'fix' would be a kneejerk which could cause even more chaos than we have at present.

A war which isn't a declared one - which is going on all the time - requires someone who knows where the bones are buried. Barack hasn't a clue - yet.

I like him - I would probably vote for him - in ten years. Maybe...or not....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I kinda like Barack's sincerity or the notion that he is sincere...

I think he should have given himself more experience in professional politicking before he convinced himself he was fit to run a nation which is in a crisis mode on a global basis.

He also needs to realize the rest of the nation isn't like Oprah's Illinois where he is god among the plebians. It takes years to muster the necessary guts to undo and redo what must occur. His 'fix' would be a kneejerk which could cause even more chaos than we have at present.

A war which isn't a declared one - which is going on all the time - requires someone who knows where the bones are buried. Barack hasn't a clue - yet.

I like him - I would probably vote for him - in ten years. Maybe...or not....

True true.

For a person that wants to be President but refuses to wear the pin of the country he wants to lead is kind of silly. Basically he is alienating a lot of voters. This will be used against him for sure. He's spending a lot of money for nothing if he keeps doing stuff like this.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hillary is going to be the next President.

Do you think so? Gosh I don't know Toro. She is so polarizing. True, America can't wait for Bush to be gone. Not just Dems but I believe Republicans and Unenrolled want him out as well. I am not so sure that they want Hillary in. She will be set upon from Day 1 if she does get in. I do not think she has a shot against someone like Guilliani or even a Romney.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Eaglesmack - Luv

Best not to use the word 'shot' and Hillary in the same sentence.... the list is long of former Clintonian followers....who have met their maker.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It's amazing to me how most people actually listen and believe 'media'. Look past all of that crap,
and see the person as he really is. Obama is a breath of fresh air, a little young, but his deep
intelligence and concern for doing the right thing is much more important.
If George Bush could have been elected for president 'TWICE", anything can be elected, so, it's obvious that presidents aren't elected because they are 'good' or 'concerned about the people'. They
are elected by backroom workers , and the media, and, as was in the 2000 elections, the supreme court, in the end.
Barack Obama is 'just' what the american people need, but sorry folks, outisde forces will see to it that just doesn't happen.
The fundamentalist religious groups will push hard to have another republican elected, and they
amount to 'millions'. They also don't give a rat's ass about the american people, only their own
greedy selves, and their desire to force people to do as 'they' think, and they will throw around that
phrase again 'morality' as though they actually have it, and others don't.
Disgusting.

Of all the statements Obama made in that particular speech, is that the only thing some people
can remember, is that he didn't have a american flag pin on. How pitiful.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The most efficient method of selection of figure head for the American proletariat would be to keep the scumbag you've got. Like any elections going to change the ruling elites plans.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
About Hilary Clinton...

Did she just surf upon her husband's wave of succes? I mean, is she competent to be president? Would her candidacy even had been considered if she wasn't an ex-first lady?

Pretty much anyone would be a breath of fresh air after Bush the 2nd but I wonder how healthy the democratic system really is when the actual president is the son of a former president and the next president very well might be the wife of the former president...

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
About Hilary Clinton...

Did she just surf upon her husband's wave of succes? I mean, is she competent to be president? Would her candidacy even had been considered if she wasn't an ex-first lady?

Pretty much anyone would be a breath of fresh air after Bush the 2nd but I wonder how healthy the democratic system really is when the actual president is the son of a former president and the next president very well might be the wife of the former president...

You'd almost say there is a ruling class at work, wouldn't you. As long as the power stays with the upper class they don't really care which of the lying bags of **** sit in the oval orifice.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Taloola -

Barack is young - but so was John Kennedy - however Kennedy had the benefit of a lifetime of growing up in politics - Barack has no experience (keyword experience) in the dealings which must be made to maintain one's integrity within politics of 'dealing with the devil and the opposition as well'.

Edit The flag pin is an indicator that Barack himself feels this is an important issue - not the people - whether he wears a pin in his lapel or taped to his forehead is no indicator of his ability to lead. Even if he thinks it gives a 'message' - if that's the thrust of his messages - he's still thinks like a college student.

S_Lone

Hillary WAS her husband's campaign. She has been the driver of the Clintonian vehicle since she picked him in their university days. She had no opportunity at that time to envision herself as rising to the level she is now - but with her direction and 'caretaking behind the scenes', her representative - her husband - fulfilled her agenda then - and now the time is ripe for her to seize the opportunity herself. God help us all.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I don't see Obama as a breath of fresh air... not in the slightest.

I want Bush's candidacy to end like most Americans. Even the ones that voted for him twice...like me. I just thought that Gore and Kerry were worse choices. I always wanted a Bob Kerry (Dem) or McCaine (before he lost me and every other centrist/right leaning American) to be the President.

The only way that the Dems will win is if there is a 3rd Party Candidate like Perot or Buchannon. Those guys sealed Clinton's rise to the Presidency. Just like the Green Party Candidate assured Bush's two victories.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Taloola -

Barack is young - but so was John Kennedy - however Kennedy had the benefit of a lifetime of growing up in politics - Barack has no experience (keyword experience) in the dealings which must be made to maintain one's integrity within politics of 'dealing with the devil and the opposition as well'.

John Kennedy's grandfather was the mayor of boston, and his dad was ambassador to england, but other than that, he had no particular connection to politics, his father was grooming his older brother to run for office, but he was killed, then he turned to John. When John was first elected to the senate he was very green, it actually does remind me of Obama. At least Obama had some experience in his home state working within the community in a political way, John Kennedy went to war, was seriously wounded in the back, spent much time in and out of hospitals. He didn't have muich connection to the community before running for the senate. Kennedy seemed strong and knowledgable when young, but he wasn't, what he did have was a great personality and sense of humour, and a very driven and energetic family pushing from the background, and his father, who would have done anything to get him elected, there was lots of back room dealings, as there is in
most political elections it seems.
When John Kennedy was first elected president, he funbled and bumbled around trying to find his way, appointing Bobby as attorney general gave him a 'buddy' he could trust, and they both fumbled their way and became very efficent as a result of facing much adversity and problems in the country. Learning on the job. It worked.
As I said earlier, if George Bush can be elected, a heinz 57 could be president, so how could Obama
be unworthy of the prize, or anyone else for that matter.
Once the fundamental religious christians get their muddy little hands in there, they will bring out their tribe of millions, oh, but wait, Carl Rove isn't there any more, but maybe he is working for someone new, who knows.
Hillary Clinton is a very intelligent and driven person, and has been since she was very young, made quite a stir during college, as you mentioned, and was a driving force behind Bill, so the fact that she is running for the leadership is completely 'legitimate', and it would be kind of interesting to see her and Bill back in the whitehouse again. I think he is a great human being, just too bad he misbehaved with Monica, so weak and stupid, but it seems his great personality and intelligence and ability to
speak to the world has brought him back into the fold.
I surely won't be voting, and if I could, it would be for Obama, as he is 'fresh' and 'intelligent' and needed by the people, but because of his color, he probably wouldn't gather enough votes, and that's too bad.
The media controls what the people see, as they don't care about issues, don't show good intelligent debating, only controversy and smutty stuff, and the more there is the better they like it.