Bush's Home makes Al Gore's environmentalism, brush.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
The Texas Two-Step

George W. and Laura Bush's new Crawford, Texas home boasts a stunning array of eco-friendly features—perhaps not what you'd expect from one of the least environmentally friendly administrations since…um, creation.
by Rose Marie Berger

Amazing, Bush is my hero now (sarcasm).
No..no..but really..really.
What's this all about?
Bush's policy does not reflect what his home looks like...so what's it really about?

http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=soj0107&article=010722

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Explain what his policy is... in your own words.

This just shows Al Gore is a hypocrit. Do as I say, not as I do.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, if you look at what everyone claims Bush's policy is... oil oil and more oil... then it only makes sense he'd have a low energy home, so he'd have more oil to sell... right?

lol.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Bush house new, Gore home old. Starting new is much easier for things like geothermal, unless you want to dig up and build a brand new house, and Gore would tell you how wasteful that is ;)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Bush house new, Gore home old. Starting new is much easier for things like geothermal, unless you want to dig up and build a brand new house, and Gore would tell you how wasteful that is ;)

Does Bush have a brand new house? Is Gore strapped for funds these days?

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Let me get this straight, because Bush has a few doodads in his house he's more of an environmentalist than Gore?

I guess that makes up for the thousands of tons of CO2 being put into the atmosphere by the jets, tanks, and ships that are busy making the world safe for Exxon Mobil.

When they first took office both Bush and Cheney stated that conservation was not part of their energy policy, it wasn't till after Katrina that Bush finally clued in there might be a problem and started asking Americans to use less oil. He still won't agree to imposed limits on CO2 emmissions because the lose of profits to the industry he loves so much.

Gore could fly around the world with a whole squadron of passenger jets in formation and it wouldn't come close to equaling the damage that's being done under the Bush reign of power.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Does Bush have a brand new house? Is Gore strapped for funds these days?

The ranch is new, which is what garners all the comparisons.

Gore is not strapped for funds, but that wasn't my point. He doesn't need to build a home in his eyes because, a) he offsets his consumption, which he encourages everyone to do b) he purchases green power, and he has solar panels.

Building a new home is just an added energy component, and a rather large one at that, considering his home is also his office.

He could rebuild his home, but why would he when he maintains he has made it carbon neutral?

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
The passive-solar house is positioned to absorb winter sunlight, warming the interior walkways and walls. Underground water, which remains a constant 55 degrees year-round, is piped through a heat exchange system that keeps the interior warm in winter and cool in summer. A graywater reclamation system treats and reuses waste water. Rain gutters feed a cistern hooked to a sprinkler system for watering the fruit orchard and grass. Clearly, Bush goes home from the White House to a green house.
This home is ULTIMATE self-sufficient house.
Such makes Bush look like hypocrite...since I never thought Republican's priority was to ensure "self-sufficient" home themselves while millions of Americans don't (99%)
Explain what his policy is... in your own words.
Oh come on..even a small little boy can figure out
Does Mr. Texas ring a bell?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Such makes Bush look like hypocrite...since I never thought Republican's priority was to ensure "self-sufficient" home themselves while millions of Americans don't (99%)

In other words you can't explain his policy. All you can do is bash it... whatever it is.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The ranch is new, which is what garners all the comparisons.

Gore is not strapped for funds, but that wasn't my point. He doesn't need to build a home in his eyes because, a) he offsets his consumption, which he encourages everyone to do b) he purchases green power, and he has solar panels.

Building a new home is just an added energy component, and a rather large one at that, considering his home is also his office.

He could rebuild his home, but why would he when he maintains he has made it carbon neutral?

Carbon neutral and carbon credits are a scam. It is a scam for rich wealthy people to have their limos, SUV's, fly their private jets, have multiple houses and use ALL of the energy they want and still critisize everyone else for not doing their share. Carbon credits are a way for the Hollywood elite and the wealthy liberals to still live in the lap of luxury without doing their fair share.

Al Gore is investing money in a company called Generation Investments Management to offset his carbon footprint. He is part owner of this company. He does not buy credits he buys stocks in this company and encourages his followers to do the same... in essense buy stocks in HIS company.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

How on earth does it make him a hypocrite?

Bush has never been anti-environmentalism, even if his policies don't always take environmental concerns into account. But how you run a country, and how you build a home have NOTHING to do with one another. It only makes sense, in this day and age of skyrocketing energy costs, to build a zero energy home if you are building from scratch. That's basic economics, not even necessarily environmentalism.

And BTW.... 'Mr. Texan' describes where he comes from, and perhaps where his interests lie. But if doesn't describe a single policy he has enacted.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Carbon neutral and carbon credits are a scam. It is a scam for rich wealthy people to have their limos, SUV's, fly their private jets, have multiple houses and use ALL of the energy they want and still critisize everyone else for not doing their share. Carbon credits are a way for the Hollywood elite and the wealthy liberals to still live in the lap of luxury without doing their fair share.

Al Gore is investing money in a company called Generation Investments Management to offset his carbon footprint. He is part owner of this company. He does not buy credits he buys stocks in this company and encourages his followers to do the same... in essense buy stocks in HIS company.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Well that's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. The reality is for some people to make their home carbon neutral would require thousands of dollars in renos, money not everyone has. So if you have a conscience which dictates you must do something and can't currently afford it, you can purchase credits. Or maybe you like your house and don't want to build a new one, maybe it's been in your family or something. Personally if I were in Gores position, my home would be a shining example of what a green building can be, but I'm not, and I have no way of guessing what his thoughts on the situation are.

Carbon credits are not just for Hollywood Liberals, I know that liberals are popular bashing, but if carbon crtedits a liberal makes, then perhaps you ought to scold, DuPont, IBM, Ford, Amtrak, Bayer , Sony and Motorolla to name a few.

Right, there is money to be made here no doubt. That's what the Chicago climate exchange is all about, though they do this while reducing net emissions among all members.

I don't even know why I care to write about this, I really don't give two craps about Gore. If you actually look at what he says though, he's not a hypocrite at all. He's doing exactly what he asks others to do. Investing money in companies which bring down energy usage is not a bad thing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Didn't I read somewhere that Gore was living in the big old mansion that his dad built. I also read recently that Gore was adding solar panels and other things to make the place a little more efficient. Bush, on the other hand is living in a new 4500 square foot house built on a $2 million dollar piece of land that also has a large guest house that any of us could live in with our families as well as a four car garage, as well as a big swimming pool. Rumour has it that G.W. has an airport as well. Apples and oranges?

If you went around the south burning down old, inefficient, mansions, you would be busy for years.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Carbon credits are a scam. You are flushing money away to make you feel good and that is all. Again, Gore's carbon credits are buying stocks in a company that he owns. If you buy carbon credits in a company that plants trees. That is fine unless the tree burns down or is cut down. It is at this time a non-regulated industry and basically just takes your money and says thanks.

However, if you would like... you can go to one of these carbon credit scam artist, give them your crdit card and they will deduct $99 and you will be carbon neutral for the year. Yup! It does not matter how much or how little you use... this company just needs $99 from each and that will do it!

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Bush has never been anti-environmentalism, even if his policies don't always take environmental concerns into account. But how you run a country, and how you build a home have NOTHING to do with one another. It only makes sense, in this day and age of skyrocketing energy costs, to build a zero energy home if you are building from scratch. That's basic economics, not even necessarily environmentalism.
I know, it only makes sense that his preparing for "skyrocketing energy cost"
His a hypocrite because he, in the past, owned a oil business and he is the president who was and is devoting to have more oil in their hands...for example, George W.H. Bush's relationship with Saudis and their contribution to American economy..which is EVERYTHING we have.
Bush is oil guy, not some environmental guy who would own such "environmental" friendly house.
His house makes Al Gore look like a tiny dirty rat.

EDIT: I guess I'm contradicting too much. But oh well.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
So what if Gore is going to make money on environmentally friendly energy policies, the Bush family has done the same in the oil industry.

I'd pick Gore over either Bush any day, all they're really good at is starting wars for oil.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So what if Gore is going to make money on environmentally friendly energy policies, the Bush family has done the same in the oil industry.

I'd pick Gore over either Bush any day, all they're really good at is starting wars for oil.

He is going to make a lot of money on carbon credits. That is what he is doing and I think you are missing the point. Carbon credits are investments without real returns or guaranteed returns. There is nothing that says the money you use to offset energy (buying carbon credits) will or even has to reduce carbon being released into the atmosphere. So people are buying carbon credits, continuing to use energy with no real reduction in greenhouse gasses. It is a money making scam. Gore's so called carbon offsets are stocks. Stocks that he has bought in a company that he is part owner of. He is investing in his own company which collects money from people or businesses that want to do the right thing.

Why do you think it was easy for Al Gore to put One years Worth of Carbon Credits in every gift bag at the Oscars some to the wealthiest people in the country? It was easy as it costs his company nothing except to print up the paper. One of those actors, actresses, directors, producers, etc. burns more energy that everyone here at CC combined and Gore gave them the green light to continue... the worthless piece of paper says so.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Again I say, Chicago Climate Exchange is a good example of carbon credits producing real decreases in GHG's. Members trade credits with other members that have achieved reductions.

If I as a corporation, give money to a farmer for instance who would continue to use conventional tilling without the cash they receive for no till seeding, then that results in a net decrease in Global greenhouse gases. What farmer is going to bite the bullet and purchase the expensive machinery to allow no till seeding on a voluntary basis? Margins are tight enough as is.