Joe Bageant ---one block away

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Joe (guy in the middle) lives one block away from me with a sale sign. Lives half the year and maybe all year around soon in Belize.
He just had a book signing in his hometown of Winchester.

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2007/04/joe_talks_about.html

-----------------------------------------------------------
Joe talks about his roots and writing

After his talk last Tuesday at the Kelly Writers House in Philadelphia, Joe Bageant continued talking about writing at a nearby bar. He was joined by his host Linh Dinh (left), a poet and lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania, and by Teresa Leo (right), a contributing editor of CrossConnect and The American Poetry Review.

Text of Joe Bageant's talk at the Kelly Writers House in Philadelphia, Tuesday, April 3:

Thank you for the kind introduction Linh.

I've been writing for nearly 40 years. I've been a news reporter, a magazine writer and editor, and written a thousand puff pieces for celebrities of every imaginable sort. And now, at this late age, I found myself back in my home town writing about the poor and working poor folks I grew up with. Most of what I write is about class issues in America -- mainly because being born in lower class poverty leaves a person with a sense of insecurity and class awareness that remains for a life time, regardless of one's later success.

http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2007/04/joe_talks_about.html

Before we go into the question and answer session, let me start off by asking you a few questions. Raise your hands in response.

How many of you see yourselves as members of an elite class in our society?

How many of you are college graduates or expect to graduate from a college or university?

How many of you believe the current administration's actions in Iraq and secret "black site" interrogation and torture centers around the world constitute war crimes?

The answers to all three of these questions work together in unison. For example, only 19% of Americans graduate from a bona fide university, so that makes you an elite, a person in the top fifth of society, educationally speaking. It also makes you complicit in most of our Empire's crimes both here and abroad. You see, the Empire cannot function without administrators, managers, teachers to instill its doctrine in the schools and universities, lawyers, MBAs, industrial psychologists to manage its laboring millions, economists to justify its economic rationale, reporters to write its news broadcasts, and a host of other professions and semi-professions to regulate the Empire's domination and corporate profitability, both nationally and internationally. And they come from this 19% or 20% who graduate from our legitimate universities. I call them the catering class, or capitalism's house niggers. Class anger makes some of us see things that way.

OK, now how many of you think America has become an empire causing much harm to the ecology of the planet and rest of the world?

How many of you feel that the American lifestyle, that is to say, home, car, media, clothing, foods, entertainment and other services and commodities are essentially something we all deserve and are entitled to if we work hard to pay for them?

Really? America constitutes 5% of the world's population and consumes at least 28% of the world's resources. How fair is that to humanity?

Email Joe Bageant at joebageant@joebageant.com

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I just finished Joe's book "Deerhunting with Jesus" this weekend. He had a booksigning at the local bookstore 4 blocks away from where I live in town. He lives one block away from us.

Once in awhile he comes to the local oasis and sits through a 2 gin or vodka martini with us nest of rabid rightwingers and then must leave us to our hologram.

I guess the conservative ideology is loosening its hold on me lately.

His arguments on health care, gun control are a great bible and plan for the Democrats if they ever want to embrace his points.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I don't know Jim...isn't it a cardinal rule of the right...that any new idea must first be demonized and dismissed before it can be considered...:)

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I don't know Jim...isn't it a cardinal rule of the right...that any new idea must first be demonized and dismissed before it can be considered...:icon_smile:
---------------------------------------------------------------MikeyDB---------------------------------

Generally that's very true.

Of everybody.

Think about it.

I wish I could say I have not done that. But I have.

In fact, it's a very interesting question !! How do we actually change another person's opinion ? Opinions are like a pet. You get very upset if you lose an old friend that followed you everywhere without complaint. Losing an opinion is kin to that.

On top of that, I wonder if all we do is ping for any similar sonar sounds to echo the same back ?

Are we always looking in the mirror for justification ?
A mirror of sound confirming and repeating we we ourselves just said ?

I gotta take a poop.