Israel wants "coalition of the brave" to attack Iran.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
By Micah Halpern
MicahHalpern.com | April 26, 2007
For many countries, the threat of nuclear annihilation is a theoretical issue. For Israel, the threat of nuclear attack is real, palpable, a true possibility. Of all the countries plotting the demise of the Jewish State the country that is planning to use nuclear power as the weapon of choice is, of course, Iran. Which leads to an all-important, non-theoretical, set of questions.

Will Israel strike Iran?

Israel would prefer that Iran be struck - by some other power and rendered weak by another nation. For Israel it would be best if the United States and a coalition of the West emasculated and neutered Iran of nuclear capabilities. Should that not occur, then yes, I believe that Israel will, under certain circumstances strike Iran.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=28047

Hilarious.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I'm sure the Iran issue dominates many an Israeli cabinet meeting.
In the next two years a lot of cards are being played:
- the US will fold its position and leave Iraq
- Afghani resistance to NATO will intensify and the coalition there will splinter
- the Iran government will move quickly forward on its nuclear program
- instability will hit Saudi Arabia
- Lebanon will renew its border belligerence
- Palestine will become a much stronger irritant
- Israel will increasingly consider desperate measures

And the US under democratic leadership in the White House won't have a clue as to what to do.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I'm sure the Iran issue dominates many an Israeli cabinet meeting.
In the next two years a lot of cards are being played:
- the US will fold its position and leave Iraq
- Afghani resistance to NATO will intensify and the coalition there will splinter
- the Iran government will move quickly forward on its nuclear program
- instability will hit Saudi Arabia
- Lebanon will renew its border belligerence
- Palestine will become a much stronger irritant
- Israel will increasingly consider desperate measures

And the US under democratic leadership in the White House won't have a clue as to what to do.
You paint a bleak picture with obvious biases.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
There is a thin line between optimism and denial. ;)
When I look at, say, what she says about Lebanon's border belligerence...I see a bias. Do I believe that tensions will continue between both Isreal and Lebanon...yes. Do I believe that Lebanon is being "beligerant"....no. I believe BOTH sides are deadly wrong and have to stop their BS in a hurry or there will not be anything left to fight over. So, that is why I am saying that she paints a bleak picture WITH OBVIOUS BIASES.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Snfu, I'm a monkey. I'm a he! You believe what you want. There is no more substance in your assertions than in mine. Both are opinion based and reflect not only what we've read but what positions we think are tenable based on such associations.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Snfu, I'm a monkey. I'm a he! You believe what you want. There is no more substance in your assertions than in mine. Both are opinion based and reflect not only what we've read but what positions we think are tenable based on such associations.
Um...actually, what I am basing it on is that both sides have a pretty decent arguement...one side is angry because they feel that their land was stolen, that they have been mistreated by Isreal, that they have suffered as a result of the creation of Isreal...and their response has been to lash out. Isreals approach is that they assert that the creation of Isreal was right, they stake claim to the same land that the palestinians have laid claim to...a battle that has been going on for how many centuries now? They believe that they have a right to defend themselves...no matter who they kill or how...mind you, same goes for the palestinians. The thing is, both sides are hanging on to age old issues and continue to battle back and forth, back and forth. I don't think anyone can deny that. You can take a side...but the truth is, both sides have done their fair of pretty bad crap over the years. Both sides can be blamed for thousands of deaths. Both sides continue to keep the battle going. Both sides are to blame. To take one side is denying the legitimate argument of the otherside. Both sides have a reason to be fighting...both sides share blame for the fighting. To pick a side is to show bias...that's what I am trying to argue in my have dazed, half asleep state.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Snfu, there are a lot of important variables. Arguably the largest in the case of Lebanon is that the country has two governments. One elected, and one self-chosen. Not a recipe for harmony.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Snfu, there are a lot of important variables. Arguably the largest in the case of Lebanon is that the country has two governments. One elected, and one self-chosen. Not a recipe for harmony.
Yes...that causes problems...indeed. That is an issue. But, at the same time, are you saying denying that Isreal has not been known to use some pretty heavy handed approaches to their neighbours? Are you saying that actions that they have done have not fanned the flames of discontent and kept the whole thing rolling along? Or...are you just blaming palestinians?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Yes...that causes problems...indeed. That is an issue. But, at the same time, are you saying denying that Isreal has not been known to use some pretty heavy handed approaches to their neighbours? Are you saying that actions that they have done have not fanned the flames of discontent and kept the whole thing rolling along? Or...are you just blaming palestinians?

How would you feel living in a country where your neighbors want to drive you into the sea and people are blowing themselves up killing civilians or randomly firing rockets into your cities. Would you be so keen to turn the other cheek.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
the US under democratic leadership in the White House won't have a clue as to what to do.

Yeah, like the Republican Bush regime has demonstrated leadership capability of an unparalleled greatness.

Jesus Christus!

snfu73

disturber of the peace
How would you feel living in a country where your neighbors want to drive you into the sea and people are blowing themselves up killing civilians or randomly firing rockets into your cities. Would you be so keen to turn the other cheek.
Um...how would you feel if you were pushed off of your land, treated like a second rate citizen by a the west and isreal, and have your family blown up because someone else decided to fire a rocket somewhere in the general vicinity of Isreal?

Like I have said...and I repeat...both sides have issues here...both have done horrible things...both are helping to perpetuate the continued cycle of violence...it's pretty plain and simple.