FDA Attempting to Regulate Supplements, Herbs and Juices as "Drugs"

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I assume the FDA decisions cannot be enforced in Canada, word must have gotten out that cancer (as 1 example) can be 'eliminated ' by keeping your ph level at 7.3. An example is at the link below, basically pennies worth of a 'common household product' to cure something at today is treated by something even more deadly than the cancer.
http://www.thebirdman.org/Index/Others/Others-SodiumBicarbonateTreatmentCuresCancer-ThomasA.htm
http://www.curenaturalicancro.org/english/perch%E8_terapia_bicarbonato_sodio.htm

Would Canada ever follow the action proposed below?
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_4803.cfm

(in part)
"This move by the FDA is designed to once and for all destroy the 1994 DSHEA law that has made supplements "legal" while eliminating nutritional supplements and natural medicine from the United States, ensuring monopoly profits and control by drug companies and the FDA. It is the latest action item by the FDA / Big Pharma conspiracy that will not stop until health freedom has been abolished, drug companies rule the nation, and every citizen is diagnosed with a fictitious disease and drugged up on monopoly-priced pharmaceuticals."

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Im all for them being legal, but that law has been exploited to cash in on legal loopholes. You can claim anything you want as a long as its "herbal". I could take lawn clippings and garlic salt, put them in pills and say its an "herbal cure for aids". And some desperate people are going to sink lots of money into those pills. Do you think thats right? Think it won't happen? already does in smaller doses.
We have all seen the Enzyte commercials featuring smiling Bob, but Enzyte is just some crap thrown into a tablet , listed as herbal counting on the fact you would be too embarrassed to spread the rumour it doesn't work.
Herbal remedies are fine, but you claim they do something, you need to prove it.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I would like to see 'natural supplements' regulated to the extent that they would need to be tested and then complete literature and side effects printed.
I assume that would mean by an independent body. The FDA might have acted in that capacity long in the past but they were by no means accurate in their findings. Drugs deemed safe for pregnant women back in the 50's and 60's were pulled because they ended up being in reality anything but safe. They don't even test anymore, they accept the 'testing' done by who actually makes the 'new drug'. Now if you can't see room for deception there you just aren't looking. Now we have super bugs, CS is still effective against them. The big pharm have made how much since 1938 on selling antibiotics for that same reason, killing germs? Had CS been used during all that time they would not have had any profit at all.

In a real life example, even further back than the 50's colloidal silver was used for a variety of 'ailments'. It was an effective remedy for over 600 diseases (killing the 'enemy' but not able to repair any damage). It has never become ineffective in fighting any of those. Name one drug manufactures that produces and sells that product. Other than small independent ones that sell through 'other outlets' you won't find any. No pharmacy sells it. The best colloidal silver is the stuff you make yourself, as needed, since it does have a 'shelf life' even if kept in a very dark place. For $10-30 you can build your own and that is good for a lot of gallons of solution, the distilled water is about $2/4ltrs. As long as extra care is taken to make sure no salt is present there are no side effects from silver.
http://www.all-natural.com/silver-1.html
(in part)
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times] The following is a partial list of the more than 650 diseases that colloidal silver has been reputed to be successful against: acne, AIDS (Reference 8), allergies, appendicitis, arthritis, athlete's foot, bladder inflammation, blood parasites, blood poisoning, boils, burns, cancer (References 2, 4, 7), candida, cholera, colitis, conjunctivitis, cystitis, dermatitis, diabetes (Reference 1), dysentery, eczema, fibrositis, gastritis, gonorrhea, hay fever, herpes, impetigo, indigestion, keratitis, leprosy, leukemia, lupus, lymphangitis, Lyme disease, malaria, meningitis, neurasthenia, parasitic infections: viral, fungal and bacterial pneumonia, pleurisy, prostate, pruritus ani, psoriasis, purulent opthalmia, rhinitis, rheumatism, ringworm, scarlet fever, septic conditions of the eyes, ears, mouth, and throat, seborrhea, septicemia, shingles, skin cancer, staphylococcus and streptococcus infections, stomach flu, syphilis, thyroid, tuberculosis, tonsillitis, toxemia, trachoma, all forms of virus, warts, whooping cough, yeast infection, stomach ulcer, canine parovirus and other veterinary uses, and fungal and viral attacks on plants. Simply spray diluted silver on the leaves and add to the soil.[/FONT]

Now suppose you have one of those ailments, verified by a doctor, and when he is giving you the prescription you ask about colloidal silver. You are going to end up going to the pharmacy and spending whatever amount it takes, more expensive the more severe (life threatening) your condition.

Here's a real-life story. I usually catch at least one cold a year. About 10 years ago my ears also started to 'plug up' when I had a cold and would stay that way for about 3 weeks. After this went on for a few years I decided to get some 'ear-drops', $40 later I had this nice little blue bottle with something in it. Took it as directed and nothing, they cleared up at the same rate as in previous years. The next year it happened I had remembered that my mother used to warm up some mineral oil way back when I was a real small kid. This time I got some for about $1 and used it as back then (warm it up, put a few drops in your ear, put in a small amount of cotton, do the other ear, walk around for 15 min and take the cotton out and swab out any remaining mineral oil). After 3 or 5 days I noticed thin strings of material in what I blew out my nose. By the end of the week my hearing was back to normal. Two weeks earlier than the previous few years. The next year after that when I got my yearly cold my ears didn't even 'plug-up', nor have they some years later.
When I first went to the Doc why didn't he just tell me to go and get some mineral oil? The $1 I spent was for a pint of the stuff, I used about 10 capfuls. If that same condition every returns it won't cost me anything to 'fix it'. Going the Doc route, somebody pays the Doc to give me a note to take to the pharmacy, there I pay for the medicine. The pharmacist isn't going to direct me to the mineral oil (profit $0.01/ bottle), he is going to give me the $40/ ounce bottle (profit now into 10's of dollars).

I care little about people buying whatever a Doc recommends, what I do care about is making methods used in the past being 'outlawed' for no other reason that there is no way for somebody to make a profit.

Looking ahead, that will result in any knowledge about any alternative to going to the drugstore as being a forgotten thing. Any breakdown in the line from manufacturer to consumer leaves only one person out in the cold, the consumer who needs something for a simple infection. That chain is not unbreakable, it could happen at any time, through a natural calamity or on purpose.

Just why would you need to study if adding 1/2 tsp of baking soda to a glass of water is safe for a human? Say a person has cancer and having a ph level of 7.3 has shown that cancer cells don't do very well in that environment. Getting some extra oxygen into the blood is also effective against cancer and that is another thing that can be done for just pennies.
How many patients are encouraged to try anything like that (absolutely no side effects) by any Doc? It isn't like your treatment is going to start an hour after you leave his office, so in the time you are sitting around (full of worry) you could be keeping your ph level where it should be, testing done by yourself by testing your own pee with litmus paper and putting some extra oxygen into your blood. So in the time you are 'waiting' for treatment to start you are at least doing something. If the above is going to have any effect it will show up on your next 'visit'. If there is any improvement are you going to accept 'chemo' or try to put that off and continue doing what you have been doing and take that treatment as far as it will go, if reduction is noticed there is nothing to say that trend won't continue until the cancer is completely gone.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
A brief glimpse at the history of medecine:
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1][/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
  • 2000 BCE - Here, eat this root.
  • 1000 CE - That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.
  • 1850 - That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.
  • 1920 - That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.
  • 1945 - That pill is not effective. Here, take this penicillin.
  • 1955 - Oops...bugs mutated. Here, take this tetracycline.
  • 1960-1999 - 39 more "oops"... Here, take this more powerful antibiotic.
  • 2000 - The bugs have won! Here, eat this root.[/SIZE]

Reactions: gc

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
CODEX ALIMENTARIS ENDS U.S. SUPPLEMENTS IN JUNE 2005
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james24.htm
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Colloidal Silver
By Ken Adachi <Editor@educate-yourself.org>
http://educate-yourself.org/cs/
[SIZE=+1]January 17, 2001[/SIZE]
Due to FDA assertions that colloidal silver (CS) is now considered a drug and under their jurisdiction, we have removed Colloidal Silver products from our Products page, but our Deluxe Colloidal Silver Generators are still available, so you can make your own. The present deal with the FDA is this: If you publish articles about all the wonderful things that colloidal silver can do for you, you can't make the colloidal silver itself available because-according to the FDA-you would be making "unsubstantiated medical claims". If you don't post any information about the health benefits of CS, you therefore aren't making ''medical claims", and they won't bother you. I've decided to leave the CS articles in place and encourage you to obtain your own generator. You can always obtain much more information about CS products by sending an E mail to the Editor at pitari@allvantage.com
[SIZE=+1]November 20, 2001[/SIZE]
The FTC is now trying to intimidate all web sites that make CS available with legal sanctions. We have removed all articles from this web site which indicates any therapeutic benefits from colloidal silver, ozone, or Eewahkee. They do make excellent paperweights however. You might want to consider getting some unusual paperweights. Interested parties should contact the Editor at pitari@allvantage.com if you desire more information.
http://educate-yourself.org/cs/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+3]Forbidden Cures[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1]Introduction & Overview / Understanding the Nature of Ill Health and Disease / Natural Healing / Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy / Singlet Oxygen Therapies / Hydrogen Peroxide / Ozone / Bio-Electro Medicine / Rife Therapy / Blood-Electrification / Pulsed, Electro-Magnetic Therapy / Lakhovsky's Multi-Wave Oscillator / Nutritional Therapies / The Budwig Diet / Urine Therapy /[/SIZE]
By Ken Adachi, (E-mail)
http://educate-yourself.org/fc/
[SIZE=+2]Introduction & Overview[/SIZE]
There are a number of alternative healing therapies that work so well and cost so little (compared to conventional treatment), that Organized Medicine, the Food & Drug Administration, and their overlords in the Pharmaceutical Industry (The Big Three) would rather the public not know about them. The reason is obvious: Alternative, non-toxic therapies represent a potential loss of billions of dollars to allopathic (drug) medicine and drug companies.
The Big Three have collectively engaged in a medical conspiracy for the better part of 70 years to influence legislative bodies on both the state and federal level to create regulations that promote the use of drug medicine while simultaneously creating restrictive, controlling mechanisms (licencing, government approval, etc) designed to limit and stifle the availability of non-drug, alternative modalities. The conspiracy to limit and eliminate competition from non-drug therapies began with the Flexner Report of 1910.
http://educate-yourself.org/fc/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.hiddencures.com/index.htm

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Tonington, pretty funny depiction re the history of medicine... because it carries more truth than we might like to admit! :lol:

I'm a big believer in holistic medicines, but I admit my belief in the benefits is far outweighed by my ignorance of the subject. So when I do a bit of research on whatever condition I might want to treat herbally, I find there's often a confusing plethora of info to try and wade through to determine how much, how often and how long to administer an herbal or all-natural remedy. Then there's the issue of purity of product, and processing techniques. Many are processed in a manner that makes them insoluble within our digestive system so we're just passing them right through with minimal or no benefit.

Also, lots of folks may not know that herbal supplements and/or remedies are not always 100% safe in terms of interactions with other medications and certain foods.

Here's a link that discusses some specific herbs, drugs and food interactions - you might be surprised at what you discover... I was.

http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/hol_herb_med_reac.htm

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Im all for them being legal, but that law has been exploited to cash in on legal loopholes. You can claim anything you want as a long as its "herbal". I could take lawn clippings and garlic salt, put them in pills and say its an "herbal cure for aids". And some desperate people are going to sink lots of money into those pills. Do you think thats right? Think it won't happen? already does in smaller doses.
We have all seen the Enzyte commercials featuring smiling Bob, but Enzyte is just some crap thrown into a tablet , listed as herbal counting on the fact you would be too embarrassed to spread the rumour it doesn't work.
Herbal remedies are fine, but you claim they do something, you need to prove it.
Well if a person is incapable of finding his win lawn clippings and garlic salt he should suffer whatever.

The point I'm trying to get across is there are other methods for treating , most if not all, curses on our health. If a person is ignorant (not knowing) of these things he has absolutely no choice. The proposed law isn't so much about regulating products as about there being any ability for anybody to even discuss any alternative (practicing medicine). If a person is so lazy to not do as much research into their ailment as possible then so be it, I don't care. When it becomes that I can't do it for myself then I do care, quite a bit. Say I get cancer and I prefer not to go through the side-effects of chemo, the Gov is saying that I don't have the right to balance my ph level and increase my oxygen content in the hopes that I prolong my life. If passed it is the Gov that will decide what choices I have, do the chemo and nothing else.

You need proof, what would that look like. Here is an article to use as an example.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10971-cheap-safe-drug-kills-most-cancers.html

"
It sounds almost too good to be true: a cheap and simple drug that kills almost all cancers by switching off their “immortality”. The drug, dichloroacetate (DCA), has already been used for years to treat rare metabolic disorders and so is known to be relatively safe.
It also has no patent, meaning it could be manufactured for a fraction of the cost of newly developed drugs.
Evangelos Michelakis of the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, and his colleagues tested DCA on human cells cultured outside the body and found that it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells, but not healthy cells. Tumours in rats deliberately infected with human cancer also shrank drastically when they were fed DCA-laced water for several weeks.
DCA attacks a unique feature of cancer cells: the fact that they make their energy throughout the main body of the cell, rather than in distinct organelles called mitochondria. This process, called glycolysis, is inefficient and uses up vast amounts of sugar.
Until now it had been assumed that cancer cells used glycolysis because their mitochondria were irreparably damaged. However, Michelakis’s experiments prove this is not the case, because DCA reawakened the mitochondria in cancer cells. The cells then withered and died (Cancer Cell, DOI: 10.1016/j.ccr.2006.10.020).
Michelakis suggests that the switch to glycolysis as an energy source occurs when cells in the middle of an abnormal but benign lump don’t get enough oxygen for their mitochondria to work properly (see diagram). In order to survive, they switch off their mitochondria and start producing energy through glycolysis.
Crucially, though, mitochondria do another job in cells: they activate apoptosis, the process by which abnormal cells self-destruct. When cells switch mitochondria off, they become “immortal”, outliving other cells in the tumour and so becoming dominant. Once reawakened by DCA, mitochondria reactivate apoptosis and order the abnormal cells to die.
“The results are intriguing because they point to a critical role that mitochondria play:
they impart a unique trait to cancer cells that can be exploited for cancer therapy,” says Dario Altieri, director of the University of Massachusetts Cancer Center in Worcester.
The phenomenon might also explain how secondary cancers form. Glycolysis generates lactic acid, which can break down the collagen matrix holding cells together. This means abnormal cells can be released and float to other parts of the body, where they seed new tumours.
DCA can cause pain, numbness and gait disturbances in some patients, but this may be a price worth paying if it turns out to
be effective against all cancers. The next step is to run clinical trials of DCA in people with cancer. These may have to be funded by charities, universities and governments: pharmaceutical companies are unlikely to pay because they can’t make money on unpatented medicines. The pay-off is that if DCA does work, it will be easy to manufacture and dirt cheap.
Paul Clarke, a cancer cell biologist at the University of Dundee in the UK, says the findings challenge the current assumption that mutations, not metabolism, spark off cancers. “The question is: which comes first?” he says."

Look at those side-effects, two weeks of "DCA can cause pain, numbness and gait disturbances in some patients". Two weeks, go to the Doc and he says 'You're done, next' compared to well you have your first appointment for gamma radiation. That is the same stuff that if a cooked chicken is given a 'good dose' you can seal it up in a vacuumed bag and leave it in the cupboard for several years before you eat it.

Nobody could ever be forced to try any alternative . There are very few places where you can be treated with gamma. Getting somebody out in the sticks some baking soda is going to be possible and I doubt the isle that it can be found in doesn't even have a line you have to wait in. Would you call it a crime that information being withheld from the man in the sticks that, lacking gamma, he might try something else for a few weeks.

Really where is the profit in eliminating a condition somewhere for a few pennies and then still have some people pay millions to get a burst of solar wind.

If big pharm wasn't strictly about the bottom line concerning the profits of its shareholders then whatever monies have been made by all of them that was based on something they found in Brazil's rain forest (and brought back a sample of and found something useful or harmful) and then made any money off of they would have given some portion of that money back to them. This is different from an idea being developed because somebody gave somebody else an inspiration which they followed and made a monotary profit), it involved something that has always been classified as a national resource. Since the original intent was for that very purpose (to make money, which they did unless nothing was ever made from anything in that plant that was unique to that specific area) they should have been some kind of contract made with the people before the plants were removed from where they were found, I doubt that was done, more likely, "here, have some blankets and the cheque is in the mail". That is why some contracts today have royality clauses attached, as long as the product is useful somebody gets a payment.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Last night I noticed an investigation on CNN, the program was all about the supplement market and the 'fountain of youth'. All of the MD's on the program admitted to taking supplements, even without any empirical data to suggest that they are even effective. The idea is, well we know for example this vitamin or supplement isn't detrimental, so we'll take a small dose anyways. That said, there are other supllements out there and remedies which should not be experimented with.

A good example is human growth hormone. Some people have disorders where they might produce none or not enough, but according to the estimates they gave on the show, 70% of GH prescripts were not given for legitimate reasons. First off, it's natural as we age for the hormones to drop, unnatural to try to maintain them as if we were still a 16 year old. Also hGH stimulates cell groth and division, cancer is basically uncontrolled growth...

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Tonington, I saw that special and the Larry King discussion after. It is a booming field. More people would like to know what does work. Clearly, there aren't many answers out there. And who could afford the 40 separate supplements the one couple was taking? It's a crapshoot. So many of the things the professional community recommended years ago are now in dispute and so much of what we'll be told today will be contested in the future. You have to make up your own mind.
The magic vitamin in the 60's and 70's was C. Linus Pauling lionized it. Then soon after it was E. And gee, they've changed their mind on E and now it's D.
It's a bit of a joke but your guess is about as good as any expert's when it comes to doctoring your favourite patient.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
About two years ago I had an idea for a supplement. I thought a suitable brand name would be Placebo;)

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't understand why herb and supplement sellers are so resistant to having to prove their claims... Wait, could it be because they are worried they wouldn't be able to do so? Hmmm....

I'm all for people using any alternative sources of medicine they want. I don't like companies who take advantage of the desperate by making bogus claims. If they can cure cancer and aids, it shouldn't be too hard to put together a study that proves it.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
if you have any sage in your garden you have a powerful hallucenogen. if you have morning glory which produces seeds, you have the precursor to LSD, LSA. There's some pretty nasty herbs out there. i'd advise using them with caution but i'd also tell the powers-that-be to regulate oxygen and CO2 before herbs.

Isnt it true that you can grow opium poppies legally but not cannabis plants? isnt that weird?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Self, a question. A good friend of mine has had constant dizziness for the last two years. Specialists haven't helped. Neither has a naturopath. In your work with herbals is there anything you could suggest?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
To be totally honest with you Id be afraid to. BUT I have a friend that is a liscenced Herbalist and I will see her Beltane.........can you wait a few weeks for an answer? I trust her.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net