Gore Knows Toronto is the Capital of Canada ;)

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
lol... well Toronto and Montreal is all people think of when Canada comes up.

Mostly Toronto. Montreal not so much.

I was in a parish in New York State for about 6 months years agp. temporary fill-in for a friend who was ill. Most of the people in the congregation, upon hearing I was Canadian, assumed I was from Toronto. My favourite comment was the nice old lady who said to me one morning, "Oh Father, you're from Canada? I have a cousin in a place called Vancouver, you must know him!". Americans can be...awfully funny:)

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Yup I get kind of a weird reaction when I tell Canadians the city where I live too.... not everyone is a geography buff

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I often wonder just how many people Rick Mercier has to talk to until he gets the responses he needs for his show? I have personally meet Canadians who don't know if Halifax is on the Atlantic or Pacific ocean, and have no idea which order the western provinces are in...

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Most Canadians are ignorant of their basic history and geography. A solid grip of both should be expected before they're handed a ballot.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I confess!!

I am now and have always been a map freak! "Mapophile?"

I get an updated map of Canada and the U.S. every year, and my state map too because things change quickly....

I love to look at maps to see where people live and forums are excellent to read people from all over the world and if they reveal their country and even the city - I go flying for the maps.

I guess it is because travel has not been a biggie for me so I travel through other eyes - some day maybe I'll make a list of places I want to see.

The internet has been another great way to look up places all over the world - and the people who live in those places.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Curiosity, I love maps but I also love revision. I have a large blank map of Canada on my den wall and as I feel like it I rename and place on it my own take on what Canada's geography should be. Hudson Bay isn't there; Little Skipper Bay is.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Tamarin

I love it..... name your place any which way you want eh?

Little Skipper Bay is wonderful....

I would call B.C. Rainforest Land....

I would call the prairies - Forever Flats...

hee.... what fun... Oh yes - Nova Scotia - Sassy's Hideaway

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Curiosity, yes, and I've renamed my own local town Little Beauty. I never was happy with a map I couldn't reconfigure. Hopefully, in the deep, distant future, a new civilization will arise and this map will be discovered and change their view of the past here completely!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Um Tamarin

In a weak moment some day could you erace the 49th?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?

A dividing line which never should have been drawn.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I often wonder just how many people Rick Mercier has to talk to until he gets the responses he needs for his show? I have personally meet Canadians who don't know if Halifax is on the Atlantic or Pacific ocean, and have no idea which order the western provinces are in...

That is exactly right. All you need to do is go to the street and ask any geography or political question and you can have a neat skit.

The people who answer it correctly "CUT! Thank you" and that clip finds itself on the floor of the editing room.

Now the people who answer it wrong become part of the skit and this knucklehead can say

"See how dumb Americans are!"

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'd know you could do the exact same thing here in Canada. Do you think Harper knows New York is the Capitol of the USA? You'd get lots of people who say pffffft, whatever. However you only need 5 or 6 dumbasses to make it look like we're all ignorant fools.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Curiosity and Ottawa Bill, don't worry, be happy!
My map here is actually a large blank one of North America. No messy co-ordinates. I've renamed at least 200 places so far. I have to use those finetipped erasible black markers to do all the wallwork. Looks good!