AlBore's Inconvenient Lies

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=7616011f-802a-23ad-435e-887baa7069ca ^

GORE REFUSES TO TAKE PERSONAL ENERGY ETHICS PLEDGE
WASHINGTON, DC – Former Vice President Al Gore refused to take a “Personal Energy Ethics Pledge” today to consume no more energy than the average American household. The pledge was presented to Gore by Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Ranking Member of the Environment and Public Works Committee, during today’s global warming hearing.

Senator Inhofe showed Gore a film frame from “An Inconvenient Truth” where it asks viewers: “Are you ready to change the way you live?”
Gore has been criticized for excessive home energy usage at his residence in Tennessee. His electricity usage is reportedly 20 times higher than the average American household.
It has been reported that many of these so-called carbon offset projects would have been done anyway. Also, carbon offset projects such as planting trees can take decades or even a century to sequester the carbon emitted today. So energy usage today results in greenhouse gases remaining in the atmosphere for decades, even with the purchase of so-called carbon offsets.

“There are hundreds of thousands of people who adore you and would follow your example by reducing their energy usage if you did. Don’t give us the run-around on carbon offsets or the gimmicks the wealthy do,” Senator Inhofe told Gore.
“Are you willing to make a commitment here today by taking this pledge to consume no more energy for use in your residence than the average American household by one year from today?” Senator Inhofe asked.
Senator Inhofe then presented Vice President Gore with the following "Personal Energy Ethics Pledge:
Cl As a believer: · that human-caused global warming is a moral, ethical, and spiritual issue affecting our survival;
· that home energy use is a key component of overall energy use;
· that reducing my fossil fuel-based home energy usage will lead to lower greenhouse gas emissions; and
· that leaders on moral issues should lead by example;
I pledge to consume no more energy for use in my residence than the average American household by March 21, 2008.” Gore refused to take the pledge.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
ALBORE!!! Good name

Obviously he is not willing to give up his life style for the Environment. I think his reputation on this one has run it's course.

Live like an average person? No way!:lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The thing is, he can still live the same lifestyle if he chose so, though he really should be looking to live in a more simple, sustainable manner. It's unfortunate he doesn't make the pledge. I mean, build some windmills, put up some solar panels, install geothermal heating/cooling. It's not like he doesn't have the moola. He comes off looking bad, real bad, and that reflects upon the movement itself.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You know, Gore set himself up by doing what he is doing. Now the naysayers want him to jump through their hoops so they can make political points. Gore is right not to play their games. Gore has said he was adding solar panels, and adding insulation, and doing things to make his homes more efficient. Call him a liar if you want, but how many other politicians are willing to sign thes pledge? So what if they do. Gore has done more to raise awareness of GHG and global warming than anyone else in the world. If Gore was a republican, his picture would be on cereal boxes. It might be yet.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You know, Gore set himself up by doing what he is doing. Now the naysayers want him to jump through their hoops so they can make political points. Gore is right not to play their games. Gore has said he was adding solar panels, and adding insulation, and doing things to make his homes more efficient. Call him a liar if you want, but how many other politicians are willing to sign thes pledge? So what if they do. Gore has done more to raise awareness of GHG and global warming than anyone else in the world. If Gore was a republican, his picture would be on cereal boxes. It might be yet.
More like Gore has done more to con the the unwashed masses.

I'm not surprised I would find you defending the morally bankrupt juan.

It's not about other politicians juan, it's about the one that has led the lied charge, being taken to task on his attacks against the oil industry that he believes robbed him of the Presidency.

If he didn't sign it, he's a fraud and a hack. Something I know your familiar with, being a supporter of the LPoC.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Gore has found a publicity shtick and people think he is the second coming....

I can't believe the people who have fallen for this lout who has the morals of a snake...

He could care less about pollution, global warming and what you do to preserve the environment... he has adopted a cause which gets him the needed publicity he craves.

If you people lauded Ralph Nader, I'd appreciate you have true knowledge of what the lifestyle involves. You have merely jumped on the Bore Bandwagon, blindly following the piper...thinking it is a cool and upstanding thing to do.

There is nothing wrong in choosing your causes wisely, but choose the leaders with more substantial background than press releases of issues never truly addressed on a personal basis.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Gore has found a publicity shtick and people think he is the second coming....

I can't believe the people who have fallen for this lout who has the morals of a snake...

He could care less about pollution, global warming and what you do to preserve the environment... he has adopted a cause which gets him the needed publicity he craves.

If you people lauded Ralph Nader, I'd appreciate you have true knowledge of what the lifestyle involves. You have merely jumped on the Bore Bandwagon, blindly following the piper...thinking it is a cool and upstanding thing to do.

There is nothing wrong in choosing your causes wisely, but choose the leaders with more substantial background than press releases of issues never truly addressed on a personal basis.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
AlBore's inconvenient lies

Thanks Bear

That was a rant eh? Must be low on sugar!

That was a good rant and don't excuse it. Wait until the rest of them come down, it should be interesting. Watch and see what they will now say about ALBore, they won't be able to condem him fast enough or maybe they will try to give excuses.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks Sparrow

Here is one group who quietly go about their business... pacific, dedicated environmentalism is being practiced and taught all around us if we care to look...not as earth shattering as the great call for Global Warming attention, but nevertheless small groups doing what they can ...

http://alumni.berkeley.edu/calmag/200609/brower.asp

Green has a new home
The new David Brower Center will honor and extend the long collaboration between the university and the environmental movement
STORY BY KENNETH BROWER, PHOTOGRAPHS BY MICHAEL COLLOPY

In its gestation, the David Brower Center -- an environmental think-tank planned for downtown Berkeley, at the edge of the UC campus -- has passed the blueprint stage and is deep in its third trimester. Groundbreaking is scheduled for this fall. The building, which honors the late Berkeley conservationist David R. Brower, will rise across Oxford Street from Edwards Field, so close to the cinder track that environmentalists working Saturdays in springtime will occasionally jump to the starter's gun.
My son, David C. Brower, a twenty-year-old junior, is the grandson of the honoree. In his capacity as namesake, he has offered some thoughts about signage. It would be a great mistake, he suggests, to include his grandfather's middle initial "R" on the marquee. Middle initials are old-fashioned, a little stuffy. Much more direct, and cleaner typographically, would be a simple "DAVID BROWER CENTER" chiseled above the entrance.
I think I catch his drift. In walking down Oxford with girlfriend or teammates, David Brower the younger will be able to slap his forehead in mock forgetfulness. He will cry, "Jeez, excuse me! I got to duck in at my center," or words to that effect, and he will turn into the spacious courtyard of his four-story edifice. "Green tours" will be a feature of the building, and David will conduct an outlaw tour of his own, pointing out the recycled materials, the solar panels, the architectural design by Daniel Solomon, "Dean of the New Urbanism." He will then lead his stunned schoolmates past his own name in big letters on the façade.
The David Brower Center, under the summit gardens of its photovoltaic roof, will incorporate the greenest of green architecture. On the ground floor will be earth-friendly retailers, an art gallery, a 175-seat auditorium with state-of-the-art media equipment, and a restaurant designed in consultation with chef Alice Waters, founding genius of Chez Panisse, who will work up a menu of affordable organic food harvested from local farms. On the three floors above will be office and conference space for a number of activist environmental and social-justice nonprofit organizations, with Earth Island Institute, the California League of Conservation Voters, and the Center for Ecoliteracy as charter tenants. The hope is for cross-pollination. Here, under one roof, students, environmental activists, green businesspeople, advocates for social justice, and visitors from around the world will meet, break bread, and exchange ideas, all toward the not-so-modest goals of a sustainable society and planetary salvation. The Brower Center, if all goes according to plan, will be a hub for progressive activism internationally and a home for the environmental movement for the twenty-first century.
If there is a feng shui of historical rectitude, then that force is strong at the site. The location next to the University is auspicious and right, given the coevolution of Brower, the University, and the environmental cause. The building will stand eight blocks from the Carleton Street house where my father was born and five blocks from the Haste Street house where he grew up. It will be midway between two of his alma maters -- Berkeley High and the University of California -- and a block south of the offices of UC Press on Oxford Street, where my father and mother met as editors. (My siblings and I have a great fondness for the Press; we owe it our very existence.) In his editor period, my father, as he repaired the danglers, clipped the redundancies, and pruned the jargon of manuscripts submitted by an assortment of Berkeley scholars, was simultaneously picking their brains. In 1952, when he left the Press to become the first executive director of the Sierra Club, those edited professors, and many of their Berkeley colleagues, became the core of his brain trust. Starker Leopold, the zoologist and author of the epochal Leopold Report on wildlife in the national parks. Starker's brother Luna Leopold, the hydrologist who provided figures and formulae on stream aggradation that my father employed to defeat dams proposed for the Grand Canyon. Robert Stebbins, the herpetologist and scientific illustrator who taught my father what he needed to know about reptiles, amphibians, and desert conservation. Daniel Luten, the geographer who was his advisor on population. Carl Koford, the field naturalist who became the world's foremost student of the California condor. The biologists Frank Pitelka and Alden Miller, the physicists John Gofman and John Holdren, and many more. The University even provided a few bêtes noirs, misguided scholars of mining and forestry who served my old man as foils.
There was nothing really new in this collaboration. In 1870, when the University was in its infancy, geology professor Joseph LeConte led his University Excursion Party to the High Sierra, guided by John Muir -- a campfire friendship that endured and led in 1892 to the formation of the Sierra Club, co-founded by LeConte, his son Little Joe, and Muir. And the Sierra Club was just the beginning. In the intellectual sphere of influence of the University -- germinating in the shelter of that parent tree -- has sprung up a large part of the environmental movement. Nowhere has the soil been more fertile for good environmental ideas and organizations.
Opponents of the Brower Center -- jihadi bicyclists enraged by the automobile and resentful of the underground parking that the city has required; dissers of the affordable-housing component that will adjoin the center; fiscal conservatives worried about the cost to the city -- have argued for some other site, but the building's supporters have been resolute in their insistence on this one.
All universities have their magnetic fields, but the field around Berkeley is particularly strong -- a Saturn or Jupiter of academic institutions. The ideal spot for the new center is right here, tucked in close orbit outside Edwards Field, just beyond the outermost rings of the track's oval. The intellectual energy of the University of California, crackling and contrarian, will discharge point-blank toward its satellite institution, feeding the environmental movement as it has before, and vice versa, with energetic discharges back in the other direction. For those of us who are David Brower's family, disciples, and former colleagues, this commemoration in stone and glass of his pioneering work is enormously gratifying. Everyone else, we hope, will see the building as a working monument to past synergy between environmentalism and the University, and a promise of more to come.
Kenneth Brower's last article for California, "Disturbing Yosemite," was the cover story in May/June

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Mindless regurgitation of the Bush doctrine Bear

At least partly because of Gore, every country in the world now has a global warming policy or agenda, not to please Gore, or to make Gore rich, but to address a problem that is physically making itself known around this planet by the melting of the polar ice and dramatically warmer weather. The polar ice is melting to an extent that is unknown in our history. Global warming is happening. A majority of meteorological scientists think that the billions of tons of CO2 we are putting into the atmosphere every year has something to do with it.

by CDNBear
I'm not surprised I would find you defending the morally bankrupt juan.
And I'm never surprised that you argue on a subject you know nothing about.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I think environmental problems are the right's equivalent to the war in Iraq for the left. They hate the politician so much that they don't really care much about a solution to the problem.

stevek

Mar 9, 2007
Solution to what problem? The problem is that the sun (according to reports in papers last week) has warmed up not only the rest of the planets in the solar system but ours as well?

This warming has increased the amount of CO2 in our atmosphere since the ocean is the largest source of CO2 and when warmed released more of it. Since the ocean covers 2/3 of the surface of the earth and holds the vast majority of the CO2; can you really still believe that man's influence is any moe than a frictional influence on this warming?

Check out some politically inconvenient science;

http://friendsofscience.org/index.php

Check out the correlation of sunspot activity and temperature anomolies. Compare this with the CO2 levels and judge which two lines foloow each other.

Gore and Suzuki - Prophets for Profit

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Solution to what problem? The problem is that the sun (according to reports in papers last week) has warmed up not only the rest of the planets in the solar system but ours as well?

This warming has increased the amount of CO2 in our atmosphere since the ocean is the largest source of CO2 and when warmed released more of it. Since the ocean covers 2/3 of the surface of the earth and holds the vast majority of the CO2; can you really still believe that man's influence is any moe than a frictional influence on this warming?

Check out some politically inconvenient science;

http://friendsofscience.org/index.php

Check out the correlation of sunspot activity and temperature anomolies. Compare this with the CO2 levels and judge which two lines foloow each other.

Gore and Suzuki - Prophets for Profit

The sun, the last bastion of the deniers, with no concrete proof yet.
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/s...il-company-funded-naysayers-2.html#post804862
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/s...-oil-company-funded-naysayers.html#post803716

Correlation is so weak as to be statistically irrelevant. The studies which show strong correlation have a) mathematical errors and b) faulty methodology.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Stevek and Tonington

The key to the controversy lies in the minds and hearts of the scientific community - without their work and confirmation of the reality of this phenomenon and whether it is entirely man made and can be mitigated by man's changing lifestyles - why is everyone arguing?

Nobody wants Global Warming - nobody wants the environment where one will have to wear face masks in order to venture outside a fully air conditioned home so breathing can continue to live.

We all want healthy lives. This is not an argument and not even much of a debate.

Small pockets of people can make a difference in caring for their community. It's a start and until the science of cause can be determined as final, we merely keep creating these pontificating gods who run around making a living off creating anxiety and anger.

This isn't positive work of a movement to save mankind! This is flawed egoism and in the case of AlBore - one very disappointed man trying to find a place in his world where he can become some kind of a leader or savior or whatever his personal megalomaniac voices inside tell him.

Too much money, too much demanding 'a quick fix' and not letting the people who can find out the answers have their space and time and get it right.....

It isn't a case here of who is right or wrong... it is a case of let's get it done the right way.

Public relations never solved a damn thing in our world. Celebrities have taken over the cause to keep their names in the public arena... and it hasn't done diddly for anyone. Only delayed getting at the truth. The truth rests with the scientific community.