selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
General regrets remarks on homosexuality

Pace says he focused too much on his own 'moral views,' won't apologize

NBC VIDEO

Pace won’t apologize for anti-gay comments
March 13: Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Peter Pace issues a statement on his anti-gay comments, saying he should have focused more on military policy and less on his personal views. NBC's Patty Culhane reports.
MSNBC

var cssList = new Array();getCSS("3053751") Related Stories
| What's this?
Top US general calls homosexuality immoral-report
Anglicans Vote on Gay and Lesbian Issues
Italy government split by gay rights divide
Gay vets challenge ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633094148310530000');

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon's top general expressed regret Tuesday that he called homosexuality immoral, a remark that drew a harsh condemnation from members of Congress and gay advocacy groups.
In a newspaper interview Monday, Marine Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, had likened homosexual acts to adultery and said the military should not condone it by allowing gays to serve openly in the armed forces.
In an interview with the Chicago Tribune, Pace was asked about the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that allows gays and lesbians to serve if they keep their sexual orientation private and don't engage in homosexual acts.

Pace said he supports the policy, which became law in 1994 and prohibits commanders from asking about a person's sexual orientation.
"I believe that homosexual acts between individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts," Pace said in the audio recording of the interview posted on the Tribune's Web site. "I do not believe that the armed forces of the United States are well served by a saying through our policies that it's OK to be immoral in any way."
Personal opinion
In a statement Tuesday, he said he should have focused more in the interview on the Defense Department policy about gays — and "less on my personal moral views."
He did not offer an apology, something that had been demanded by gay rights groups.
Pace's senior staff members said earlier that the general was expressing his personal opinion and did not intend to apologize. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to speak on the record.
On its Web site, the advocacy group Servicemembers Legal Defense Network called Pace's comments “outrageous, insensitive and disrespectful to the 65,000 lesbian and gay troops now serving in our armed forces.”
The group, which has represented some of the thousands dismissed from the military for their sexual orientation, demanded an apology.
Some lawmakers object
Others quickly expressed their feelings. In a written statement, Sen. John Warner, the former chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, expressed dissatisfaction with Pace's comments. "I respectfully but strongly disagree with the chairman's view that homosexuality is immoral," Warner's statement said.
Later Tuesday, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said she was “disappointed in the moral judgment” in Pace's comments.
Rep. Martin Meehan, who has introduced legislation to repeal the current policy, also criticized Pace's comments.
"General Pace's statements aren't in line with either the majority of the public or the military," said the Massachusetts Democrat. "He needs to recognize that support for overturning (the policy) is strong and growing" and that the military is "turning away good troops to enforce a costly policy of discrimination."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17590518/

Why does this man still have his commission?????!!!!!!

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I still prefer the "Don't ask, don't tell" system.

We don't ask you your orientation, and you don't tell us, no harm to you.

See, the military is predominantly MALE, and do you think gay men, like hetrosexual men, are not going to have trouble concentrating on their mission.

Especially when they have hot sweaty men around them, and their is situations that could happen...

military doesn't need that...

Pace is free to believe what he want, but he is basically saying all gay people are immoral.

Now I believe any sex outside of a marriage between a man and woman is a sin, I believe a guy who has sex with another guy: sin.

But as our own Christian Bible say: "thou shalt not judge"

As Christians, we let God, and God alone, judge our sins, it is not up to us to judge others sins.

And General Pace, was wrong in his comments.

This coming from a Christian snfu... yeah we see sex outside of marriage (between 1 man and 1 woman) as a sin, but we don't believe in judging others sins...

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I still prefer the "Don't ask, don't tell" system.

We don't ask you your orientation, and you don't tell us, no harm to you.

See, the military is predominantly MALE, and do you think gay men, like hetrosexual men, are not going to have trouble concentrating on their mission.

Especially when they have hot sweaty men around them, and their is situations that could happen...

military doesn't need that...

You know thats a funny opinion to talk about on a Canadian content forum. Gays serve in our military, as do women. From my own experience, you just don't think of em that way , especially the really tough as nails warrior pigs (said with love ladies :) ). It just isn't the case.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
The general is entitled to his views. I'm sure the heterosexual lobby groups would agree. By the way, are there any?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
The general is entitled to his views. I'm sure the heterosexual lobby groups would agree. By the way, are there any?

No he is not......he is a piece of meat that the government owns and is not intitled to an oppinion until the day he retires or dies......Im NOT joking. Thats the rules.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Self, I guess he's owned. Just like Canuckers. Compelled to the day they die to pay homage to the PC priestesses. Pity.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
official US military doctrine states homosexuality is conduct unbecoming. He has to enforce such a thing.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
How did the dog get so big and bushy a tail? Gays make up, according to whom you reference- 3 to 6 % of the pop - and here they are again attempting to set key public policy. Tail wags the dog. Ad infinitum.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
official US military doctrine states homosexuality is conduct unbecoming. He has to enforce such a thing.

Thats NOT what I said........I said his OPINIONS should NEVER have been aired. In his own statement he said it was his moral oppinin.......HE has NO opinion! His butt and opinion is that of the United States Military and he needs to be brought up on charges.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I think everyone should be monitored and up on charges. At least once a fortnight. We could become as litigious as marmots. We need to put every single soul under the gun. And exercise the trigger.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The homosexual/lesbian community can pull triggers and torch villages just as well as any heterosexual. When you can't fill rosters you don't dismiss ten percent of the potential killers.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
How did the dog get so big and bushy a tail? Gays make up, according to whom you reference- 3 to 6 % of the pop - and here they are again attempting to set key public policy. Tail wags the dog. Ad infinitum.

the "gays" are attempting to alter the public policies relating to themselves, same as anyone. The tail actually does wag parts of the dog, but in relation to the relative masses of the dog and the tail.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
How was his opinion different than the military's policy? I don't get it. If the military thought homosexuality wasn't imoral, they would allow them to serve openly.

I also don't believe that military members are forbidden from ever expressing an opinion. Remember the soldier who said he wanted Rumsfeld to resign? I didn't hear about him being charged with anything.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
How was his opinion different than the military's policy? I don't get it. If the military thought homosexuality wasn't imoral, they would allow them to serve openly.

I also don't believe that military members are forbidden from ever expressing an opinion. Remember the soldier who said he wanted Rumsfeld to resign? I didn't hear about him being charged with anything.

The policy of the US Military is dont ask dont tell........there is NO moral conotation put to that......period. This is a General who was stating HIS opinion on military policy........THATS a nono.........why isnt he up on charges?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't know, I could be wrong but to me this is smacking of separation between church and state. What other reason could one have for thinking it's immoral? Teachers can't posit their religious moral view to students because they represent the state while they are working.

Maybe the separation is only valid as far as making laws, we know the American President has made many references to God. Just seems weird that a teacher can't expose their views and top ranking leaders can.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
In the oppinion of this Priestess, he needs to shut his mouth and keep his oppinions to his homophobic self.

Yeah, I feel the same, he can have his personal opinion, as we all have, but he should keep it to
himself, especially in his line of work. I do agree with, the "don't ask, don't tell" rule, as I think
it's too sensitive to "open" up within the military. I can just imagine some of the stories, they
could tell, of their experiences, as gay persons, in the military.
So then, if he isn't allowed an opinion, in his position, I wonder what will happen to him as a result of
his statement.

Last edited:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I don't know, I could be wrong but to me this is smacking of separation between church and state. What other reason could one have for thinking it's immoral? Teachers can't posit their religious moral view to students because they represent the state while they are working.

Maybe the separation is only valid as far as making laws, we know the American President has made many references to God. Just seems weird that a teacher can't expose their views and top ranking leaders can.

it's because some people still listen to teachers :lol: