Republican Attack Ad Offends Canada

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/27/us/politics/27canada.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

TORONTO, Oct. 26 — A Republican television commercial that has drawn criticism in the United States has also become a political and diplomatic issue in Canada.

“Canada can take care of North Korea. They’re not busy,” says an actor in the campaign advertisement, against Representative Harold E. Ford Jr., a Democratic candidate for the Senate in Tennessee.

Whatever its intent, the aside is seen in Canada as a suggestion that the country is a free rider when it comes to global security. While Canada did not participate in the invasion of Iraq, it has posted a large portion of its army in Afghanistan as part of NATO forces since 2002. On Wednesday, Michael Wilson, Canada’s ambassador to the United States, spoke with an official at the White House, whom the Canadian government declined to name, to officially express Canada’s displeasure.

The perceived slight against Canada comes at an awkward time for its minority Conservative government. The recent deaths of Canadian soldiers have prompted criticism of the government’s decision in September to increase its deployment by 500 troops to 2,500.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who increased military spending this year, has made developing close relations with the Bush administration a priority.

In the House of Commons on Wednesday, Omar Alghabra, a Liberal member from suburban Toronto, cited the Republican advertisement and asked, “Is this what Canadians should be expecting as the outcome of cozying up to Mr. Bush by the prime minister and his Conservatives?”

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
well there is already a thread for this item....

but I'll post the same response here.

We spent (the liberals) years bashing the U.S. calling them Morons etc etc...well we always wanted to be seen by the U.S...now we are...They have heard us and now firing back.

We have a change of government and view towards the U.S. but after years of them hearing how we hate them, how dumb they are, etc etc blah blah blah....it will take years of action to get a good relationship back in order..That is unless Bobby Rae gets in..OMG help us all!!

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

Where is the thread? I looked before I posted and now and can't find it.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006

but I'll post the same response here.

We spent (the liberals) years bashing the U.S. calling them Morons etc etc...well we always wanted to be seen by the U.S...now we are...They have heard us and now firing back.

We have a change of government and view towards the U.S. but after years of them hearing how we hate them, how dumb they are, etc etc blah blah blah....it will take years of action to get a good relationship back in order..That is unless Bobby Rae gets in..OMG help us all!!

The difference is that the Yanks did it in paid for political ads...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
When does the pay period stop for politicians? Are they ever "off the clock"? Whats wrong with a little criticism?

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Canada (the Liberals) have not been involuved in a "little" crit...calling another countries leader a moron..can never get you far!! Before you jump on me I think Bush is a moron....actually so do 75 million Americans but lashing out as the government of a country is just plain stupid.

It was only to get votes..like todays calling Quebec a nation...pure vote getting....who cares about tomorrow if we get the votes today...great vision!! duh

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
God I hope we don't have an election any time soon, I can't take anymore of the propaganda and hoopla from either side. It gags me. It reminds me of my four year old nieces, she's not your Mother she our Nanny yes she is your Nanny but she's my mother. No she's not, now their screaming at me, they demand I call her Nanny instead of Mom. I don't and these little spoiled power trippers freak, it's kinda fun but it starts to wear on my nerves.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I wasn't jumping on you. Just asking some simple questions. The little criticism I referred to goes both ways. Anyone with half a brain who really cares can find the truth, or someones version of it easilly. Far too many people have forgotten that not everything on TV is true, or for that matter the internet.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hotshot - witty comeback.....

The difference is that the Yanks did it in paid for political ads...

Hahaha.....so you think an off the cuff - ad lib by a politician ie: Carolyn Parrish was ok but a "paid political ad" was out of bounds?

In your world of rational thought - how does this compute please tell us.

We should be bored with this topic by now yes?

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Hotshot - witty comeback.....

Hahaha.....so you think an off the cuff - ad lib by a politician ie: Carolyn Parrish was ok but a "paid political ad" was out of bounds?

In your world of rational thought - how does this compute please tell us.

We should be bored with this topic by now yes?

yywaahnnnn huh...err..are we still talking BOUT THAT...I'll just roll over and go back to sleep now