This is why I like Republicans

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
We are disillusioned, but not to the point of agreeing with the Democrats.
We wanted our party and its leaders to do better.

They didn't.

We have no hope for the Democrats either.

S.O.S.

Conservative voters likely to stay home

By Ralph Z. Hallow
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published October 19, 2006

The Republican Party can stave off defeat with a strong turnout on Nov. 7, party leaders are telling the faithful -- but they are finding it tough to sell that message to some disillusioned conservative voters.

"The message hasn't gotten across because a lot of people are sick and tired of thinking the only reason for going to the polls is to vote for the Republicans because they are lesser of two evils," said Tom McClusky, vice president for government affairs at</B> the Family Research Council (FRC), a leading social conservative group.

"Conservatives aren't motivated to come out, is what I'm finding," said conservative campaign consultant Rick Shaftan, who is based in Sparta, N.J. "They see no reason to re-elect the people who are in office."
A top Republican pollster confidentially echoed those sentiments.

"There are very definitely trouble signs in many states of what we call the 'LRs' -- the lethargic Republicans," said the pollster, who agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity. "They are unhappy with the president and have little love lost for Congress."

There's little danger that such voters would switch to the Democrats, but "the real problem is that they won't vote at all," the pollster said.

With Election Day less than three weeks away, however, efforts to mobilize conservative voters are intensifying.
Top Republicans -- including President Bush, his chief strategist Karl Rove, Vice President Dick Cheney and Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman -- have been meeting with conservative activists, columnists and broadcasters, emphasizing the importance of this midterm election. That message has rippled out via newspapers, magazines, TV, radio and the Internet.

An e-mail sent this week by the conservative group GOPUSA.com carried the subject line, "Don't you dare not vote," and featured a column by veteran activist Doug Patton appealing to Republican voters' patriotism.

"As you contemplate how to express your frustration with Republican leaders who may have mishandled the power we have entrusted to them," Mr. Patton wrote, "consider how you would explain your apathy to the 1.2 million brave men who have given their lives in America's wars over the last 230 years."

Meanwhile, FRC President Tony Perkins sent an e-mail this week asking supporters to sign a "values voter" pledge. The e-mail warned that "too many elective officeholders are content to downplay social issues," but said "officials need to hear from us, again and again, that elections are about values first -- moral and social norms."
Many Republicans are worried that the sex scandal surrounding former Rep. Mark Foley of Florida will depress turnout among religious conservatives who have been staunchly loyal to the Republican Party.

"Until the Foley scandal broke, there wasn't even a mathematical possibility of a Democratic takeover of either body of Congress," South Dakota-based campaign consultant Paul Erickson said. "But Foley introduced a concrete voting-base suppression factor that is immeasurable until election night."

To explain the disaffection of some conservative voters, Mr. Shaftan cited the national party's assistance to liberal Republican Sen. Lincoln Chafee against conservative challenger Stephen Laffey in last month's Rhode Island primary.
"The Republican leadership spent $1 million on helping Chafee, and then it wonders why conservatives don't think they're wanted in this party," Mr. Shaftan said. "They think the leadership wants them to come out every year, shine your shoes, then go sit in the back of the bus, take their Bibles and read them and shut up."

Republican media consultant Craig Shirley said the party's national leadership appears to be trying to scare disaffected voters to the polls by arguing that Republicans aren't as bad as the Democrats.

"It would be nice if the national party started talking about what we are for ... instead of simply trashing the left," Mr. Shirley said. "We used to be proud of our ideas about less government and more freedom."
In New Jersey, Mr. Shaftan said polling shows a similar attitude among rank-and-file voters.

"The left is ready for war, but our people say [Republicans in Congress] need to be taught a lesson," Mr. Shaftan said. "Lots of our base are not going to come out and vote."

Such discouragement has also affected many of the religious voters who were widely credited with pushing Mr. Bush to victory two years ago, Mr. Perkins said.

"There is no question that the level of enthusiasm that carried voters into the 2004 election is much diminished, however, the core of what has been described as 'values voters' will vote," the FRC president said, but warned, "The GOP should not count their votes before they are cast."

It may already be too late to reach many conservative voters, said one alumnus of the 1994 "Republican Revolution" that swept the party to its first House majority in 40 years.

"I sense that conservatives have largely already tuned out to the coming elections, after six years of burgeoning federal spending and inaction on key issues, such as immigration," said former Georgia Rep. Bob Barr.
"The Republican Party has become the party of the government status quo," he said, "and conservatives see no reason to reward it with their votes."

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Watching US politics, is like watching a b-serie movie, with very bad actors,

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
"I sense that conservatives have largely already tuned out to the coming elections, after six years of burgeoning federal spending and inaction on key issues, such as immigration," said former Georgia Rep. Bob Barr.

"The Republican Party has become the party of the government status quo," he said, "and conservatives see no reason to reward it with their votes."

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
JimMoyer

Has the Republican Party always been split as I see them now? The rift between the Extremist Evangelicals and the Moderates?

That group seems to be splintering into rhetorical nonsense and if a person wanted to vote Republican what would they be committing to?

I still hate to see people ignore their right to vote for any reason - having waited so long for my own to be cast. Perhaps everyone should have to make a decision to "join" the country into which they were born and have to go through the procedure of commitment. I would think the privilege of voting
would be that traditional promise.

We take our "rights" too lightly in democracy - thinking we are to the manor born instead of making a decision where we place our duties and responsibilities to keep our land operating at its best.

Last edited:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
"The message hasn't gotten across because a lot of people are sick and tired of thinking the only reason for going to the polls is to vote for the Republicans because they are lesser of two evils," said Tom McClusky, vice president for government affairs at</B> the Family Research Council (FRC), a leading social conservative group.

The above is often used as a strong reason for non-participation.

"As you contemplate how to express your frustration with Republican leaders who may have mishandled the power we have entrusted to them," Mr. Patton wrote, "consider how you would explain your apathy to the 1.2 million brave men who have given their lives in America's wars over the last 230 years."

The above point is similar to yours, Curiosity.

But in response to your post, voter apathy sometimes is a good sign.

It means people are able to live their lives without too much interference to make them care
enough to be involved in the illusionary world of politics, preferring instead to pay attention
to something they can impact: family, jobs.

You can make the strong case politics impacts us all.

Yet many in western democratic countries can safely have productive lives without having
much knowledge of the politics.

In a counter-intuitive way it is an indicator of the greatest amount of freedom
and non-interference.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

The above is often used as a strong reason for non-participation.

The above point is similar to yours, Curiosity.

But in response to your post, voter apathy sometimes is a good sign.

It means people are able to live their lives without too much interference to make them care
enough to be involved in the illusionary world of politics, preferring instead to pay attention

Yet many in western democratic countries can safely have productive lives without having

and non-interference.

Thank you Jim

I'm gonna print that one to hang on my office wall....elections confuse me .... and am bombarded by the biased newspapers and television channels....and if I show any interest in finding out things I am being recruited by both parties. I hope my mind is more secure before I am able to vote.

Johnny..... love your optimism....it is refreshing.... the message of politics to the voters should be positive ones not crap like Mother Sheehan wallows in.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Voter Apathy

Voter apathy has its pros and cons.

Here's one pro:
------------------------------------

and non-interference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which makes me wonder about the value and efficacy of Australia requiring 100 percent
participation on pain of a mailed fine notice.

Last edited:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
So... as I was pontificating about the pros of voter apathy in the last post, I come round about
to why again I like Republicans. They vote.

That's the demographic. Most Democratic leaning registered voters don't vote.

So when you see those polls, lend a jaundiced eye to their predictions if the poll takes
the heart beat of registered voters as opposed to "likely voters."

Therein lies the key.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
In my own lowly circle of those whose affiliation I know.....

They spend much time pre-election giving their views their dislikes their hatred, etc. expounding on how they would fix the system which has long been neglected blah blah....

After the elections are done and counted I do a simple poll... "So did you vote" ( yesterday - last Tuesday - or however I can work in the question...)? Often they have as many excuses for not doing the deed as they did for getting angry over the current candidate etc.

The no votes are usually announced democrats Jim....they love the passion and drama of the play but don't like to have to get up and go to the theatre or licking the stamp to mail in their preference.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Curiosity: “I still hate to see people ignore their right to vote for any reason - having waited so long for my own to be cast. Perhaps everyone should have to make a decision to "join" the country into which they were born and have to go through the procedure of commitment. I would think the privilege of voting would be that traditional promise.

I understand and appreciate your perspective with respect to the importance of voting as a responsibility to the community of which you are a member. I believe that if we examine the historical record in this matter, governments in both the United States and Canada have been given authority to govern by significantly less than a majority of eligible voters.

I’m afraid I draw the line at any hint of a pledge of allegiance however.

Requiring everyone to sign a de-jure “social contract” formalizing their commitment to participate in electoral process as voter sounds more to me like relinquishing a right to say that you don’t wish to vote. If one’s being born into a particular society requires formalizing the relationship between society and that individual with a contract (swearing an oath is a contract) a good many questions arise with respect to what promises this same society is making to that individual. I’d like to hear more about this exchange….

If society requires that the individual contract with this society, is the failure or decision not to swear this oath reasonable grounds for consequences other than that this person is not permitted by this society to cast a vote in any election held in this nation?

Will the individual be drafted for military service if such measures are deemed appropriate at some later time by this society? Will this person have to report for induction regardless of the fact that he or she may have very good reasons for not wishing to participate in the scheduled events!

When the government mismanages (and mismanagement isn’t the discreet purview or the exclusive bailiwick of any particular “party”) so that my pension disappears and my healthcare premiums over a lifetime are both drivelled away and set aside for other purposes that includes bombing the bejeepers out of a bunch of Afghanis or someone else….

Would you agree that it much easier to punish the individual for his/her apolitical stance than it is to hold a government accountable for its misdeeds?