Further proof that America's Republic is less democratic than Britain's Monarchy

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is this proof that America's Republic is less democratic than Britain's Constitutional Monarchy?

In Britain, anyone can mock the Head of State - the Monarch - without officials knocking on your door and interrogating you. We have free speech.

But in the US, it seems that you can't mock the President without getting into trouble from officials who come round to your home -

17 October 2006

The Mirror

'KILL BUSH' GIRL GRILLED BY ANTI-TERROR COPS

By Ryan Parry Us Correspondent

A GIRL of 14 was dragged out of her biology class by Secret Service agents for writing "Kill Bush" on her website.

Julia Wilson's internet page, called "So Bush is an idiot but hey what else is new?", infuriated security experts.

She also posted the words "Kill Bush" and ran a cartoon of a knife stabbing the hand of the president.
Two federal agents went searching for Julia at her home before finding the teenager at school.

After pulling her out of class, they subjected her to a gruelling 20-minute interview.

Julia explained: "I told them I just really don't agree with Bush's politics. I do not have any plans of harming Bush in any way.

"I am very peaceful. I just don't like Bush."

She said the agents warned her she could be locked up for making the threat.

And they quizzed her about her father's job, her email address and social security number. She added: "They yelled at me a lot. They were unnecessarily mean."

When the agents first arrived at Julia's home in Sacramento, California, her mother Kirstie sent a text telling her to come home from McClatchy High School.

Julia replied by text: "Are you serious!?!? Oh my God. Am I in a lot of trouble?"

Her mum said: "She was in molecular biology, and I said I really didn't want to take her out of class for this. But I said I'd make sure she came right home from school."

She asked the Secret Service to come back in an hour.

But the agents would not wait for her to return and went to find her.

Kirstie said Julia was wrong to post her rant on the My-Space website, but was unhappy she was quizzed without an adult present.

Father Jim Moose (LOL!) added: "I don't condone what she did, but it all seems a little over the top.

"You would think they could determine that she is not a credible threat."

Ann Brick (LOL!), a civil liberties lawyer, said Julia's post did not sound like a "true threat".

She added: "The courts have to distinguish between political rhetoric and hyperbole and a real threat."

Peter Scheer, of the California First Amendment Coalition, said: "The threshold that brings agents in has lowered. It's a cautionary tale for children on MySpace that putting something on it like 'Kill the President' is not the same as saying it on email or over the telephone.

"The Government is not systematically listening to all phone calls or going through emails, but it probably does search the internet."

Secret Service spokesman Eric Zahren refused to comment on the incident.

r.parry@mirror.co.uk
mirror.co.uk

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Is this proof that America's Republic is less democratic than Britain's Constitutional Monarchy?

In Britain, anyone can mock the Head of State - the Monarch - without officials knocking on your door and interrogating you. We have free speech.

But in the US, it seems that you can't mock the President without getting into trouble from officials who come round to your home -

A threat isn't mocking.

And that's a rather funny comment coming from someone that lives in a country with blasphemy laws against Christianity.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Well, we are in the end a christian country ITN, like it or not....besides, I'm shocked you don't, what with all the christian fanatics in your country, and it's motto "in god we trust"

Reactions: Andem

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ya, I know your a christian country, Anglican-Christian to be exact. Catholics (2nd largest religion in the UK) are prohibited from becoming heirs to the throne. So your reasoning for the blasphemy laws is because you're a Chrisitan country? Interesting. Sounds much like the Middle East. No can say anything against Allah or the prophet.

I may have fanatic christian fundamentalists in my country, but they are not a protected group under the law, like yours truly. You know about group rights, right? Favoring one group over another at the expense of the individual? I'm sure you do.

What you need Daz is to not superficially examine issues. "In God We Trust" is not analogous to "Defender of the Faith", it is a Civil War reaction to heightened religious sentiment.

The claim Blackleaf made (and I believe you did also in another thread) is that you feel more free in the UK than in the US. We're talking about the UK where PC has run amok. You yourself has made these claims in the past in other threads.

So it boggles my mind you make this claim. Because it's illegal to make a threat towards the POTUS? He has no special privelege, it is illegal to make a threat against anyone, period. So, go on. Let's see what you're going to dig up now.