Excuse me? What did Day say?

GWiz

Nov 3, 2004
Then, When and NOW!
Excuse me?

When did Canada lose it's sovereignty and become the United States' 51st state?

U.S. investigations on Canadian soil done within the law: Day

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day acknowledged Thursday that U.S. agents conduct investigations in Canada but said all are done according to Canadian law.
Day was responding to a report regarding an internal FBI audit that shows U.S. agents are carrying out investigations without the approval of the Canadian government.
It says the FBI has given agents in its Buffalo field office clearance to conduct "routine investigations" up to 50 miles into Canadian territory.

When asked about the report during question period, Day said Canadian security forces work with Canada's allies, including the U.S, and have agreements in terms of information sharing.

"We have teams that are designated going back and forth across the border and sometimes it is farther than 50 miles or 50 kilometres," Day said.
"I can assure you that everything that is done on Canadian soil in relation to security and safety investigations are done in accordance with our law."

The most recent audit by the Federal Bureau of Investigation's inspector general, done in 2004, documents the growth of FBI operations in Canada since 2001.
As well as the reference to "routine investigations" inside Canadian territory it also says that about 30 per cent of FBI agents crossing the border to work in Canada failed to get "country clearance." In other words, they didn't get Canada's approval.

The inspector general's report documents 135 unapproved FBI crossings and says there is no sign the crossings will stop.

Canadian officials say they have made no protest to the U.S. government about FBI agents operating without permission on Canadian soil.

According to the report, the FBI has struggled to keep up with its Canadian workload despite opening two new branch offices. It pursues thousands of leads a year in Canada, far more than in any other country except the United States.
As I understand this... The FBI conducting "investigations" on Canadian soil has been occuring since 2001, so I can see why the Liberals are not pursuing this with more vigour...

Harper wants to ensure Canadian Sovereignty in the Arctic while handing over Canadian Sovereignty to the US with acts like this?

Puleeeze... Give me a break... As a Canadian, I'm thoroughly outraged by this...

It also makes me question the REAL circumstances of Arar's deportation to Syria... Are the RCMP caught up in a cover-up, taking "credit" for a US investigation because of this? It's possible, isn't it?

There are so many more questions that should be asked, and strenuously objected to, regarding this matter...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Usually, I don't have a problem with co-operation across the border.......I mean what does "investigation" mean.......asking a few questions, talking to our police forces?

Big deal.

I know a guy who was a cop in Windsor, Ont. for 30 years.

He constantly crossed into Detroit in drug and murder investigations.........

Not a loss of sovereignty at all, unless the FBI starts arresting people.........

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I hope they continue to cross the border when necessary. If it keeps everyone safer,why not? This thread sems to be another feeble attempt to paint the Americans as the thugs of the world.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Homeland Security are in constant touch with Canadian law enforcement on many issues and I doubt they cross into your country indiscriminately

They are checking immigration primarily as many immigrants from other countries are entering the U.S. through Canada so they have to check out the work Canadian authorities have already accomplished.

I don't know what the problem is with this one.... but let's see how far we can ramp it up.

There is one Canadian expert in the field of photographic forensics I believe who is consulted by the U.S. teams on a regular basis. I think she works out of Vancouver RCMP offices but she is on many shows down here because of her international work for both countries.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
G-men coming over the line is one thing. "information sharing" is another. what's Day being so obtuse about?

Care loads about the FBI and everything, but if Canada signed off on their presence here why didn't he just say so?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Canadians are safe. We have had no terrrorist attacks. Americans crossing the border cant make us safer.

Gonzo

I think the message here was the FBI / Homeland Security are crossing the border to investigate people trying to enter the U.S. from Canada - not entering Canada.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Why shouldn't the United States assume that Canadian interests and perhaps even methodology of security operations includes RCMP or CSIS personnel looking into scams and frauds in Washington DC, and having access to the Pentagon to examine evidence relating to international terrorism....I'm sure this whole issue is fully mutual and there really isn't any reason to question our good security management person Stockwell Day...

Just remember the unfortunate leaking of information to American authorities that managed to cost Canadians big time....well no its not settled yet but you can bet if ole Stockwell hadn't been on the job who knows what might have happened to Mr. Arar????

Yeah I buy that.....

NOT

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006

We interrupt your regular Internet babble with an important Social Services Message…..

Members of Parliament, the Department of National Defense, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Canadian Security Intelligence Services would like anyone who believes anything any of the representatives of the aforementioned organizations has to say about anything to please call us immediately!

Thank you for your anticipated silent and dutiful cooperation in keeping Amer…Canada safe for our children…..

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The next innocent abductee taken because he is believed through rumor and whispered exchanges "off the record" may take out a gun and become that terrorist that Stockwell Day and Stephen Harper need.

There's nothing better than gunfights and sirens to impress upon people the need to simply ignore whats going on around them.

More law and shared policing with the United States? ...Stronger military presence in more places??? That's not going to be cheap or even possible there are more NY City police offcers than Canada has soldiers!

But surely we're all prepared to sign off on civil liberties in the name of fighting terrorism...right?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I cannot think of another country in the world I would be happier to have as a neighbour.When the **** hits the fan,we will need the big bad states to pull our ass out of the fire. Of course if Mexico was next door,our weather might improve.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
I hope they continue to cross the border when necessary. If it keeps everyone safer,why not? This thread sems to be another feeble attempt to paint the Americans as the thugs of the world.

Safer from what?

If cia, fbi and all those americans secret services, which most of them have historic-connection to terrorist organisations, go to canada as they please for their so-called investigations, then i admit , there is something to be worry about.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm not worried Logic but then I don't post drivil on Forum Message boards about how much I love Terrorist Organizations, I'd be looking for black vans and men in suits it I were you.

Graciously Yours

Jan 20, 2006
Within Myself
I'm not worried Logic but then I don't post drivil on Forum Message boards about how much I love Terrorist Organizations, I'd be looking for black vans and men in suits it I were you.

With all due respect then, what you are truly saying is that regardless of what you beleive, regardless on what "they" do, it is your own fear you obey. You are freightened of what "they" will do to you, so you will censor yourself.

Or am I missing something?