Star-spangled banner - an English view

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I know, I know, as Canadian's your probably a bit ambivalant to this, but I've just heard Michael Bolton ruining America's ntional anthem, and I couldnt help but think about the English side of the song...

Right, so my ancestors were bombing the shyte out of this particular harbour....demolishing it, so then some bright spark decides to make the biggest flag youve ever seen in your life (and I mean of football match proportions) and stick it out, just so we could see it...all the while some guy with a poetic lick writes a song about it...bases it on an english pub song of course.....

But the thing that got me thinking, was you know, EVERYTIME someone mentions blowing up somthing in america, Britain, her biggest ally, always gets a mention, for example, we're STILL the only ones to blow up the whitehouse and set fire to new york (Al-queda never came close)....now call this smugness (it's not really honest)...but doesnt it irritate you that A. most of America's songs, when not about indians or the wild west, have at least a little something to do with the old redcoats over the pond?...

it would irritate the pish out of me...."ohhh that Bin Laden's blown up another US building....no-ones done that since...ohhh our allies"!!!.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Star-spangled banner

I'm over it honest........

Just thinking of the song dude, just thinking of the song ...see I had to sing my national anthem today "boring as dishwater "god save our gracious queen, long live..blah blah blah"...I bet she gets fed up with it.

that's what got me thinking

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Got you thinking about what? The Star Spangled Banner?

Daz, the US and the British Empire went to war twice, one was a revolution and the other was for the impressment of soldiers and "hijacking" our ships. What do you expect the national anthem to be about? The Fall of the Roman Empire?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

nah, national anthems that had something to do with the british as a people...as opposed to some old woman...come on, it was a bar song before it, I'm just thinking, perhaps we should have something on Waterloo..no, that wouldnt be allowed, not PC enough (wouldnt please the EU), but you see my point (America's national anthem wasnt the only one I was thinking about....but you cant get much out of Mexico, Canada, Nigeria or Ireland's national anthem dude.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Well the monarchy has ruled the UK for centuries, I think it's appropriate.

Besides, today it's an old woman, tomorrow it will be God Save the King, no?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I hope not.....

I think it should be a new one....dunno what though, thats why I was listening to some other ones.....I heard a great one, but I dont think we can call ourselves Chad!!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
did u know "God save the king/queen[delete as inappropriate]" was originally composed as a song called "america"?

nothing makes any sense if u discuss it long enough

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think not said:
:roll:

That was almost 200 years ago, you really need to get over it.

It's a pity you Yanks can't do the same every 4th July.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Blackleaf said:
I think not said:

The germans tell us to "get over it"...where "it" being the systematic murder of nearly 20 million people after 60 years, so I see your point Blackleaf........for a change

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Daz_Hockey said:
Blackleaf said:
I think not said:

The germans tell us to "get over it"...where "it" being the systematic murder of nearly 20 million people after 60 years, so I see your point Blackleaf........for a change

Blackleaf never has a point, he only projects a superiority complex by virtue of being British.

When I say get over it, I mean get over the fact we were the only colony to successfully revolt.

We still love you.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

hehe.....

but if "by virtue of being british" makes you an ass...

I'll emigrate...

I'll get me coat

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

The Germans still don't understand that the Second World War ended only 61 years ago. It's not as if it was ancient history. There are millions of people alive today who fought in it and were children during it. The Germans keep saying "Why do you British always talk about the Second World War and still hate the Germans for it?" So I always think "But the war only ended 60 years ago. Two of my grandparents, who were kids at the time, had to be evacuated from the cities and into the countryside to escape the German bombing. Bomb damage is still visible in some of our towns and cities. After only 60 years the British have a right to still have a hatred and loathing of the Germans."

Reactions: Andem

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Blackleaf never has a point, he only projects a superiority complex by virtue of being British.

When I say get over it, I mean get over the fact we were the only colony to successfully revolt.

What about the Indians? I think they successfully revolted against us.

And of course I have a superiority complex. If you Americans ever conquer a quarter of the world's landmass - including what is now the world's superpower and also a country of one billion people - and a third of its people then we'll allow you to have a superiority complex, too.

The current American superpower is puny compared to what Britain was at the height of its powers.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Blackleaf - you are a hoot! Always tugging at Uncle Sam's sore spots....

In spite of you....I adore your PM Tony Blair.

DazHockey - The Star Mangled Banner

The American National Anthem has been oblitrated, ruined, emasculated by so many artists, I live for the day one will fall over in a faint trying to hit the high notes.....It's enough to start a war over :rolleyes:

The dang song should never be sung by a soloist except a professionally trained classical singer, or unless there is a sturdy choir behind to cover up the "crows"...which in musical lingo is off center hits.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
What about the Indians? I think they successfully revolted against us.

And of course I have a superiority complex. If you Americans ever conquer a quarter of the world's landmass - including what is now the world's superpower and also a country of one billion people - and a third of its people then we'll allow you to have a superiority complex, too.

The current American superpower is puny compared to what Britain was at the height of its powers.

Yes Blackleaf, you guys had the bigger dick. Go stick your head back up your ass now.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mercy sakes alive, I think I've gotta agree with blackleaf!

Hotshot - which part do you agree with?

The bigger dick

or

The British Empire's superiority, of course we have to include the Royals and the extreme poverty not to mention abject slavery was acceptable.....ahem.....

They still believe in that old saw primogeniture.... which is a crock after what I've seen emerge from the loins of Victoria Regina.