Christians only Baseball

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Christians-Only Baseball?

By Dave Zirin, TheNation.com. Posted June 7, 2006.

The Colorado Rockies recruit Christian players and claim God is at work on their game. Something's gone rotten on the diamond.

In Colorado, there stands a holy shrine called Coors Field. On this site, named for the holiest of beers, a team plays that has been chosen by Jesus Christ himself to play .500 baseball in the National League West. And if you don't believe me, just ask the manager, the general manager and the team's owner.

In a remarkable article from USA Today last week, the Colorado Rockies went public with the news that the organization has been explicitly looking for players with "character." And according to the Tribe of Coors, "character" means accepting Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior. "We're nervous, to be honest with you," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "It's the first time we ever talked about these issues publicly. The last thing we want to do is offend anyone because of our beliefs." When people are nervous that they will offend you with their beliefs, it's usually because their beliefs are offensive.

As Rockies chairman and CEO Charlie Monfort said, "We had to go to hell and back to know where the Holy Grail is. We went through a tough time and took a lot of arrows."

Club president Keli McGregor chimed in, "Who knows where we go from here? The ability to handle success will be a big part of the story, too. [Note to McGregor: You're in fourth place.] There will be distractions. There will be things that can change people. But we truly do have something going on here. And [God's] using us in a powerful way."

Well, someone is using somebody, but it ain't God. San Francisco Giants first basemwww.alternet.org/story/37193/

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Well I live in Denver and based on their gameplay as of late...I'd say God is too occupied with the pleadings of basketball fans to bother with the Rockies at the moment

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Are these people insane? I can't believe this is hapenning in a supposedly civilized country.

Do I have to list all the christians of 'good character' in this country? Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, W, etc, etc

This is retarded. I'm so pissed I can barely type.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I love baseball. I admit it but have some nutjobs say that it has all to do with Christianity and some ultimate lord for their winning ways which isn't really that good right now is stupid.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Christians only Baseb

We normal ordinary natural people should get used to the New Christian Inquisition cuzz you're either with them or against them, and they play for eternity. :)

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Problem here?? Problem here??

Don't you see racism could abound in this environment with some shit about God and only Christianity is giving us a good record. Do they have workers who are off a different religion or colour, if they only have two black players on their roster??

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Jersay said:
Problem here?? Problem here??

Don't you see racism could abound in this environment with some shit about God and only Christianity is giving us a good record. Do they have workers who are off a different religion or colour, if they only have two black players on their roster??

More "drunk tank" material.

Next poster please.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Re: RE: Christians only Baseball

Jay said:
WT hell is the problem here?

Dig your head out of your bible and join the real world. To say that actively seeking christians because they want to have people of good character is asinine. The jails here are filled with 'good christians' who have robbed, beat, shot and raped each other.

To insinuate that people who are not christian don't have as good a character is just stupid. This is the 21st century, not the dark ages.

If this is ok with you fine, but to not acknowledge that other people might not think this is a very good idea is naive.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

thecdn said:
Dig your head out of your bible and join the real world.

I don't appreciate the comment, but I won't answer in kind.... today.

thecdn said:
To say that actively seeking christians because they want to have people of good character is asinine. The jails here are filled with 'good christians' who have robbed, beat, shot and raped each other.

To insinuate that people who are not christian don't have as good a character is just stupid. This is the 21st century, not the dark ages.

If this is ok with you fine, but to not acknowledge that other people might not think this is a very good idea is naive.

The jails are also full to the brim with murdering atheists....BFD

The real problem here is you hate Christians and you can't stand the fact that none of this is any of your business, and you would love to put an end to it.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL

Jay said:

Ooooooh. But isn't that to be expected? I mean, we have no morals and all. What with doing good because it's the right thing to do - not out of fear of hell or reward of heaven.

And all that good christian living means there should be a lower percentage of christians in jail than in the general population. But alas, tis not so....

I don't hate all xians, just the sanctimonious, holier than thou types who think they are better than other people because they believe in things that don't exist.

You know the type....

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I have to agree with thecdn, I dislike Christians that think they are better then someone else. I really don't like anyone, Muslim included that think they are better then somone else.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

thecdn said:
Jay said:

Ooooooh. But isn't that to be expected? I mean, we have no morals and all. What with doing good because it's the right thing to do - not out of fear of hell or reward of heaven.

And all that good christian living means there should be a lower percentage of christians in jail than in the general population. But alas, tis not so....

I don't hate all xians, just the sanctimonious, holier than thou types who think they are better than other people because they believe in things that don't exist.

You know the type....

If you mean "you know the type" by suggesting I'm one of them, then your wrong...other wise, yes I know the type. And I know lots of people from all different ideas who have a holier than thou attitude.

It is my understanding that much of the "Christian" jail population are converts.

I don't believe atheists have no morals etc, some of my best friends are atheists, and they have plenty of morals.

What with doing good because it's the right thing to do - not out of fear of hell or reward of heaven.

I find that to be a very simplistic view of religious people....I find that atheists trying to tell Christians who they are and how they should act to be very strange.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL

Jay said:
I find that atheists trying to tell Christians who they are and how they should act to be very strange.

Fine. Now if some of those christians out there would stop doing the same to me then maybe I'd stop being angry.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL

Jay said:
You get a lot of this down in FL?

The southern US sucks if you're an atheist. Sorry if I carry that anger over into places where I don't need to. I forget that such issues tend not to exist in Canada.