Division over Bush migrant plan

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Mr Bush said his reform objectives included:

Securing US borders: The number of border guards would rise by 6,000 to 18,000, and new hi-tech detection measures including hi-tech fences, new border patrol roads, and motion sensors would be installed along the 2,000-mile (3,200km) southern border.

A temporary worker programme which would match "honest immigrants" with jobs that employers could not find Americans to do. The workers would have to return to their country of origin after a specified time.

New ID cards for legal foreign workers, to include biometric technology, would allow employers to verify they were hiring legal workers.

Providing illegal immigrants with a chance of citizenship. Mr Bush said applicants would have to pay a penalty for breaking the law, pay back taxes, learn English, and would have to "wait in line" behind legal migrants.

Encouraging immigrants to assimilate, to learn English "and embrace our common identity as Americans".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4986316.stm

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think any plan would draw varied reactions. Everyone seems split on what should be done. IMO, doing something, anything, is a step in the right direction and should help him politically.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Want to stop illegal immigration? Prosecute employers who hire them. Take the big money out of their pockets and the problem will be solved overnight!

dekhqonbacha

Electoral Member
Apr 30, 2006
CsL, Mtl, Qc, Ca, NA, Er, SS,MW, Un
Re: RE: Division over Bush migrant plan

aeon said:
dekhqonbacha said:
gopher
somehow you are right.

He is right all the way.

You are telling me that s/he is completly right? I dont' care what you think. I know what I'm saying. I don't need your correction. Mind your business.

Yeah, besides, I see the relationship between immigration problem and a war in Afghanistan based on "lie." Don't you?