American Civil Rights Movement

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now I am just posting this here since in another thread a member of this forum was basically showing their idiocy at the civil rights movement that occured in the United States and all the countless lives that were lost by governmental (local) action and by terrorists, true terrorists.

Murders of African-Americans at the hands of whites were still common in the 1950s and still unpunished in large areas of the South. The murder of Emmett Till, a teenage boy from Chicago visiting relatives in Money, Mississippi in the summer of 1955 was different, however: the age of the boy, the nature of his crime—allegedly whistling at a white woman in a store—and his mother's decision to have the casket open at his funeral, showing the beating that had been inflicted on her son by his two white abductors before he was shot and his body dumped in the Tallahatchie River on August 28 all made what might otherwise have been a routine statistic into a cause célèbre. As many as 50,000 people may have viewed his body at the funeral home in Chicago and many thousands more were exposed to the evidence of his murder when a photograph of his corpse was published in Jet Magazine.

The two murderers were arrested the day after Till's disappearance. They were acquitted a month later after the jury of all white men deliberated for sixty-seven minutes. The murder and subsequent acquittal galvanized opinion in the North in the same way that the long campaign to free the "Scottsboro Boys" had in the 1930s.

On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks (the "mother of the Civil Rights Movement") refused to get up out of her seat on a public bus to make room for white passengers. Rosa was arrested, tried, and convicted for disorderly conduct and violating a local ordinance. After word of this incident reached the black community, 50 African-American leaders gathered and organized the Montgomery Bus Boycott to protest the segregation of blacks and whites on public buses. The boycott lasted for 381 days, until the local ordinance segregating African-Americans and whites on public buses was lifted.

Mississipi Freedom Program

COFO brought more than a hundred college students, many from outside the state, to Mississippi in the summer of 1964 ("Freedom Summer") to join with local activists to register voters, teach in "Freedom Schools" and organize the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party. The work was as dangerous as ever: three civil rights workers, James Chaney, a young black Mississippian and plasterer's apprentice; and two white volunteers, Andrew Goodman, a Queens College anthropology student; and Michael Schwerner, a social worker from Manhattan's Lower East Side, were murdered by members of the Klan, some of them members of the Neshoba County sheriff's department, on June 21, 1964.

The national uproar caused by their disappearance forced the Federal Bureau of Investigation to investigate, even though President Johnson had to use indirect threats of political reprisals against J. Edgar Hoover to force him to do so. After paying at least one participant in the crime for details about the murders, the FBI found their bodies on August 4 in an earthen dam outside Philadelphia, Mississippi. Schwerner and Goodman had been shot once; Chaney, the lone African-American, had been savagely beaten and shot three times. The FBI also discovered in the course of its investigation the bodies of a number of other Mississippi blacks whose disappearances had been reported over the past several years without attracting any attention outside their local communities.

The disappearance of these three activists remained in the public eye for the month and-a-half until their bodies were found. Johnson used the outrage over their deaths and his formidable political skills to bring about the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, signed July 2, which bars discrimination in public accommodations, employment and education. It also had a section about voting, but voting was addressed more substantially by the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_Rights_Movement_(1955-1968)

Now I don't know where you can find some braver people. White and Black and other people stood up in a non-violent protest that lasted many years and is still ongoing and has cost so many lives over the process. These are true heros.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay, your copy and paste from wikipedia are too long. Opt for an opinion article instead, they are much shorter and initiate debate.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
RE: Article Lengths

:!: Point of Order

That, Jersay, or you could just post the first three or four paragraphs of the article (or pick whichever paragraphs you think are the most interesting), then provide a link to the entire article. No offence to the seriousness of this thread intended, but I would suggest that posting huge articles can tend to detract from the message. :(

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Jersay said:
Now I am just posting this here since in another thread a member of this forum was basically showing their idiocy at the civil rights movement that occured in the United States and all the countless lives that were lost by governmental (local) action and by terrorists, true terrorists. .
Who would that member be who was showing their Idiocy at the civil rights movement? Like you're an expert because you copied and pasted an article on it.. :roll:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Ya Jersay, no one has time to read a novel. Like Five suggests, pick a key paragraph or three and put the link in.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Jersay said:
Since I wrote a history essay on the Mississipi Freedom Movement. I think I know I little more then some when it comes to this issue.
Wow! I wrote a history essay on President Reagan, so I must know a little more about him then anyone else.. :roll:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
"Oops" doesn't cut it here, lady........

The woman whose accusation led to Emmett Till’s murder now says she was lying

This is absolutely appalling. It doesn’t matter how sorry Bryant is or how tender that sorrow is. She lied and a child was murdered for it. She lied again and his murderers saw no justice.

Her husband Roy Bryant and J.W. Milam had beaten Till and disfigured his body so badly, Till’s body could only be identified by a ring he was wearing. Carolyn Bryant may not have been holding the gun, but she is responsible for one of the most notorious—though far from the last—instances of sheer racist brutality ever in the United States.

Woman who claimed Emmett Till harassed her lied | Fusion

The reason his photo got released was because the family demanded an open casket, despite many disagreeing wth her decision to do so.
The mother said she wanted the world to see what these monsters did to her little boy.

This is the picture in question, if you can bare to look. Extremely Disturbing but also reality.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
tay, have you apologized to the Indians yet? And gotten off their land?

If not, looking down your nose at racists just makes you a hypocrite.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Why is the civil rights movement still going on? The law now makes everyone equal. If the law is enforced there should be no need for a further civil rights movement or any kind of a 'rights' movement for that matter.
There will always be a certain number of racists. You can't open people's minds. But how racists feel doesn't really matter as long as they are prevented by law from doing harm to persons because of their race. IF they were certain that the law would be enforced.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Why is the civil rights movement still going on? The law now makes everyone equal. If the law is enforced there should be no need for a further civil rights movement or any kind of a 'rights' movement for that matter.
There will always be a certain number of racists. You can't open people's minds. But how racists feel doesn't really matter as long as they are prevented by law from doing harm to persons because of their race. IF they were certain that the law would be enforced.

What more do those uppity naygras want, eh? We wouldn't shoot so many of them if they we're all bad guys.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
What more do those uppity naygras want, eh? We wouldn't shoot so many of them if they we're all bad guys.

Those 'uppity naygras' have the same rights as everyone else. They just haven't realized it yet or haven't taken advantage of it. It would be helpful if they would start understanding that law and order is important in a civilized society, stop shooting each other, joining gangs and get out of the drug industry.
It would be helpful if they started thinking of themselves as Americans, not some special group who's needs and wants are different from every other American who isn't black. What the hell DO they want anyway?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Those 'uppity naygras' have the same rights as everyone else. They just haven't realized it yet or haven't taken advantage of it. It would be helpful if they would start understanding that law and order is important in a civilized society, stop shooting each other, joining gangs and get out of the drug industry.
It would be helpful if they started thinking of themselves as Americans, not some special group who's needs and wants are different from every other American who isn't black. What the hell DO they want anyway?

Really? Dave's Mom is having an epiphany?

Silly me.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I agree with the first part of what you said. Once you have full legal equality, social equality becomes a matter of time and work. Same is true of Indians. Our "special status," insofar as it exists, has always worked against us, however well intended. I support full equality for Indians. That means no special disadvantages, and no special "privileges."

Second part, not so much. This is America, and you're entitled to feel any way you like. And the "special group," as you call it, wasn't created by the blacks. It was created by the whites.

As far as what "they" want, I guess the answer is another question. What do whites want? Blacks are a single, unified bloc with single, unified goals and desires to exactly the same extent whites are. Which is to say, not at all.

And I'm not trying to bash you here, davesmom, but please consider that assuming "blacks" as a group want anything is as silly and invalid as assuming "whites" as a group want anything.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Not all Whites get treated equally..........

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Wow - that's hard to read but so true in many instances. But if she's strong, she'll survive and if she's persistent, she will succeed as many have before her..

The other guy, not so much. Once things go wrong and his supports are no longer there he won't be able to stand on his own two feet.

JMHO

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I agree with the first part of what you said. Once you have full legal equality, social equality becomes a matter of time and work. Same is true of Indians. Our "special status," insofar as it exists, has always worked against us, however well intended. I support full equality for Indians. That means no special disadvantages, and no special "privileges."

Second part, not so much. This is America, and you're entitled to feel any way you like. And the "special group," as you call it, wasn't created by the blacks. It was created by the whites.

As far as what "they" want, I guess the answer is another question. What do whites want? Blacks are a single, unified bloc with single, unified goals and desires to exactly the same extent whites are. Which is to say, not at all.

And I'm not trying to bash you here, davesmom, but please consider that assuming "blacks" as a group want anything is as silly and invalid as assuming "whites" as a group want anything.

True, people are entitled to their feelings and that can never be changed by any law.

I agree that white people have encouraged the 'special group' syndrome by referring to ethnics as being their own communities. But the 'special groups' have used that to gain special privileges too.

I don't know what they want, either blacks or whites that they couldn't have by simply accepting that all men are created equal. All people want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. There does seem to be a misinterpretation of the 'pursuit of happiness' part; 'pursue' doesn't necessarily mean 'getting' by some special assistance or right.