Ford CEO: New U.S. Rules Risk 1 Million Jobs

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Ford CEO Told U.S. Fuel-Economy Rules Risk 1 Million Jobs

About 1 million U.S. jobs are at risk if fuel-economy rules don’t align with market reality, according to Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive Officer Mark Fields, who delivered the estimation directly to President Donald Trump.

Fields and his peers -- General Motors Co. chief Mary Barra and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s Sergio Marchionne -- didn’t ask to have fuel-economy standards eliminated during their meeting with the president at the White House this week, the CEO said Friday. The focus was on combining various sets of government regulations and ensuring they take into account consumer demand.

“We think having one national standard on fuel economy is really important,” Fields said at the National Automobile Dealers Association convention in New Orleans. Citing several studies he didn’t identify, Fields said the jobs “could be at risk if we’re not given some level of flexibility on that -- aligning it to market reality. So that really resonated.”

Fields’s comments are the most in-depth that any of the three U.S. auto CEOs have given about closed-door discussions with Trump at the White House on Tuesday. In responding to the president’s criticisms on Twitter and demands to maximize hiring at home, the carmakers are pushing the administration for regulatory help that could boost their profits and encourage investing in domestic factories.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...el-economy-rules-risk-1-million-jobs-iygg9wja

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Many business will have to accept that their cost of operations will now be their responsibility.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Tell that to Carrier

Do you think, maybe, it takes months/years to plan something like a Carrier move and that what you saw was a sympathettic CEO giving Trump a PR platform (he probably already regrets it) Hummm? Maybe? Do you believe in magic?

"Hey Rocky! Watch me pull sone major industrial planning out of my hat! Nuthin' up my sleeve!"

How did the American people become so vulnerable to this sort of penny-ante propaganda? Half of America has suspended their disbelief.