How the Ultrasound Pushed the Idea That a Fetus Is a Person

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Today, The Atlantic ran a bizarre piece by Moira Weigel titled, in Orwellian fashion, “How the Ultrasound Pushed the Idea That a Foetus Is a Person.” Which is somewhat like saying, “How the Microscope Pushed the Idea That Cells Exist,” or “How the Hubble Telescope Pushed the Idea That There Are Stars Outside Our Solar System.” […] But Weigel goes even further, assuring readers that ultrasounds were primarily a form of warfare against women rather than a tool allowing doctors to identify problems with foetal development as early as possible.

“What is a foetal heartbeat?” asks Ms Weigel. “And why does it matter?” As we’ve seen, pregnancy is a subject that leaves some feminists looking not only disingenuous but actually monstrous.

Ben Shapiro Verified account ‏@benshapiro
Let's play a game, leftists. It's called: when is it okay to kill this baby?

read on

'The Atlantic' Mourns That Women Aren't Aborting Their Kids After Seeing Ultrasounds | Daily Wire

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...ound-woman-pregnancy/514109/?utm_source=atltw

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
The 'fetus isn't a human being' argument doesn't jive with me. We were all just the size of a pea once.

But I still believe in a woman's right to choose, so I suppose I'm a walking contradiction on this issue.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Had my first ultrasound yesterday. Doc thinks I may have gall stones but I retorted, "Wouldn't I be in pain?" He said yes, but you never know. I know my dad had his gall bladder removed when he was around my age. We'll see.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Poor Ben.

If that 'baby' is going to kill the mother, if there's a choice, then yes, abort the child when you have to, regardless of time to birth.

If the 'baby' is going to survive only minutes outside the womb, then yes, aborting is a wiser, and more humane, choice.

Otherwise, it's not any of Ben's business when it's 'okay'.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Poor Ben.
If that 'baby' is going to kill the mother, if there's a choice, then yes, abort the child when you have to, regardless of time to birth.
If the 'baby' is going to survive only minutes outside the womb, then yes, aborting is a wiser, and more humane, choice.
Otherwise, it's not any of Ben's business when it's 'okay'.

So, it's never Ben's choice, but YOU are allowed to state choices. Interesting.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Today, The Atlantic ran a bizarre piece by Moira Weigel titled, in Orwellian fashion, “How the Ultrasound Pushed the Idea That a Foetus Is a Person.” Which is somewhat like saying, “How the Microscope Pushed the Idea That Cells Exist,” or “How the Hubble Telescope Pushed the Idea That There Are Stars Outside Our Solar System.” […] But Weigel goes even further, assuring readers that ultrasounds were primarily a form of warfare against women rather than a tool allowing doctors to identify problems with foetal development as early as possible.
“What is a foetal heartbeat?” asks Ms Weigel. “And why does it matter?” As we’ve seen, pregnancy is a subject that leaves some feminists looking not only disingenuous but actually monstrous.

read on
'The Atlantic' Mourns That Women Aren't Aborting Their Kids After Seeing Ultrasounds | Daily Wire
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...ound-woman-pregnancy/514109/?utm_source=atltw
Depends. If it's Black, up until the 141st trimester, at least.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
So, it's never Ben's choice, but YOU are allowed to state choices. Interesting.

No, it's not Ben's choice. Ever.

He can give input and opinion if the fetus is his, but that's 'bout it.

That said, he asked the question "When is it okay..." and I gave my opinion of answers.

In the end, it's not up to anyone but the woman involved.

Hey, be happy I don't think that using abortion as a form of birth control is acceptable.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No, it's not Ben's choice. Ever.
He can give input and opinion if the fetus is his, but that's 'bout it.
That said, he asked the question "When is it okay..." and I gave my opinion of answers.
In the end, it's not up to anyone but the woman involved.
Hey, be happy I don't think that using abortion as a form of birth control is acceptable.

Vast majority of abortions performed do not fall under what you have said was "ok". Your idea that it's up to the murderer only is flawed.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Vast majority of abortions performed do not fall under what you have said was "ok". Your idea that it's up to the murderer only is flawed.

No, they don't.

But then again it's not my business.

That's how I would like abortion to be 'only considered'.

Other women feel differently.

Again, not my business.

It's your opinion it's murder.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No, they don't.
But then again it's not my business.
That's how I would like abortion to be 'only considered'.
Other women feel differently.
Again, not my business.
It's your opinion it's murder.

What would you call the purposeful killing of another human?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
What would you call the purposeful killing of another human?

I'd call it murder.

When you're talking a fetus however, that's dependent on how you view the fetus.

While I realize there are those like you who believe the instant a sperm/egg are joined it's a person (or something similar to that thought process), others don't see them as a person until they're outside the womb.

And because of that, my beliefs don't matter overall to either side.

For me personally, I could never abort a child unless there is an issue with them or myself.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Person and human are completely different. Person is a legal status.

There is only two justifiable scenarios that dont qualify as vanity or selfishness (2 reason that cant be justified) and you hit both them.