MLK III: 'Very constructive' Trump meeting

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
MAGA

Martin Luther King III said Monday -- the federal holiday honoring his father -- said he had a “very constructive” meeting with President-elect Donald Trump at Trump Tower in New York.

But he declined to say whether he was offended by Trump’s weekend criticism of civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.).

“Well, first of all I think that in the heat of emotion a lot of things get said on both sides. And I think that at some point -- I am, as John Lewis and many others, a bridge builder,” King told reporters in the lobby of Trump Tower.

“The goal is to bring America together and Americans. We are a great nation but we must become a greater nation. And what my father represented, my mother represented through her life, what I hope that I am trying to do is always bring people together.”Trump criticized Lewis over the weekend, calling the congressman “all talk” and “no action” after Lewis said he did not view Trump as a “legitimate president.”

But King disagreed with the "no action" label, saying, “Absolutely I would say John Lewis has demonstrated that he’s action.

"As I said, things get said on both sides in the heat of emotion. And at some point, this nation, we’ve got to move forward,” King added.

When asked what his father, civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr., would say to Trump, King emphasized the issue of poverty.

"I think my father would be very concerned about the fact that there are 50 or 60 million people living poverty and somehow we’ve got to create the climate for all boats to be lifted,” he said.

Asked if the president-elect had allayed his concerns, King noted that Trump has "said that that he is going to represent Americans.

"He’s said that over and over again. We will continue to evaluate that. The nation supports. I believe that’s his intent. I believe we have to consistently engage with pressure, public pressure. It doesn’t happen automatically, my father and his team understood that, did that."

MLK III: 'Very constructive' Trump meeting | TheHill

related:

Blog: MLK?s niece: I voted for Trump

but of course:

Reporters Plead with MLK III to Attack Trump; Did Lewis Tweets Shake You 'To Your Core?'

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Martin Luther King 111 needs to get his message out to the black communities. A good first step would be to ask why it is so important to be 'AFRICAN Americans'. Why not be just 'Americans' like everybody else?
All of he ethnic groups who hyphenate their nationalities would benefit from changing their ethnicity to American. They set themselves apart by hyphenating and yet expect the same privileges as everyone else. Hyphenating encourages people to think of them as 'different'.

There has been criticism levelled at Trump for not reaching out to black communities. How intensely have black communities reached out to him? It works both ways, you know.
How many 'black' organizations have contacted Trump and requested meetings with him for discussion? He has millions of issues to deal with while they only have the one issue to get resolved.

I think the way Trump has spoken and acted portrays his determination to see all ethnicities as 'American' only. The criticism for not acknowledging and praising ethnic groups is unfounded in this respect.