America is getting more Liberal

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
IN ONE OF the most incisive pieces of post-election pop culture so far, Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock on Saturday Night Live school an election night party full of blithely ignorant white liberals on the deep, persistent currents of American racism.

“Because of changing demographics, there might never be another Republican president in this country,” cast member Beck Bennett says in the sketch.

Chappelle glares at him, dumbfounded. “Word?” he says. “You ever been around this country before?”

The gag of course is the fact that, as a black man, Chappelle has seen the country at its ugliest, its least inclusive, so he can understand how a candidate like Donald Trump, with his hardline stance on immigration and tough-on-crime policies, might just succeed. Bennett’s character is still living in his white liberal bubble.

And yet it’s not a bubble formed entirely by delusions. Even as the Electoral College votes today to make Trump president, the United States is becoming more liberal. Just look at the data.

Over the eight years Barack Obama has served as president, public opinion in the United States has shifted decisively leftward. Think about it. When Obama came to office, he still hadn’t publicly supported same sex marriage. Last year, the White House was lit up in rainbow colors to celebrate the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize same-sex marriage. Over the last year, bottom line-driven businesses have boycotted entire states over discriminatory policies against LGBT people. A law prohibiting transgender people from using the bathroom of their choice just cost North Carolina’s Pat McCrory the governorship. Undocumented immigrants have come out of hiding, banding together online to discuss their struggles. And in November, California, Maine, Massachusetts, and Nevada all voted to make recreational marijuana legal.

So if left is quickly becoming the new center, how did Trump win? Some, including Trump’s own team, have chalked up his victory to an economic message that resonated with white, working class voters dismayed about the economy. But exit polls reveal Clinton actually won among voters whose top issue was the economy, and Trump’s own approach—curbing free trade chief among them—had more in common with Bernie Sanders than GOP orthodoxy. Another theory for Trump’s victory, one held by the dejected partygoers in the sketch, attributes his win to a far-right racist uprising.

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/dont-let-trumps-win-fool-americas-getting-liberal/

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Trump told voters "I will look after you". That's a pretty left-wing message. If Trump was actually conservative, he would say "I'm going to get out of your way". Of course we know, that message wouldn't sell with the Trumpites because they aren't really fiscally conservative.

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I think I'll have to take time off from this place because of you and mentalflake ;)

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Trump told voters "I will look after you". That's a pretty left-wing message. If Trump was actually conservative, he would say "I'm going to get out of your way". Of course we know, that message wouldn't sell with the Trumpites because they aren't really fiscally conservative.

Trump says he will look after them but the details are yet to emerge as to exactly what he and his administration's view on that is.........

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Trump says he will look after them but the details are yet to emerge as to exactly what he and his administration's view on that is.........

I don't think he has any desire to help Americans. He's basically admitted most of his election talk was just that. I don't think he's stupid, he definitely knew what people wanted to hear.

I've asked Trumpites to explain to me how increasing tariffs and giving taxpayer dollars to corporations is going to help the average American and none have even tried to take a stab at it.

I think most Trumpites don't care about the economy or don't understand. They just don't like Muslims and immigrants and SJWs and Trump told them he would do something about it.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I don't think he has any desire to help Americans. He's basically admitted most of his election talk was just that. I don't think he's stupid, he definitely knew what people wanted to hear.

I've asked Trumpites to explain to me how increasing tariffs and giving taxpayer dollars to corporations is going to help the average American and none have even tried to take a stab at it.

I think most Trumpites don't care about the economy or don't understand. They just don't like Muslims and immigrants and SJWs and Trump told them he would do something about it.

Yes they are pro establishment types. You are right on the money.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
IN ONE OF the most incisive pieces of post-election pop culture so far, Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock on Saturday Night Live school an election night party full of blithely ignorant white liberals on the deep, persistent currents of American racism.

“Because of changing demographics, there might never be another Republican president in this country,” cast member Beck Bennett says in the sketch.

Chappelle glares at him, dumbfounded. “Word?” he says. “You ever been around this country before?”

The gag of course is the fact that, as a black man, Chappelle has seen the country at its ugliest, its least inclusive, so he can understand how a candidate like Donald Trump, with his hardline stance on immigration and tough-on-crime policies, might just succeed. Bennett’s character is still living in his white liberal bubble.

And yet it’s not a bubble formed entirely by delusions. Even as the Electoral College votes today to make Trump president, the United States is becoming more liberal. Just look at the data.

Over the eight years Barack Obama has served as president, public opinion in the United States has shifted decisively leftward. Think about it. When Obama came to office, he still hadn’t publicly supported same sex marriage. Last year, the White House was lit up in rainbow colors to celebrate the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize same-sex marriage. Over the last year, bottom line-driven businesses have boycotted entire states over discriminatory policies against LGBT people. A law prohibiting transgender people from using the bathroom of their choice just cost North Carolina’s Pat McCrory the governorship. Undocumented immigrants have come out of hiding, banding together online to discuss their struggles. And in November, California, Maine, Massachusetts, and Nevada all voted to make recreational marijuana legal.

So if left is quickly becoming the new center, how did Trump win? Some, including Trump’s own team, have chalked up his victory to an economic message that resonated with white, working class voters dismayed about the economy. But exit polls reveal Clinton actually won among voters whose top issue was the economy, and Trump’s own approach—curbing free trade chief among them—had more in common with Bernie Sanders than GOP orthodoxy. Another theory for Trump’s victory, one held by the dejected partygoers in the sketch, attributes his win to a far-right racist uprising.

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/dont-let-trumps-win-fool-americas-getting-liberal/

Your data is from SNL. Whatt fukkin data? Why don't you get a job?
You are a victim of fresh history. Reviewing the American power structure is best done by waiting a decade or so, they eat babies you know.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

I agree with his view (that he stole from Sanders) that the Trade Deals need to be renegotiated if not cancelled but that remains to be seen.

So far his self proclaimed Carrier deal and no Rexnord deal have failed and one can only hope that when he takes power, that will reverse.

But -- over the last 80 years we've had 2 businessmen in the white House. One was Herbert Hoover and the other was

George W. Bush.

What kind of shape was the economy in when those two left office.........?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
America is nineteen trillion in liberalality. The economy will be driven by N American war for the next bit.

The most tolerant of cold will prevail, just barely.

People will kill for another cold nights firewood.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The bond market was going to collapse no matter what, watch for a nice sell off in stocks first trading day(s) of the new year because Trump is going to lower capital gains NEXT year (2017), the fed is raising rates because Trump is NOT Hillary, so watch what happens to people now in debt, and currently foreigners are selling off treasuries at record rates...

The US more liebarrel?
not after obama...that's why Trump was elected
...and hillareek wasn't

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Mentalflake and cannuk are a classic couple

Check out a few of these liberal trends in the US
1. gay marriage
2. a decline in church-going
3. a decline in all marriages
4. numerous out-of-wedlock children
5. increase in mixed marriages
6 more prominent roles for women
7. more prominent roles for visible minorities
8. increase in non-caucasian immigration

Yes, the US is becoming more liberal without even realizing it.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Check out a few of these liberal trends in the US
1. gay marriage
2. a decline in church-going
3. a decline in all marriages
4. numerous out-of-wedlock children
5. increase in mixed marriages
6 more prominent roles for women
7. more prominent roles for visible minorities
8. increase in non-caucasian immigration

Yes, the US is becoming more liberal without even realizing it.
Yes then check out the Senate ( controlled by Republicans ) Congress ( controlled by Republicans ) President ( Republican ) the majority of states Governor ( Republican ) and so on . Yes America is getting more liberal .