‘This is part of life now’: Americans growing numb to terror attacks

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Just get over it already.

‘This is part of life now’: Americans growing numb to terror attacks

NEW YORK – After a round of frightening domestic attacks, Americans plodded on in the comfort of routine Monday, either resilient in the face of terror or numbed by their battle scars.

Fresh off a weekend in which blasts shook a New York neighbourhood and a New Jersey shore town, pipe bombs were found in a suburban railroad station and a Minnesota mall became the scene of a string of stabbings, the country started the week wondering whether it was all part of a new normal.

“I think that this is part of life now,” said Craig Filiberto, a 56-year-old accountant enjoying a pack of peanut M&Ms across from Penn Station in New York, where police and military vehicles were parked outside and officers stood guard.

He had an office with a view of the World Trade Center when it was levelled and finds himself more conscious of where exits are wherever he goes. But the latest attacks didn’t make him fearful, because it just seems a part of life here.

“You know that we’re always a target,” he said.

On the other end of an outdoor plaza, 25-year-old Susan Rosello said she always feels a bit more on edge in midtown Manhattan versus her home in the Bronx. She has made minor adjustments to be sure she’s aware of her surroundings, like lowering the music on her headphones. Still, events like the explosion Saturday that hurt 29 people make her feel somewhat uneasy but not scared, said the administrative assistant and costume designer.

“When you’re inundated with this stuff all the time, you’re sort of just desensitized to these things,” she said. “Otherwise, you’d hide in a hole.”

And so, life went on in this city and around the country. On an Amtrak train stalled for hours in New Jersey on Sunday night as police investigated five explosive devices in a train station garbage can, passengers stayed calm as they read news of the developments. Around New York early Monday, cellphones buzzed with an emergency alert to be on the lookout for a suspect, even as commuters emerged from subway tunnels with potential targets like the Freedom Tower looming against cloudy skies. President Barack Obama urged vigilance while insisting people shouldn’t succumb to fear.

https://www.google.ca/amp/globalnew...ing-numb-to-terror-attacks/amp/?client=safari

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I disagree. As soon as they see an Arab they trigger and want everyone bombed.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
All brown people and anyone who looks like Muslim has now been branded as unfriendly to the West and a potential terrorist.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There's close to 400 mass shootings a year in the US. Considering Muslims make up 1% of the population one would expect four a year give or take (all things being equal). Given the radicalized element within the religion, I think the number of shootings involving Muslims is ridiculously low and a testament to the religion of peace

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
We need Trump to kick the scum out.

They should go back to the country they built for themselves

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I don't think we have become desensitized. On the contrary. Most everyone I know would like to bomb the shyt out of the retarded barbarians. They are a stupid people and have no qualms about killing people. I'm American and I agree with wiping the bastards off the planet.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
I totally disagree with the notion that these horrifying murders can become acceptable on any level. It's not just Americans in shocked, it's all of North America and Europe. The method being used to murder innocent people in their country, while shopping, dancing, at cafes... is not being overlooked at all, never could that ever happen. That is why Trump was voted in, Brexit happened and many more to come. People stood back expecting politicians to do something, but nothing was done obviously, as these horrible murders continue.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I totally disagree with the notion that these horrifying murders can become acceptable on any level. It's not just Americans in shocked, it's all of North America and Europe. The method being used to murder innocent people in their country, while shopping, dancing, at cafes... is not being overlooked at all, never could that ever happen. That is why Trump was voted in, Brexit happened and many more to come. People stood back expecting politicians to do something, but nothing was done obviously, as these horrible murders continue.

I agree. Anyone who becomes desensitized will get re sensitized in a hurry when, not if, terrorism touch them personally.
The eradication of terrorism should have begun 'way back when Iran took the hostages and/or when the USS Cole was bombed.
It has been let go far too long and has spread all over the world.
We know what Trump want to do. As I understand it he wants to put the fight into the hand of the Military and give them free reign to do what has to be done by whatever means it takes without restrictions.
That's the only thing that will put a real dent in terrorism.
How he will accomplish it against the yelping of the bleeding hearts will be a difficult endeavor.
Perhaps a good start would be to make any association in any form with terrorists a crime punishable by death. That would mean rounding up and arresting anyone who collaborates or communicates with terrorists in any way and eliminating them
Black ops could do it, no problem. I say just TURN THEM LOOSE!

See:Rudyard Kipling ... Jungle Book.

No. See any books by Vince Flynn or Brad Thor. Their fictional methods of dealing with terrorists could very well be effective in real life if our politicians has the will to do it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I agree. Anyone who becomes desensitized will get re sensitized in a hurry when, not if, terrorism touch them personally.
The eradication of terrorism should have begun 'way back when Iran took the hostages and/or when the USS Cole was bombed.
It has been let go far too long and has spread all over the world.
We know what Trump want to do. As I understand it he wants to put the fight into the hand of the Military and give them free reign to do what has to be done by whatever means it takes without restrictions.
That's the only thing that will put a real dent in terrorism.
How he will accomplish it against the yelping of the bleeding hearts will be a difficult endeavor.
Perhaps a good start would be to make any association in any form with terrorists a crime punishable by death. That would mean rounding up and arresting anyone who collaborates or communicates with terrorists in any way and eliminating them
Black ops could do it, no problem. I say just TURN THEM LOOSE!

No. See any books by Vince Flynn or Brad Thor. Their fictional methods of dealing with terrorists could very well be effective in real life if our politicians has the will to do it.

So you don't know who the terrorists work for. An effective terrorist programme can and is best funded by money bags. You can borrow from international funds to manage terrorist insurgancies, cha ching cha ching
I wish I had big money.

If I had the cash, I would suppress the Russians. You can';t allow that kind of metal.

First a better beer ncooler with more capacity and then world subjhugation. All carefully laid out. Soon this contenent will be mine.