Donald Trump team 'discussing plans for Muslim registration system'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Hitler was not an exaggeration, folks.

Donald Trump team 'discussing plans for Muslim registration system'

Donald Trump’s policy advisers are discussing plans to establish a registry for Muslim immigrants in the US, a man believed to be a key member of the President-elect's transition team has revealed.

Kris Kobach, the secretary of state for Kansas, said the President-elect’s advisers were looking at how to implement a proposal suggested by the billionaire businessman that would force immigrants from Muslim countries to register on a database.

Mr Kobach, who helped devise tough immigration laws in a number of US states and claims to have participated in regular conference calls with Mr Trump’s immigration advisers, also said the Trump administration could push ahead rapidly on construction of a US-Mexico border wall without seeking immediate congressional approval.

The hardline immigration official, whose role has not been confirmed by the President-elect’s transition team but who is thought to be a favourite for the role of Attorney General, said the immigration group had discussed drafting executive orders for the President-elect's review “so that Trump and the Department of Homeland Security hit the ground running”.

Donald Trump team 'discussing plans for Muslim registration system' | The Independent

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Hahaha!

Read the article:
"....are discussing plans..."
"...were looking at..."
"...could push ahead..."
"...has not been confirmed..."
"...is thought to be..."
"...had discussed.."

Everybody panic!
Speculate, irritate, instigate.....

Reacting to what the Trump administration MIGHT do = arresting a person for what he MIGHT do.
Why don't you all calm down. When something is confirmed, done, is the time to analyze it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Non-citizens do not have the same rights as citizens. The key right they don't have is "the right to be here." By definition, non-citizens are here by sufferance, and can be deported at any time. Logically, any measure short of deportation (like registration) is therefore also legal and proper.

This is not WWII internment, when citizens of Japanese ancestry, as well as non-citizen immigrants, were interned. Therefore the internment of persons of Japanese ancestry is a false equivalence.

It may have Constitutional trouble because of religious discrimination, but that's easily enough solved. Simply apply the registration requirements to all immigrants from countries designated as "trouble spots" or "high risk for terrorism," regardless of religion.

I don't suppose anybody noticed that this is not a new idea. It merely resurrects a program the U.S. passed after the attacks on 11 Sep 2001, and later halted.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Constitutions often aren't helpful, even in this case.

The policy is more egregious than simply being unconstitutional.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario

Isn't it refreshing to see an administration that is going to look into the prevention of potential problems identified with a specific group of people?

To all the worry warts, detailed plans of this initiative have not been decided or announced. Should it go forward in some form, it will be the first positive step in reaction to what has been happening in Europ-istan.

Ask the French, the Swedes, the Germans, etc. how they're making out. Standard immigration policies don't seem to be working. Time to have another look and update outmoded/inefficient methods.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yes let's fix an outdated model by replacing it with an even more outdated one.

Makes canoodles of sense.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Isn't it refreshing to see an administration that is going to look into the prevention of potential problems identified with a specific group of people?
I'd prefer looking into effective, evidence-based measures, but if they were rational, they wouldn't be white supremacists in the first place, so this really ain't a big surprise.

To all the worry warts, detailed plans of this initiative have not been decided or announced. Should it go forward in some form, it will be the first positive step in reaction to what has been happening in Europ-istan.
Well, the first step anyhow.

Ask the French, the Swedes, the Germans, etc. how they're making out. Standard immigration policies don't seem to be working. Time to have another look and update outmoded/inefficient methods.
When I was in Luxembourg and Germany in early summer, things looked OK. I'm going to Austria and Germany in a couple weeks. I'll let you know.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
You and I are not party to this examination of the situation. I would resist comment until something substantive is announced.

I was in France and Germany in the summer. We saw areas in both countries that were trouble spots. Paris has many more street people. They were doing a creditable job of keeping the touristy areas trouble free, but we kept hearing reports of difficulties moving refugees away from areas where, according to the news, they were not supposed to be.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You and I are not party to this examination of the situation. I would resist comment until something substantive is announced.
That's a fine idea. Too bad you already commented.

I was in France and Germany in the summer. We saw areas in both countries that were trouble spots. Paris has many more street people. They were doing a creditable job of keeping the touristy areas trouble free, but we kept hearing reports of difficulties moving refugees away from areas where, according to the news, they were not supposed to be.
Well, the French, y'know?