When America had a spine

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
How America's Polygamy Ban Blocked Muslim Immigration

A hundred years ago, Muslims were furious over an immigration bill whose origins lay with advocacy by a headstrong and loudmouthed Republican in the White House.

The anti-immigration bill offended the Ottoman Empire, the rotting Caliphate of Islam soon to be defeated at the hands of America and the West, by banning the entry of “all polygamists, or persons who admit their belief in the practice of polygamy.”

This, as was pointed out at the time, would prohibit the entry of the “entire Mohammedan world” into the United States.

And indeed it would.

The battle had begun earlier when President Theodore Roosevelt had declared in his State of the Union address back in 1906 that Congress needed to have the power to “deal radically and efficiently with polygamy.” The Immigration Act of 1907, signed into law by President Theodore Roosevelt, had banned “polygamists, or persons who admit their belief in the practice of polygamy.”

It was the last part that was most significant because it made clear what had only been implied.

The Immigration Act of 1891 had merely banned polygamists. The newest law banned anyone who believed in the practice of polygamy. That group included every faithful believing Muslim.

The Ottoman Empire’s representatives argued that their immigrants believed in the practice of polygamy, but wouldn’t actually take more than one wife. This argument echoes the current contention that Muslim immigrants may believe in a Jihad against non-Muslims without actually engaging in terrorism. That type of argument proved far less convincing to Americans than it does today.

These amazing facts, uncovered by @rushetteny reveal part of the long controversial history of battles over Islamic migration into America.

Muslim immigration was still slight at the time and bans on polygamy had not been created to deliberately target them, but the Muslim practice of an act repulsive to most Americans even back then pitted their cries of discrimination and victimhood against the values of the nation. The Immigration Act of 1907 had been meant to select only those immigrants who would make good Americans.

And Muslims would not.

mo

Sultan Knish: How America's Polygamy Ban Blocked Muslim Immigration

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The Immigration Act of 1891 had merely banned polygamists. The newest law banned anyone who believed in the practice of polygamy. That group included every faithful believing Muslim.
Not to mention the original inhabitants of the land, who were also polygamist...
but those dang Pale faces just wouldn't assimilate because they wanted to kill em all off and take over
(story sound familiar? sound familiar? sound familiar?)
yeah, they were gonna take out them polygamist Mormons with the army too...

Trump just has to enforce existing laws and not arrest border agents for doing their job like GWB did...
of course after the unarmed invasion by 30 million Mexicans, it will just be closing the barn door after the horses have run away

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Not to mention the original inhabitants of the land, who were also polygamist...
but those dang Pale faces just wouldn't assimilate because they wanted to kill em all off and take over

Trump just has to enforce existing laws and not arrest border agents for doing their job like GWB did...
of course after the unarmed invasion by 30 million Mexicans, it will just be closing the barn door after the horses have run away

You smoke 3-4 joints a day don't you? It's easy to tell you're brain dead.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Danbones; said:

Evidently, some critics of polygyny forgot that we live in a society that claims to practice separation of church and state. Therefore, banning Muslims because of their marital practices would be unconstitutional.

By the way, in the Old Testament levirate marriage was mandatory - this means a man can have more than one wife. When confronted with the issue, Jesus refused to ban the practice which means Christians can have more than one wife as well. If Roosevelt and those who feel Trump is correct should have their way, then that would cause a ban on all Jews and Christians.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
You smoke 3-4 joints a day don't you? It's easy to tell you're brain dead.
funny
I keep proving you wrong
dearie
which is why you just led with a kindergarten level opening
you could ( lol, figuratively speaking) have posted an intelligent rebuttal instead you are just a butt

and stay off the glue
it ain't medicinal even in your case

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Wow, totally f*cked that far back. Perhaps that is what the holy war was all about, immigration even though all wars were fought on their home and native land. Just how long has the west been as f*cked up as they are now as it doesn't appear to be anything recent being added to our water.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Evidently, some critics of polygyny forgot that we live in a society that claims to practice separation of church and state. Therefore, banning Muslims because of their marital practices would be unconstitutional.

By the way, in the Old Testament levirate marriage was mandatory - this means a man can have more than one wife. When confronted with the issue, Jesus refused to ban the practice which means Christians can have more than one wife as well. If Roosevelt and those who feel Trump is correct should have their way, then that would cause a ban on all Jews and Christians.
What? no link? or do you claim to have proved it before like you always do?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

Christians don't follow OT rules. And Jesus DID have something to say about adultery, which is what polygamy is.
Christians and Jews have had the common sense to modify and update the rules of the OT according to what is honest, fair and humane. Muslims don't seem to have done that; they don't change with the times.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

You're technically correct that the Christian Faith permits monogamy, but some Gospel passage still hint at a preference for monogamy.

Depending on one's reading of the Qur'án, one could argue that the fourth Surah explicitly enjoins monogamy. A man can have 2, 3 or 4 wives on the condition that he treat them all equally.

However, further along in the same Surah, it states that a man cannot treat his wife's equally. Ergo...

I would say the right balance would be to recognise a poligamous marriage that is legally contracted abroad but not allow one to be contracted here.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars

Who would want more than one wife. Why get married at all. The two shall become one. I take that to mean best friends. I don't know Goph. Not sure I agree with you on what Jesus taught. One soulmate. Any more than that disqualifies the meaning.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Thanks for posting this neighbourg.

I recently posed a question to flosshole asking if anything was done to keep Muzzie idealogues out of the country at the same time that millions of Christians and Jews fled the Ottoman Empire and Sharia (kanun) Law and came to Canada.

No reply of course.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Christians don't follow OT rules. And Jesus DID have something to say about adultery, which is what polygamy is.
Christians and Jews have had the common sense to modify and update the rules of the OT according to what is honest, fair and humane. Muslims don't seem to have done that; they don't change with the times.
Most Jews don't believe Jesus rose from the dead, I thought you should know that. Nice attempt at Muslim bashing though.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Most Jews don't believe Jesus rose from the dead, I thought you should know that. Nice attempt at Muslim bashing though.

I don't speak for Jews; I am not Jewish.
I am not bashing Muslims; I am bashing a philosophy they adhere to that is contrary to the Constitutions and traditions of the U.S. and Canada.
We have laws in our countries which are fashioned to protect society and those laws should be honoured by ALL races and religions if they want to live in our countries.
Legal monogamy is one of those laws.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
mean while the US is OVER THERE telling the legally elected leaders of all kinds of countries ( like ASSAD ) they must go so the us can put in puppet dictators who will rape the place silly for the banker chicken hawks...
congnitive disconnect maybe?

I imagine you only mention brain dead because you've heard so much professional advice in the last few years concerning the subject.

Its OK
on another thread right after the quoted post
he couldn't use the spell checker and had to apologize
smart people don't need spell check
and as any one can see
I don't

lol

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I imagine you only mention brain dead because you've heard so much professional advice in the last few years concerning the subject.

Yep, both my boomer parents are brain dead from smoking so much weed. I witness it all the time.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
*sigh*
naw weed is just what shines the glass so the truth shines through, thats all
just ask the rastas
they'll tell you
lol