Will the GOP repudiate Trump’s cruelty to a fallen soldier’s family?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
GOP is going to lose the military vote for the first time in decades.

Hilary is cleaning up.

Republican politicians face a choice. They can accept Hillary Clinton’s invitation to abandon Donald Trump and prevent a redefinition of their party as a haven for bigotry. Or they can prop Trump up, try to maximize his vote — and thereby tarnish themselves for a generation.

If there were any doubts about Trump’s disqualifying lack of simple decency and empathy, he resolved them on ABC’s “This Week” over the weekend with a characteristically cruel and self-centered attack on Khizr and Ghazala Khan, an American Muslim couple whose son, Army Capt. Humayun Khan, was killed in the line of duty in Iraq.

With his wife by his side, Khizr Khan delivered what was the most devastating attack on Trump during the Democratic National Convention. Khan directly challenged Trump’s strongman ignorance: “Let me ask you, have you even read the United States Constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy.” And he said this of Trump: “You have sacrificed nothing and no one.”

Most politicians — most human beings — would have humbly declared that no sacrifice is comparable to losing a son or daughter in service to the nation. Instead, Trump said he had made many sacrifices because (I’m not making this up) he “created thousands and thousands of jobs.” He said of Khizr Khan’s speech: “Who wrote that? Did Hillary’s script writers write it?”

And then he broke new ground, even for him, in heartlessness. “His wife,” Trump said, “if you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have something to say.”

Every Republican politician and commentator who continues to say that Trump is a superior or even morally equivalent choice to Hillary Clinton will now own their temporary leader’s brutality for the rest of their political careers.

Many humane Republicans know this. Ohio Gov. John Kasich spoke for them when he tweeted that “there’s only one way to talk about Gold Star parents: with honor and respect.”

This is a moment of truth for GOP leaders who passively accepted and sometimes encouraged an extremism that trafficked in religious and racial prejudice and painted President Obama as an illegitimate, power-hungry leader.

The party’s traditional chieftains assumed they could use these themes to rally an angry, aging base of white voters while keeping the forces of right-wing radicalism under control. They did not anticipate Trump. He spent years courting the far right with his charges that Obama was born abroad and set himself up in contrast to an establishment that cynically exploited its feelings.

Now, in Ronald Reagan’s revered phrase, comes a time for choosing. House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell look feeble and vacillating when they try to distance themselves from Trump outrages while maintaining their support for his election. They embody a calculating timidity as they worry about Trump’s impact on their party while also fearing for the electoral chances of their candidates if they push away Trump’s constituency.

Khizr Khan called their bluff in an interview on Friday with MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell: “This is a moral imperative for both leaders, to say to him, ‘Enough.’ ” Had Trump been watching, he would have known that Ghazala Khan also spoke out. Her reticence at the convention, she explained, arose from grief over her lost son that made it difficult even to talk about him. She powerfully made her point again in an essay published online Sunday morning by The Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...e43188-573f-11e6-9aee-8075993d73a2_story.html

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The GOP spin machine is probably in deep conference, right now trying to brain storm their way out:

"She's only a Muslin. Why the fuss?" No, no. Muslims vote too ... for now, anyway.

"Dead soldiers are a bunch of losers like the POWs are." No way. My grand-pappy died at Guadalcanal and he weren't no loser.

"Donald MEANT to say that the poor woman is still silent in grief. Hillary turned the message around, somehow."

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
... Wonder if Hilary is going to personally apologize to the families of the soldiers and diplomats that she allowed to get butchered and dragged through the streets of Benghazi.

Maybe she can bring along her tax returns as well at the same time

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
GOP is going to lose the military vote for the first time in decades.

Hilary is cleaning up.

Republican politicians face a choice. They can accept Hillary Clinton’s invitation to abandon Donald Trump and prevent a redefinition of their party as a haven for bigotry. Or they can prop Trump up, try to maximize his vote — and thereby tarnish themselves for a generation.

If there were any doubts about Trump’s disqualifying lack of simple decency and empathy, he resolved them on ABC’s “This Week” over the weekend with a characteristically cruel and self-centered attack on Khizr and Ghazala Khan, an American Muslim couple whose son, Army Capt. Humayun Khan, was killed in the line of duty in Iraq.

With his wife by his side, Khizr Khan delivered what was the most devastating attack on Trump during the Democratic National Convention. Khan directly challenged Trump’s strongman ignorance: “Let me ask you, have you even read the United States Constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy.” And he said this of Trump: “You have sacrificed nothing and no one.”

Most politicians — most human beings — would have humbly declared that no sacrifice is comparable to losing a son or daughter in service to the nation. Instead, Trump said he had made many sacrifices because (I’m not making this up) he “created thousands and thousands of jobs.” He said of Khizr Khan’s speech: “Who wrote that? Did Hillary’s script writers write it?”

And then he broke new ground, even for him, in heartlessness. “His wife,” Trump said, “if you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have something to say.”

Every Republican politician and commentator who continues to say that Trump is a superior or even morally equivalent choice to Hillary Clinton will now own their temporary leader’s brutality for the rest of their political careers.

Many humane Republicans know this. Ohio Gov. John Kasich spoke for them when he tweeted that “there’s only one way to talk about Gold Star parents: with honor and respect.”

This is a moment of truth for GOP leaders who passively accepted and sometimes encouraged an extremism that trafficked in religious and racial prejudice and painted President Obama as an illegitimate, power-hungry leader.

The party’s traditional chieftains assumed they could use these themes to rally an angry, aging base of white voters while keeping the forces of right-wing radicalism under control. They did not anticipate Trump. He spent years courting the far right with his charges that Obama was born abroad and set himself up in contrast to an establishment that cynically exploited its feelings.

Now, in Ronald Reagan’s revered phrase, comes a time for choosing. House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell look feeble and vacillating when they try to distance themselves from Trump outrages while maintaining their support for his election. They embody a calculating timidity as they worry about Trump’s impact on their party while also fearing for the electoral chances of their candidates if they push away Trump’s constituency.

Khizr Khan called their bluff in an interview on Friday with MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell: “This is a moral imperative for both leaders, to say to him, ‘Enough.’ ” Had Trump been watching, he would have known that Ghazala Khan also spoke out. Her reticence at the convention, she explained, arose from grief over her lost son that made it difficult even to talk about him. She powerfully made her point again in an essay published online Sunday morning by The Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...e43188-573f-11e6-9aee-8075993d73a2_story.html

Yer really scrapin the bottom of the barrel. Just wait until January when he will be Prez The DONALD.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yer really scrapin the bottom of the barrel. Just wait until January when he will be Prez The DONALD.

The chances of that happening are about 1 in 3 and falling fast. The guy is a loose cannon who can't seem to close his big, fat gate and one of these "utterances" will be fatal and beyond the pros in the GOP to repair. Actually, the only effective weapon at their disposal at all are internet shills and planted confederates, such as yourselves.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
... Wonder if Hilary is going to personally apologize to the families of the soldiers and diplomats that she allowed to get butchered and dragged through the streets of Benghazi.

Maybe she can bring along her tax returns as well at the same time

^ this fukkin' guy

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
What's the basis for your 1 in 3 stat?

There isn't one beyond common sense. Most of you guys who support him are fringe sociopaths on the very edge of your own country's political life, never to find satisfaction. Extrapolate that for whole continent, and you get 1 in 3 as an extremely optimistic guess. It may come down to even longer odds that that unless frog mouth shuts the fukc up and stops making bizarrely stupid Tweets.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
There isn't one beyond common sense. Most of you guys who support him are fringe sociopaths on the very edge of your own country's political life, never to find satisfaction. Extrapolate that for whole continent, and you get 1 in 3 as an extremely optimistic guess. It may come down to even longer odds that that unless frog mouth shuts the fukc up and stops making bizarrely stupid Tweets.

Nice.

Do you and Hilary get a volume discount on your jack boots if you buy from the same outlet?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Nice.

Do you and Hilary get a volume discount on your jack boots if you buy from the same outlet?

Jack Boots...ROFLMFAO.... priceless.... and what's even more priceless, is the fact that you won't understand why I'm laughing at you.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Exactly what kind of answer did you expect in response to someone's intuition?

Don't answer that, you won't understand why so many will be laughing at your response

I would expect something less "hypocritical". I know, I know, that's a difficult one to accomplish when supporting Trump.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I hope you all saw the Muslim woman on CNN tonight interviewed by Poppy. Disapproved of Khan's attack on Trump and vowed to vote for Trump. Said also that Trump has strong support in her community.

This Khan story is a sad example of trying to score political points on the death of a war hero. Hillary and the media who keep harping on it should be ashamed of themselves.
1) How many thousands of grieving parents of fallen soldiers could have been interviewed if that were the sole objective? What about the parents of the Benghazi soldiers? What about the soldiers gunned down at Fort Hood by a fellow MUSLIM soldier? I wonder how THEY feel!!
2) Veterans are just like everyone else; some support Trump, some support Clinton. Parading out a few who support her doesn't mean crap!
3) Khan is nuts when he says he wouldn't even be here if Trump had his way. Baloney! It's not Muslims who should be banned, It is Muslims who practice Sharia law. Sharia law contravenes the constitutions of free countries. It is male dominated, women can be beaten, girls can be prevented from attending school, babies can be forced to marry old men. And then there's genital mutilation and 'honor killings'. Sharia law is incompatible with American society and any Muslims who practice it should damned well be kept out.

If Mr. Khan is as patriotic as he claims to be there would be no problem with his immigration.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
This Khan story is a sad example of trying to score political points on the death of a war hero. Hillary and the media who keep harping on it should be ashamed of themselves.

Are you all there "Mom"?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So wait, the GOP who has been f*cking veterans around for some time now, is suddenly all caring and concerned about the dead ones and their families. Pardon my disbelieving "HA!"

Look, it's simple. Trump doesn't represent the political elite, or more accurately, isn't part of the political elite. This has the GOP scared sh*tless and it's why Bernie got f*cked over by the Dems and the MSM. Clinton is part of the political elite as well. NONE of them want someone with way different ideas coming in and screwing up the good thing they have going for themselves.

To me, for good or bad, it seems the Republican supporters are sick and tired of the same criminals telling the same tired lies and peddling the same tired merchandise year after year.
The Democrat supporters on the other hand seem only to happy to eat it up as fast as it can be dished out.

And judging by Wally's red mark, he likes the status quo as well. ;-)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The chances of that happening are about 1 in 3 and falling fast. The guy is a loose cannon who can't seem to close his big, fat gate and one of these "utterances" will be fatal and beyond the pros in the GOP to repair. Actually, the only effective weapon at their disposal at all are internet shills and planted confederates, such as yourselves.
So how would you feel about America if Ted Cruz was the nominee ? Probably about the same , right ? Or perhaps Jeb Bush , how is he ?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Clinton On Benghazi Mother: She May Not Fully Recall What I Told Them About The Video – Need To Know Network

Media hypocrisy about grieving parents on full display - The American MirrorThe American Mirror

What The Media Is Not Telling You About The Muslim Who Attacked Donald Trump: He Is A Muslim Brotherhood Agent Who Wants To Advance Sharia Law And Bring Muslims Into The United States | Walid Shoebat