It's time to ban assault weapons in the U.S.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ban assault weapons now: Our view

A common thread links the mass slaughters of first-graders in Newtown, Conn., of county workers in San Bernardino, Calif., and of nightclub patrons in Orlando: The killers used assault-style weapons that are efficient machines of murder.

Such weapons are accurate and quick, firing with just the twitch of a finger, perfect for mowing down human beings, particularly if equipped with high-capacity magazines. They have become the weapon of choice of people intent on mayhem, most recently Omar Mateen in Orlando, who brought an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle to the packed nightclub where he killed 49 and wounded 53 early Sunday.

Conveniently for aspiring mass killers, such weapons are easy to buy legally in most states. Which is one reason that after just about every mass shooting, there are calls for a national ban on this style of weapon, originally designed for war. And to outlaw the high-capacity magazines, with more than 10 rounds, that help make them so deadly.

Would these bans prevent all mass shootings? Of course not. Are they a substitute for doing everything possible to identify and thwart would-be Islamic terrorists? No. Would the bans save lives and make it harder to carry out mass murder? Yes. And that alone makes them worth doing.

Assault weapons were banned once before, for a decade starting in 1994. Law-abiding citizens were still able to defend themselves. Hunters were still able to hunt. Mass shootings did not end, but two studies suggest that the law helped by gradually reducing the number of assault weapons used in crimes.

While assault weapons equipped with high-capacity magazines are used in only a small percentage of crimes, holding down the size of magazines could save lives, Johns Hopkins' researchers reported in 2012. Even if the ban eventually prevented only 20% of those incidents, that would translate into 100 fewer homicides and 500 fewer people wounded by gunshots per year.

The 1994 law might have been even more successful had it been crafted more strictly. But gun makers are adept at finding legal loopholes, and this was no exception. They tweaked their products and sold the revised version legally.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
But howeryagonna defend yerself aginst the guvvermint, the aleans, the mexikins, the naygras in los anglese, that big UN army up in keyanada thater gonna go door to door an take are guns away?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The FBI investigated him twice.
funny, that is also a common thread amongst all these killings
the FBI investigated and let the perp go...
and usually these perps are not just let go
they are PROTECTED right to the crime

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It could be because of the infallible nature of the FBI. I wonder how big their Al Qaida file was in 2000?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Two more years and my tank will be operational, the T34 plans I have scaled down and substittuted a Toyota engine and a spring operated cannon a few hundred bucks and I'm off to crush Ottawa.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Two more years and my tank will be operational, the T34 plans I have scaled down and substittuted a Toyota engine and a spring operated cannon a few hundred bucks and I'm off to crush Ottawa.

The Novas and their armoured subdivisions ...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
fun fact: assault rifles (weapons) are fully automatic. but anyway.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The Novas and their armoured subdivisions ...

We started this country, you should have more respect, we can end it

You can't ban assault weapons, the economy needs the input, you'll drive production under and the country with it. With out assauylt weapons they'll just take your chickens and give you the finger.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Are you referring to the wh0re houses that built up around Nelson's navy docks?

The good old days.

You could tie up anywhere.

I remember the tea clippers fondly.

All the way to China to get some.

Trunceated by a Japanese torpedo, I was eaten by a shark. Sometimes you win sometimes you get eaten, no matter you still have to pass the test before you can retire to the garden.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

A common thread links the mass slaughters of first-graders in Newtown, Conn., of county workers in San Bernardino, Calif., and of nightclub patrons in Orlando: The killers used assault-style weapons that are efficient machines of murder.

Such weapons are accurate and quick, firing with just the twitch of a finger, perfect for mowing down human beings, particularly if equipped with high-capacity magazines. They have become the weapon of choice of people intent on mayhem, most recently Omar Mateen in Orlando, who brought an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle to the packed nightclub where he killed 49 and wounded 53 early Sunday.

Conveniently for aspiring mass killers, such weapons are easy to buy legally in most states. Which is one reason that after just about every mass shooting, there are calls for a national ban on this style of weapon, originally designed for war. And to outlaw the high-capacity magazines, with more than 10 rounds, that help make them so deadly.

Would these bans prevent all mass shootings? Of course not. Are they a substitute for doing everything possible to identify and thwart would-be Islamic terrorists? No. Would the bans save lives and make it harder to carry out mass murder? Yes. And that alone makes them worth doing.

Assault weapons were banned once before, for a decade starting in 1994. Law-abiding citizens were still able to defend themselves. Hunters were still able to hunt. Mass shootings did not end, but two studies suggest that the law helped by gradually reducing the number of assault weapons used in crimes.

While assault weapons equipped with high-capacity magazines are used in only a small percentage of crimes, holding down the size of magazines could save lives, Johns Hopkins' researchers reported in 2012. Even if the ban eventually prevented only 20% of those incidents, that would translate into 100 fewer homicides and 500 fewer people wounded by gunshots per year.

The 1994 law might have been even more successful had it been crafted more strictly. But gun makers are adept at finding legal loopholes, and this was no exception. They tweaked their products and sold the revised version legally.

As long as the government has assault rifles the populace needs them as well.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
The good old days.

You could tie up anywhere.

I remember the tea clippers fondly.

All the way to China to get some.

Trunceated by a Japanese torpedo, I was eaten by a shark. Sometimes you win sometimes you get eaten, no matter you still have to pass the test before you can retire to the garden.
Off to the drunk tank with ye three hots and a cot except on weekends