Pope Francis says Trump's views on immigration 'not Christian'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Asked about Donald Trump's views on immigration, Pope Francis says anyone who wants to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexican border isn't Christian.

Trump, a leading U.S. Republican presidential candidate, has promised to build a wall along the Mexican border from Texas to California and expel 11 million people who are in the country illegally if elected president. The Pope's comments en route home from Mexico came hours after he prayed at the Mexico-U.S. border for people who died trying to reach the United States.

"A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian," Francis said. "This is not in the Gospel."

Pope Francis says Trump's views on immigration 'not Christian' - World - CBC News

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What I find amusing is that, in response, Trump said that "No leader, especially a religious leader, should have the right to question another man's religion or faith,"

Umm, isn't that the whole point of a religious leader?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Is Trump a christian?
Trump claims to be Presbyterian.

Asked about Donald Trump's views on immigration, Pope Francis says anyone who wants to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexican border isn't Christian.

Trump, a leading U.S. Republican presidential candidate, has promised to build a wall along the Mexican border from Texas to California and expel 11 million people who are in the country illegally if elected president. The Pope's comments en route home from Mexico came hours after he prayed at the Mexico-U.S. border for people who died trying to reach the United States.

"A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian," Francis said. "This is not in the Gospel."

Pope Francis says Trump's views on immigration 'not Christian' - World - CBC News
Yes what Trump is doing is not Christian. Excluding all those who are not of the fold. Nothing like the Spanish Inquisition which was Christian but that's different.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Interesting. The Catholic church has built many, many walls. How many bridges has it built?

well they claim to have a bridge towards salvation...but first you've got to do their special little dance, pay the fee and you can cross it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
No what is being said is no one should question Trump on anything he knows everything
One person with some credibility has dared question him. I for one am not in the vanguard
of religion but this Pope I am starting to like

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
well they claim to have a bridge towards salvation...but first you've got to do their special little dance, pay the fee and you can cross it.
Umm. . . I'm not Catholic (or anything else), but I think they claim one Jeshua bar Josef of Nazareth built that bridge.

Church probably confiscated it in a shady deal.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Has anyone ever accused Trump of being Christian?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I guess Francis is okay with a border between Canada and the States as he hasn't weighed in on that issue............yet.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I guess Francis is okay with a border between Canada and the States as he hasn't weighed in on that issue............yet.
Religious leaders have no business involving themselves politically. They should mind their business and stay the hell out of politics. Another self appointed authority on things.

Religious leaders have no business involving themselves politically. They should mind their business and stay the hell out of politics. Another self appointed authority on things.
No different than the late Jerry Falwell

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not that I can stand Trump . Reality show hosts should stay the hell out as well

Have you heard about this, Ludlow?

Canada's Cape Breton Will Welcome American Refugees Fleeing President Trump

"Where women can get abortions, Muslim people can roam freely and the only 'walls' are holding up the roofs of our extremely affordable houses."

Each election cycle, there's a threat many people make but few keep: "If so-and-so wins, I'm moving to Canada!"

Now, one kind-hearted Canadian wants to help Americans keep that promise should Donald Trump win the presidency.

Rob Calabrese, a radio host in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, has set up a website called "Cape Breton If Donald Trump Wins" that pitches the island as a new home for anyone seeking refuge.

"Hi Americans! Donald Trump may become the President of your country!" a welcome message on the website reads. "If that happens, and you decide to get the hell out of there, might I suggest moving to Cape Breton Island!"

Calabrese told the National Post he's already received hundreds of emails from Americans interested in moving to the island.

“I’m in disbelief,” he said. “I wish everyone from Cape Breton could read them because they really make you proud of living here.

More:

Canada's Cape Breton Will Welcome American Refugees Fleeing President Trump