Obama: Americans will make 'sensible choice' not to elect Trump

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Obama: Americans will make 'sensible choice' not to elect Trump

Barack Obama predicted that America would not elect Donald Trump president because people would “make a sensible choice in the end”.

Speaking on Tuesday at a press conference in California after a meeting with south-east Asian leaders, the presidentcondemned the entire field of Republican candidates for their rhetoric on immigration and climate change, insisting: “This is not just Mr Trump.”

Obama claimed that foreign observers are troubled by the views being aired at Republican debates and, while frontrunner Trump’s personality draws headlines, he is far from alone. “He may up the ante in anti-Muslim sentiment, but if you look at what the other Republican candidates have said, that’s pretty troubling, too.”

The rest of the world looks to America for leadership, Obama continued. “Look at the statements that are being made by other candidates. There is not a single candidate in the Republican primary that thinks we should do anything about climate change. That’s a problem. The rest of the world look at that and says, ‘How can that be?’”

Obama said he does not believe Trump will be president – holding the nuclear codes and ensuring the banking system does not collapse – because, he said, he had faith in the American people. “I think they recognise that being president is a serious job. It’s not hosting a talkshow or a reality show, it’s not promotion, it’s not marketing. It’s hard, and a lot of people count on us getting it right.

Obama: Americans will make 'sensible choice' not to elect Trump | Law | The Guardian

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Are you guys saying that Trump is a sensible choice? Lol

Not that I'm too bothered who becomes US President and the months-long run-up to the US presidential election is the most interminably mind-numbing and boring political event in the world and I'm glad that UK general elections don't last so long (let the Americans have preening politicians begging for their votes for months and months and months and months, but we I don't want that sort of thing here), but Trump is by far the most sensible choice of all the candidates.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think what is generally sensible to any human may be applied to the American elections which are quite plainly not generally sensible to the majority of earths inhabitants. Especially as regards the election outcomes which is always the same, Americans get screwed harder than before they voted. It would seem to me that they could have opted for a recognized monarchy in the first instance because they invariably select the ruling American monarchy every time without fail. There is no political sence in the USA, and very little of any other attribute that might be mistaken for smarts. It seems Holly-Wood has educated them and MacDonalds has breast fed the whole ship of fools, and that would explain why it is now unsalvagibly wreaked on the rocks of not to distant history. It looks like Hillary Clinton will become the first and last woman president of the USA. Just because it's the only novelty choice left. It looks like election is the only thing that will save her from the electric chair. She's the worst possible choice so I feel she has the best possible chance.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I think what is generally sensible to any human may be applied to the American elections which are quite plainly not generally sensible to the majority of earths inhabitants. Especially as regards the election outcomes which is always the same, Americans get screwed harder than before they voted. It would seem to me that they could have opted for a recognized monarchy in the first instance because they invariably select the ruling American monarchy every time without fail. There is no political sence in the USA, and very little of any other attribute that might be mistaken for smarts. It seems Holly-Wood has educated them and MacDonalds has breast fed the whole ship of fools, and that would explain why it is now unsalvagibly wreaked on the rocks of not to distant history. It looks like Hillary Clinton will become the first and last woman president of the USA. Just because it's the only novelty choice left. It looks like election is the only thing that will save her from the electric chair. She's the worst possible choice so I feel she has the best possible chance.
Uh, yeah point taken now how about a tech writer to edit your posts as your spelling sucks. LOL.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Why should Obama care? He'll be enjoying his vacation digs in Dubai and answering the call to prayer 5 times a day.