Arizona lawmaker wants church attendance to be mandatory

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
We need to build a wall.....just kidding...sort of.

yikes...

Put on your Sunday clothes because an Arizona lawmaker wants to make church mandatory.

the wackadoodle:

The legislature’s debate to expand a gun owner's right to carry took a pious turn when state Sen. Sylvia Allen, R-Snowflake, suggested the real problem behind gun violence was corrupted souls.

“It is the soul that is corrupt and how we get back to a moral rebirth in this country, I don’t know,” Allen told the state’s appropriations committee on Tuesday.

But the Republican detailed a solution that she believed would keep people feeling safe without the need to carry a gun. No matter how much it would violate the Constitution seperation of church and state, Allen said she wanted a law requiring citizens to go to church.

“We are slowly eroding religion at every opportunity that we have. We should probably be debating a bill requiring every American to attend a church of their choice on Sunday to see if we can get back to having a moral rebirth,” Allen added.

Because a religious bill was not on the plate, Allen voted in favor of gun owners to broaden Second Amendment rights.

Her quip, however, quickly leaked out of the hearing when Sen. Steve Farley, D-Tuscan, shared it to social media.

Allen defended her “flippant comment” to the Arizona Capital Times, but said she misses religion’s place in public places and schools like it was in her childhood, she explained.

“People prayed, people went to church,” Allen told the Times. “I remember on Sundays the stores were closed.”

With News Wire Services.

Arizona lawmaker wants church attendance to be mandatory - NY Daily News

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I was just going to post this somewhat related story. Seems the religious debate is still going strong in Arizona....

It was just a couple of days ago that we learned the Phoenix (Arizona) City Council had given the green light to members of The Satanic Temple to deliver an invocation prayer at a meeting on February 17.

But now that word has gotten out about this, city officials are frantically trying to put the genie back in the bottle.

On Friday night, council members held an “emergency meeting” that would shut the door to the Satanists. Instead of having an open forum where anyone could request a date to deliver an invocation prayer, they want to create a rotating system where invocation speakers would have to be pre-approved.

This, by the way, is exactly why atheists and Satanists keep asking to deliver invocations in the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision in Greece v. Galloway. We know it makes people uncomfortable. But that’s too bad. Government officials just have to get used to it. If they can’t handle invocations that don’t honor their personal faith, well, that’s what we have to go through every time a Christian speaks.

Either everyone gets to speak in turn or no one gets to. That’s what the law is. The Phoenix City Council will not be able to get around that, no matter how hard they try.

It’s also very telling, I should add, that the councilors have no idea what the Satanists planned to say next month. They want to block them from speaking despite not knowing what the prayer will be. That’s some crystal-clear prejudice for you.

more

The Phoenix (AZ) City Council Is Now Trying to Block Satanists from Delivering Invocation Prayers

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There's some scary sketchy religious fackury about...it would seem.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
There's some scary sketchy religious fackury about...it would seem.
People read isolated instances like this and immediately assume the whole state is a pack of fundies. There are fanatics in this world. Usually they are aberrations. But somehow these isolated people warrant publicity. You have to ask the question , why would this warrant press ?.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
People read isolated instances like this and immediately assume the whole state is a pack of fundies. There are fanatics in this world. Usually they are aberrations. But somehow these isolated people warrant publicity. You have to ask the question , why would this warrant press ?.

I wish it were isolated. Then it would be funny, rather then a bit scary along with some ridiculousness thrown in.

I'd say it warrants press because she is a lawmaker and wants to change a portion of north america into a religiously run state.

c
New bill could make abortion completely illegal in Fla. - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
The Phoenix (AZ) City Council Is Now Trying to Block Satanists from Delivering Invocation Prayers

well there's a bunch more weird religious stories coming from places like Texas, Arizona, Idaho, etc. It's worth being aware of...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
She is looking back at simpler "better" times and equating it because people went to church. Also she isn't making a law. It was a remark which was leaked by her opponents. I think we can keep our shovels and hammers in the garage for now.

BTW. it may be too late for the wall anyways. We already have churches in Canada.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I'm inclined to agree. I wonder what exactly would be accomplished? I suppose for one hour every Sunday it may ensure no crimes are being committed. :) :)

Well unless violating the constitution is a crime. How would they get people there. In chains and shackles?
The last time that happened... well I guess that's the way you conservatives want the world to be.
You will never put your religious shackles on me. I will die for my freedom from you dummies.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I don't think we have to wonder about the Satanic control of the USA any longer. Isolated he said. hahahahahahahaha
Well there ya go darkbungchute,,we all be satan worshippers. Next Friday we're gonna sacrifice a blonde surfer from California. :).

I wish it were isolated. Then it would be funny, rather then a bit scary along with some ridiculousness thrown in.

I'd say it warrants press because she is a lawmaker and wants to change a portion of north america into a religiously run state.

c
New bill could make abortion completely illegal in Fla. - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

well there's a bunch more weird religious stories coming from places like Texas, Arizona, Idaho, etc. It's worth being aware of...
I'm from Arizona. It's a big state and quite honestly,,,we don't hear much about things like this and it's just business as usual in the big cities. Now and then a weird story is in the news but no one takes it seriously. The thought if this "dominion theology" is highly exaggerated.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I'm not assuming anything about the entire state, Lud. Still, shining a little light in the darkness is never a bad thing, no?

ye paranoid. :).

Naw...............just lookin' for a bit of work for my friends. I was a Canadian Ranger myself for several years.