U.S. same-sex marriage challenged by native American sovereignty

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
so hard to keep all these trigger issues organized in a sunny shiny head these days.

can anyone help me understand where this stands on the "Social Justice Pecking Order"?

I forget, is it aboriginals before homosexuals, or are homosexuals higher up on the totem pole?

Native American groups aren't bound by the U.S. Constitution, so they aren't obliged to recognize same-sex marriages.

FLAGSTAFF, ARIZ.—Cleo Pablo married her longtime partner when gay weddings became legal in Arizona and looked forward to the day when her wife and their children could move into her home in the small native American community outside Phoenix where she grew up.

That day never came. The Ak-Chin Indian Community doesn’t recognize same-sex marriages and has a law that prohibits unmarried couples from living together. So Pablo voluntarily gave up her tribal home and now is suing the tribe in tribal court to have her marriage validated.

“I want equal opportunity,” Pablo said. “I want what every married couple has.”

Pablo’s situation reflects an overlooked storyline following the U.S. Supreme Court’s historic decision this year that legalized same-sex marriages nationwide: native American reservations are not bound by the decision and many continue to forbid same-sex marriages and deny insurance and other benefits.

U.S. same-sex marriage challenged by native American sovereignty | Toronto Star

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
But Ladders!

But Faith!

But messiah's!

But dirty Albertans!

But......more people should just eat a snickers bar. As we've all seen on TV, it rights all that's wrong with a person. Plus added benefit of not being able to talk with a full mouth. I call it a win/win.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
But......more people should just eat a snickers bar. As we've all seen on TV, it rights all that's wrong with a person. Plus added benefit of not being able to talk with a full mouth. I call it a win/win.
But peanut allergies!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Peanut allergies/thinning out the herd. To-MA-to/To-MAH-to.

:D
OMG, I'm going to make that my sig and run around like my hair was on fire freaking out about you!

It's those bastards in AB that are the root cause in this.... There oughta be a law or at least some kind of cull.

Fer fukk sakes.. Ya made me choke on my coffee

I may send you a bill for the new keyboard that I'll be needing
I can give you the number of my complaints dept. They're only open Mondays, from 12:00 to 12:01.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Native American groups aren't bound by the U.S. Constitution, so they aren't obliged to recognize same-sex marriages.

On the contrary, Congress has plenary power over the tribes:

https://tm112.community.uaf.edu/unit-1/u-s-constitution-and-congress/

and it has increased its authority over the tribes over the years including passage of the ICRA:

Indian Civil Rights Act Resources on the Tribal Court Clearinghouse

on this basis, I would venture to guess the archaic O'odham law will be legally voided in Federal court