Native American Student ‘Not Expelled' In Genocide Argument

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Native American Student ‘Not Expelled' In Genocide Argument

Sacramento State University said Monday a student who firmly disputed a history professor’s interpretation of genocide was not expelled from the course for her conduct as initially reported. History professor Maury Wiseman ended class early Friday after Native-American student Chiitaanibah Johnson allegedly hijacked the class by presenting her argument for why genocide is an apt description of what happened to native people at the hands of European colonizers and their descendants.
“The university would like to make it clear that our student, Chiitaanibah Johnson, was not expelled or disenrolled from this history course. Under university policy, a professor cannot unilaterally disenroll a student from a class,” said a statement released Monday by President Robert S. Nelsen, who said he is investigating what happened before taking any action.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
To preserve the holly-wood version of the myth of benevolent democracy and the exceptionalism of the American experiance expulsion has certainly been exercised. Don't talk about it, a few hundred years from now they will have forgotten or maybe disappeared, myth intact.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, it was certainly at least attempted cultural genocide - the systematic destruction of language, traditions, etc. of a distinct group(s) of people. And in fact, it was successful in some subgroups of native North Americans.
Can't see how anyone could be ejected for making an argument on that basis.

More of the story:

History Teacher Denies Native American Genocide, Native Student Disagrees, Gets Expelled - Counter Current News

Native American: I Was Kicked out of Class over 'Genocide'
She got off easy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Is assimilation really genocide? Or just a brave attempt to bring a primitive culture up to current levels of knowledge. Best we can tell notives never even had a wheel until Europeans came here.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Is assimilation really genocide? Or just a brave attempt to bring a primitive culture up to current levels of knowledge. Best we can tell notives never even had a wheel until Europeans came here.
To be fair, they didn't need the wheel. First off they had no heavy draught animals so who or what was gonna pull the wagon that's developed after the wheel? Necessity is the mother of invention. If you don't need it, you don't invent it. And finally, considering the extensive river system in North America, the waterways were their highways.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

A very good wheel.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Sorry, we don't have any more continents to give you. How bout a potato? Some tobacco? Maize? Sh*tload of dreamcatchers?
A potato? What are ya, friggin' Irish?
Tobacco? Oh hell no. I gotta admit though, it's the Native smokes that finally convinced me to quit smoking. Damn those things were awful. I swear the last carton I got was floor sweepin's.

Maize? Now there's an invention/creation/development that your southern cousins don't get near enough credit for. Take a weed and turn it into the world's largest cash crop.

You can keep the dreamcatchers, my wife took up making those.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You can keep the dreamcatchers, my wife took up making those.
Cultural appropriation! I am MOST offended!

Course, I'm not offended when other Indian nations who never had the dreamcatcher as part of their cultures start making 'em. All a matter of exactly where one draws the line on one's hypocrisy, doncha know, old boy?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Cultural appropriation! I am MOST offended!

Course, I'm not offended when other Indian nations who never had the dreamcatcher as part of their cultures start making 'em. All a matter of exactly where one draws the line on one's hypocrisy, doncha know, old boy?
True enough eh?